Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires- three contenders. Update- tires mounted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roundtwo
Yeah, yeah, yeah....lots of strings about tires...However, anyone run any of these tires?

Have a 1971 914-4 with 2.0 l. Pedrini wheels.

Parameters for driving:

Spirited driving, no track stuff. Crappy roads at times but also good roads here and there. No snow, likely very little rain, california coastal weather with hot inland driving. Dry pavement 99 % of the time. Like to drive the car hard when given the opportunity.

Bought the car recently with tiny, very old yokohamas 100es tread. 195/50/15". Other than the tire size, they look right on the car. Clean, simple sidewall without a bunch of patterns/ graphics. Not too modern, a little more old school. No longer made.
I'm pretty set on the tire sizes 195/60 or 195/65. Do not want to risk fitment issues with 205s. Rear fenders not rolled.

Saving the big tire budget for the 914-6 that needs new tread.

Looking at a couple choices as these come in 60s and 65s:

-YOKOHAMA YK-GTX 195 /60 R15 88H SL BSW or YOKOHAMA AVID GT S35
195 /60 R15 88H SL BSW

-VREDESTEIN HITRAC ALL SEASON 195/60/15", I had these on a bone stock 914 1.7 briefly and didn't really get to drive them or push at all.

-See some folks running these but I don't see great reviews online.
KUMHO SOLUS TA51A 195 /60 R15 and other Kumhos.

-Lots of allweather tires look like they would look right on a mini van so I'm trying to stay away from that look.

Reference:
195/65 25.4" Essentially stock diameter.
195/60 24.2
195/70 25.7

Strong opinions welcome popcorn[1].gif
roundtwo
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

roundtwo
Click to view attachment
windforfun
Michelin XZX 165SR15 IIRC from Coker Tire. Where can I get a set of those wheel caps?

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
FlacaProductions
I believe those are stickers on stock caps. I have similar/same from https://3dcarstickers.com/search/?searchstring=porsche
I chose 44mm
Click to view attachment
roundtwo
@winform
@flavaproductions

Checking Flava’s link, it looks like those are the stickers. Great resource.
On the car they look 3d rubberized of some sort. Have some height. Do not have the look of a traditional sticker- look really good

Looking for tire review vs size. Cool Coker’s but only up to 165s available.
Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(windforfun @ Dec 16 2023, 02:52 PM) *

Michelin XZX 165R15 IIRC from Coker Tire. Where can I get a set of those wheel caps?

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

I second these, a bit pricey, but close to original size and ride.

Most guys go for "oversized tires", I am not in that camp
Shivers
In my humble opinion, it depends on how you like to drive on play days. 205’s are too small in my opinion, though they were sooo much better than any tire I had before them. On my car the tires were the weakest link. They would break loose into a 4 wheel drift in a corner way before the suspension ever felt taxed. I’m now adding flares so I can run 225’s all around. So if you don’t need larger tires the 165’s look great in those pictures. But if you do, don’t settle for a smaller tire. Again, just my humble opinion. @roundtwo
MDTerp
I put the VREDESTEIN HITRAC ALL SEASON 195/65/15 tires on my car this summer. I've put about 2k miles on them including a drive on The Tail of the Dragon at Okteenerfest this year. Replaced a set of Goodyear Eagle Sport of the same size. I'd say these felt sticker and a good match for the car. I'd buy them again.
Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
195 isn't an exact measurement. Sometimes it's wider than a different model 205.

205/60 should get you something stickier than all season econo car sizes.

You can always do 1 tire and fit it before committing, or borrow a wheel from a neighboring 4teener.
bkrantz
To me, 196/65-15 is a good size.

I can't comment on the tires you listed. I have been running Sumitomo HTR A/S P03, in the category Tire Rack calls Ultra High Performance All Season. So far I am happy, but have not pushed them very hard.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...mp;autoModClar=
infraredcalvin
IMO anything larger than 55 sidewall is too tall, it takes the ‘sport’ right out of the stance of the car. I do track my cars though… to each their own…

In general, taller walls are going to give you more rollover and feel a bit more squishy in the twisties, but they will help with the bad roads you mention.

Your previous tires had a tw of 280, I would find similar tw ratings which should equate to how sticky they are to the road. I have fallen in love with 200 tw tires lately, 195/55 gives you a few choices.
Justinp71
I love Yokohama's. Have the YK-CTX on the SUV and the Advan Apex on the 996 and Advan Sport A/S+ on the Audi. Good wear, value, quiet and great grip. Like a longer lasting Michelin I feel like.

Advan Neova as the track tire, apparently I should buy their stock smile.gif.
FlacaProductions
I'm with @infraredcalvin - i have 195/55's on mine - came that way and I like it. Had my speedo recalibrated by North Hollywood Speedo to read correct.
rjames
I also have the Vredestein Hitrac all season SLs last year and like them a lot- with one caveat: I bought the 195/65R-15 size which I wouldn’t do again. I’d go back 195/60r-15 like I had before. The 65s look a little balloonish to me and maybe I’m just imagining it, but I seem to notice more sidewall flex.
saigon71
I run 195 /65 R15 tires on the 914 - All around good look and handling for a "stockish" street car.

I'm a big fan of Kuhmo Solus tires. I run them on both the 914 and truck. In my opinion, they are the best bang for the buck and last longer than some others.

Geezer914
Running Firestone Firehawk AS 195/60x15. Speedo is about 7 miles fast. I had 195/55x15 and the Speedo was around 10 miles fast. At 65 mph I was around 4000 rpm! 205/60x15 looked like donuts on the car, mounted on 5.5" rims is putting them at their limit.
Nate W
I have the Yokohama Avid ascend GT in 195/60-15
Haven’t put many miles on them yet but so far so good. Broke the rear tires loose once so far
Click to view attachment
roundtwo

@shivers

Lots of great feedback and advice

Going with....

YOKOHAMA
YK-GTX
195 /60 R15"

65- just a little too tall sidewall. Too dopey looking and looking for less sidewall flex mainly.

205- don't want to go through extra work to see if these might/ might not fit. Get the width varies with manufactures but had one experience with tires not fitting and thats enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth over fitness.

Out the door set of four from Americas Tires for $613 including balancing and tax.

I'm fine with the speedo being off a bit and if it needs correction it will go off to Joe's Speedometer in Los Angeles. He calibrated my speed for my six and converted the tach for the pertronix box. Can't say enough good things about him. Highly recommend, easy to talk to, good turn around time, fair pricing and very knowledgeable about VDO gauges.

Happy motoring! driving.gif
flipb
I've got an older set of Vredestein T-tracs on my '74 in stock size (165/80 15) and I'm very happy with them. Durable and just the right degree of sticky.
roundtwo
QUOTE(flipb @ Dec 18 2023, 06:30 AM) *

I've got an older set of Vredestein T-tracs on my '74 in stock size (165/80 15) and I'm very happy with them. Durable and just the right degree of sticky.

A couple votes for Vredestein! Thanks, Todd
Cairo94507
I am running the Sumitomo HTR A/S PO3 195x65xR15. They fit my narrow bodied car well, ride and handle well. beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 18 2023, 11:41 AM) *

I am running the Sumitomo HTR A/S PO3 195x65xR15. They fit my narrow bodied car well, ride and handle well. beerchug.gif

I'm running these as well. Speedo is accurate and the ride is comfortable. I've not done an AX on them, but for cruising they have been very nice.

I've not really put these tires through their paces yet, but they don't feel as grippy as the Kuhmo 205/55s that I had on previously. I know I used to beat on those tires and they just never gave. I've yet to try on these, but its also partly having the larger engine as well.

Zach
Karl R
Back in the day I always ran XZX because they were cheap, you could get them anywhere, they were quite good when cold, hot, wet, whatever, and they lasted a long time. I played around with some pirellis and Kuhmo's and found they were alright in some conditions, but dangerous in others. Spinning towards the cliff on PCH with P7s in the wet! Never again! I don't know much about the recent XZX, though. Maybe the same? Maybe better? Maybe worse.
roundtwo
Had a great experience at America’s tire with mounting and balancing.
Wheels mounted, so far I’m super happy with the way they look with the 60 series. Cars little taller because I haven’t taken them out for a ride yet after putting it back on the ground . I think it will settle down an inch or so.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
roundtwo
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.