Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Lift Bracket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
Did 914-6 engines have an engine lift bracket (aka hook or ring)? I have seen a bracket listed for some 911 engines, but perhaps that was only for later model years. I'm not finding a listing in the factory parts catalog. I realize it might not help much getting the engine in / out of the car, but it sure would be handy for getting it off the engine stand.
sixaddict
Don’t believe there is one. Recently disassembled mine and there wasn’t one.
porschetub
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Dec 12 2023, 01:34 PM) *

Don’t believe there is one. Recently disassembled mine and there wasn’t one.

A handy thing to have for fitting engine to stand for sure,I attached chain to my one and a chain to the engine mount carrier with a spreader bar ,then used a chainblock to lift it ,all heavy duty as these are bloody heavy ,I think maybe they only came on the 911 motor as mine is ? but not a 100% on that.
Certainly worth fitting one ,a request on WTB section should come up with one.
beer.gif .
Front yard mechanic
Don’t use a chain use a nylon 2” hd ratchet strap crisscross and lift from that easy peasy
burton73
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Dec 12 2023, 07:29 PM) *

Don’t use a chain use a nylon 2” hd ratchet strap crisscross and lift from that easy peasy

Great idea

Best Bob B

porschetub
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Dec 13 2023, 03:29 PM) *

Strange comment , I use rated chain and shackles ,chain isn't rapped around the motor ,spreader has even hanging points down to chains central to the eyelet and to lower point on mount front of the engine and simple to level by adjusting chain ,isn't that simple dry.gif ?.
Your method involves more work because you have to remove heat exchangers ,engine tins ,etc so you don't bend then inwards when the weight is that not less simple lol-2.gif .
Anyway what would I know as just an engineer of 32yrs slap.gif slap.gif .
Have a nice day beer.gif .
930cabman
My 6 has an eyelet on the flywheel end, it with a long 1/2" eye bolt through the engine mount on the other end.

EZ button

Front yard mechanic
Engineers are very smart
porschetub
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 14 2023, 02:03 PM) *

My 6 has an eyelet on the flywheel end, it with a long 1/2" eye bolt through the engine mount on the other end.

EZ button

Works good ,and real easy ,thanks , but still think it is only on rear of 911 motors ?, beer.gif .
930cabman
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 13 2023, 09:43 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 14 2023, 02:03 PM) *

EZ button

Works good ,and real easy ,thanks , but still think it is only on rear of 911 motors ?, beer.gif .

probably true, this motor came from a 1975 911. Engine builder went though it from top to bottom
Optimusglen
Maybe it's just a 911 motor thing, on my 6 (from a 911T) I have the eyelet by the flywheel wnd, but used a big strap for the other end.
zoomCat
QUOTE(DennisV @ Dec 11 2023, 04:05 PM) *

Did 914-6 engines have an engine lift bracket (aka hook or ring)? I have seen a bracket listed for some 911 engines, but perhaps that was only for later model years. I'm not finding a listing in the factory parts catalog. I realize it might not help much getting the engine in / out of the car, but it sure would be handy for getting it off the engine stand.

The PET doesn’t appear to show the lift bracket, but the shop manual does.

Click to view attachment
Listed as item 52, called an ‘eye’. The engine won’t balance on it, you need something to lift from the other end. I’ve used nylon webbing, I’d consider an eyebolt through the engine mount somewhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.