Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MattR
I've been chasing a nasty oil leak for about 6 weeks at the oil cooler on my freash 2056. Earlier that day I thought it may be oil pressure that was causing my problems. My electrical VDO gauge pegged past 80 psi, but I bought a mechanical gauge and it showed everything was normal (60psi at idle and 75 at revs). Well I was about ready to throw in the towel when Clayton drove down from Orange County and took a crack at it. He was here for a good 7 hours and we got it! It was a combination of things:

1) The oil cooler seals needed some RTV to work right. He put a small bead in the edge of the seal, let it cure, and bolted it on after cleaning the entire cooler and block with laquer thinner.

2) We removed the galley plugs, cleaned the areas up (where I tried to coat the threads in RTV) and used teflon tape.

3) Earlier I had a suspicion my oil filter housing gasket was leaking, so I pulled it and in the process the gasket tore. I couldnt find a suitable replacement so I made another one. My gasket SUCKED compared to the gasket the beautiful and talented Dorothy made. We coated that in the copper spray gasket sealent and cleaned the SHIT out of the block and housing.

So it was a combination of those things.

SO the engine is just about leak free (I know these things never stop leaking, but Im closer now). And all it cost me was my first born!

Thanks again Clayton and Dorothy!!!
redshift
huh.gif

ohmy.gif

smilie_pokal.gif

AWWWRIGHT!

M
Twystd1
Matt...

You are absolutely right...

Dorothy RULES..!!!!! wub.gif

Twystd1
bd1308
awesome man!!!

good job awesome people.

JB 914
ok, now park the car in your garage and NEVER DRIVE IT!!!

then it will never leak again!! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.