Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deadline 10/1/05 -I might make it???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
I've given myself a deadline of Oct 1 to get the car running/driving. That will give me a couple of weeks to debug and wrap up some details before the 05 FFC biggrin.gif

It will be a challenge to get it done in time, but I do have a shot at it. I try to get things done quickly but the details just always seem to take more time.... and $ ohmy.gif

I've been making some progress and will share some pics as I continue to get things done. Here's some pics of my rear bumper progress.

Started with a very low rust rear bumper.
Doug Leggins
It did have several dents that needed to be removed.
Doug Leggins
I pulled the rubber top from what was my 72 driver - now a parts car and re-assembly guide.

Cleaned the rubber top really well.
Doug Leggins
-Cleaned the dog bones really well.
-Had the dogbone inserts plated.
-Bought SS washers. I couldn't find metric fender washers. So I bought US size and had to drill out the centers so the bolts would slide through.
-Bought new bolts of the correct grade. Got them from the Caterpillar parts place in Indy -thanks for the tip Sean!
Doug Leggins
Painted the back side of the freshly re-chromed bumper. It had some discoloration in a couple of areas. I know! No one will see the back side, but it looked like it would be more succeptible to rusting wacko.gif Plus it looked like the factory painted the back sides of the bumpers for some reason confused24.gif
Doug Leggins
Installed the rubber top with SS nuts and washers.
Doug Leggins
I had to remove a broken off tow eye hook before installing the bumper. That hook had been broken off in there for 15+ years but came out amazingly easy smile.gif

Installed the bumper and screwed in the tow eye hook for a look.
Doug Leggins
Cleaned up the license plate lights and installed with SS washers and screws.
Doug Leggins
I also had the tow eye hook hole plug re-plated.

Here's the final look.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Doug: Keep up the good work,thats the motivation. We all can't wait to see it Oct.21. Dave slap.gif
Kargeek
Outstanding work! Your rear lower pan is supposed to go on before the bumper- I would do the same wanting to see how my new bumper looked.
redshift
Nicer, and nicer..

lol I was going to say the same ting boutda valance.. wink.gif

M
maf914
QUOTE (Doug Leggins @ Aug 19 2005, 05:42 PM)
Painted the back side of the freshly re-chromed bumper.

Okay, this is probably a dumb question and I'm overlooking the obvious. The chroming process is an electrolytic dipping process. When you get a part like the bumper chromed, why isn't the backside plated as well as the front? idea.gif

BTW, your car looks great.
ClayPerrine
Do you have the plug for the tow hook hole? If not, go to the local hardware store and buy a chrome "goof plug". It will fit the hole and it's a lot cheaper and easier to find than the stock plastic POS.

BTW... Looking good. smilie_pokal.gif
maf914
Another question. If one were willing to have a bumper plated, would it make a difference if the bumper was originally chromed or painted? Obviously painted bumpers can be found for less than chromed bumpers. Other than the plating, was there any difference in the types?
ClayPerrine
There are no differences physically between the chrome bumper and the painted bumper. You can take a painted bumper and get it chromed, and paint a chrome bumper.

Doug Leggins
Your rear lower pan is supposed to go on before the bumper

My current plan is to not install a rear valance. I like the look without it installed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.