Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do I have (early vs. late) ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
I have a '73 (build date of 12/72). I'd like to buy a set of restored latches from @bdstone914 and I'm trying to determine what latches and roof I have so I buy the right latches.

It looks like I have early latches since a quarter will fit between the bumps.

However, when I use this terrific old post re: early vs. late roofs, it appears as though I have a late top. I didn't realize early latches will work on a late top.

Is it possible that a PO put on a late top and swapped out the rubber stops from the original early top to match the early latches?

Maybe the current patchwork setup works, but doesn't fit as well? This is the only 914 I have owned. Thus, no point of reference of the fit on my end.

I'm trying to figure out what I have (what pieces are early vs. late) and what I should to correct everything. Seeking input please.

Should I try to find an early top to match the latches and that would make everything "correct?"
DC_neun_vierzehn
Latches:Click to view attachment
DC_neun_vierzehn
Top:Click to view attachment
DC_neun_vierzehn
Click to view attachment
DC_neun_vierzehn
Click to view attachment
Literati914
I’m no expert so take this for what it’s worth, but to me it looks like your receiving piece is early and your rubber block is late confused24.gif . I’d think late ‘72 would be the all late roof related components( I have two ‘72s one early and one late, and the roofs correspond as such). If you have late scissor lifts inside the doors for the windows, you should have late roof and roof accessories. That’s my understanding.

horizontally-opposed
Great thread here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 26 2023, 11:12 PM) *

@horizontally-opposed yes that’s the thread I have linked above ; )

It’s very helpful, but it lead to me having the questions I posted above. Seeking input on those questions.
bdstone914
@DC_neun_vierzehn

It is hard to tell from the way you hold the quarter.
If the latch is late the quarter should fill the gap between the bumps.

Late a quarter or nickle flat on the rubber block to see if it is early or lare.
It is common for wrong tops to get swapped.

If the top and latches are mismatched I would match the replacement latch to the top. How do the seals on the top mate to the top of the window?Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Dec 27 2023, 07:52 AM) *

yes that’s the thread I have linked above ; )

It’s very helpful, but it lead to me having the questions I posted above. Seeking input on those questions.

Ah, apologies—I somehow clicked on a. different one. smile.gif

What are the last four digits of your VIN? I have a very early MY 1973 car, built in 9/1973, and everything was 1972 spec. Agree with Bruce's logic re: the latches, and curious about the same re: the window seals. Does your car have the felt-lined "vertical" aluminum window guides in the doors or the earlier roller-guides?
DC_neun_vierzehn
Bruce, I don't have the latches out so this is the best pic I can do with the latches still on the car. As you can see the quarter does not quite touch the bumps. Thus, these are early latches, correct?

Click to view attachment
DC_neun_vierzehn
I thought I'd provide more accurate measurement images. To me it looks like the width of the rubber stops matches the latches, but maybe the rubber stops should be smaller?

This top has "worked" for as long as I've owned the car (approx. 3 years). Again, this is the only 914 I've ever owned so I have no point of reference on fitment. The latches work on this roof and with these rubber stoppers.

I think it's clear that I have a late roof and windows, but I believe I have early latches. Rubber stops ... not sure.

Looking for advice on what to do, if anything.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.