Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oil leak, gone?
MattR
post Aug 19 2005, 12:20 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

I've been chasing a nasty oil leak for about 6 weeks at the oil cooler on my freash 2056. Earlier that day I thought it may be oil pressure that was causing my problems. My electrical VDO gauge pegged past 80 psi, but I bought a mechanical gauge and it showed everything was normal (60psi at idle and 75 at revs). Well I was about ready to throw in the towel when Clayton drove down from Orange County and took a crack at it. He was here for a good 7 hours and we got it! It was a combination of things:

1) The oil cooler seals needed some RTV to work right. He put a small bead in the edge of the seal, let it cure, and bolted it on after cleaning the entire cooler and block with laquer thinner.

2) We removed the galley plugs, cleaned the areas up (where I tried to coat the threads in RTV) and used teflon tape.

3) Earlier I had a suspicion my oil filter housing gasket was leaking, so I pulled it and in the process the gasket tore. I couldnt find a suitable replacement so I made another one. My gasket SUCKED compared to the gasket the beautiful and talented Dorothy made. We coated that in the copper spray gasket sealent and cleaned the SHIT out of the block and housing.

So it was a combination of those things.

SO the engine is just about leak free (I know these things never stop leaking, but Im closer now). And all it cost me was my first born!

Thanks again Clayton and Dorothy!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
MattR   Oil leak   Aug 19 2005, 12:20 PM
redshift   http://www.914world.com/bbs2/htm...   Aug 19 2005, 02:09 PM
Twystd1   Matt... You are absolutely right... Dorothy RU...   Aug 20 2005, 03:53 AM
bd1308   awesome man!!! good job awesome peop...   Aug 20 2005, 09:09 AM
JB 914   ok, now park the car in your garage and NEVER DRIV...   Aug 20 2005, 10:56 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 09:06 AM