Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: terminal bat confusion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Name is Snick
wacko.gif

I removed my negative battery cable.
Then removed my alternator for repair.

Now I want to charge my battery.

Should I reinstall my negative battery cable on the battery before installing the charger cables? (Alternator still removed)
I normally install the charger cables to each battery post.

Is there any reason to connect either the negative battery cable or the negative charger cable to a chassis ground?

Thanks
Mikey914
No , you can charge the battery in the car by just connecting to terminals. Cables removed, preferably.
Dave_Darling
The only reason to hook up one or both of your battery cables is if you are going to be using those cables or the chassis itself as hookup points for the charger.

If you're just hooking the charger directly to the battery posts, you don't have to connect the battery to the car at all.

Make sure you don't hook it up backwards, that will make sparks and won't make you happy.

--DD
rgalla9146

If you do it with the negative cable attached make sure the disconnected red alternator
wire is not touching anything on the engine
Name is Snick
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 9 2023, 09:24 AM) *

If you do it with the negative cable attached make sure the disconnected red alternator
wire is not touching anything on the engine

You mean the red alternator wire on the alternator end I presume.

I went ahead and removed both battery cables and placed charging cables on each battery terminal to avoid any confusion. (my confusion)

I have placed each charging cable on each terminal post for years while both battery cables remained installed with no problems. But today I read the instructions on the charger block. It said to attach the negative charger wire to a chassis ground. Evidently, I have been doing it wrong for decades. I have no chassis ground available within reach so I will continue to do it as I have in the past and hopefully, I won't blow up.

Thanks
Dave_Darling
IIRC, they suggest you connect to a chassis ground so that if a spark is created it won't ignite any hydrogen gas that the battery is giving off. Odd are very low of that ever happening, but you reduce them even further if you make the last connection (the ground) away from the battery. And I'm pretty sure the hydrogen igniting would really ruin your day. (Or your year. Or your life.)

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.