Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan Shroud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
Fitting a 2.7 into a Palma Green example from Cali, engine was built by Eksten. I have gathered a couple fan shrouds, which if either is more effective for cooling the oil,

A: Click to view attachment

Or B: Click to view attachment

Also, when fitting the intake manifolds for Weber 40 IDTP it seems as there is more gap between the manifolds and the fan shroud. Is this gap sealed?

Thanks
Retroracer
Hi - I'd suggest the green one will perform much better; looks like the black shroud has been made/modified to work with external oil coolers only. Of course, if you are planning on an external oil cooler, then the black one is the better choice.

There is a set of phenolic insulators / spacers that should sit between the heads and the manifolds. This fills the gap somewhat, but more importantly, minimizes conducted heat transfer from the engine to the carbs. You can buy these from a couple of sources, don't forget the extra gaskets too.

If you don't fit these and idle the car in hot weather, you may see clouds of gasoline gently boiling up from the carbs in the rear view mirror. Ask me how I know.....

- Tony
burton73
The green one shown will give you better cooling. Picture of the shroud on my 3.0 in red

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
@Retroracer and Bob nailed it. beerchug.gif
mlindner
Yup, top one with baffle on #6 cylinder.
930cabman
Thank you Gents, I may be coming back with a few more Q's

Hoping to run the factory oil cooler. It's a stock 2.7

The black fan shroud appears factory, but who knows ..........
brant
Fan shrouds changed early /late
It could be factory
Dion
The black one looks appropriate for a six (early) 914. As Brant stated they changed gradually adding the extension to the cooler area. More efficient with the extension.
johnhora
here you go...shroud info...original 914-6 used the one list as 2.2T...that was the start of pushing more air to the oil cooler

Click to view attachment
930cabman
Great assortment John, thanks for sharing. I have a couple and it looks as though a 2.7 version will be getting the call.

I also picked up a pair of heater block off plates and not too happy with the fit, looks like a bit of adjustment is required.
johnhora
Are the block off plates fiberglass or metal. The factory metal ones are the best fit...every fiberglass one that I have used needed some adjustments to work. Maybe someone is making better ones now...
930cabman
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jan 3 2024, 12:15 PM) *

Are the block off plates fiberglass or metal. The factory metal ones are the best fit...every fiberglass one that I have used needed some adjustments to work. Maybe someone is making better ones now...

I found the fiberglass ones on Ebay and the fit is not the best. I will try to make a few adjustments and maybe a bit of foam tape.
johnhora
Yeah it takes a little effort to get them to work. Dremel tool is good for this and you may need some fiberglass resin epoxy and fabric.
Good luck on your project..
930cabman
QUOTE(johnhora @ Jan 3 2024, 05:37 PM) *

Yeah it takes a little effort to get them to work. Dremel tool is good for this and you may need some fiberglass resin epoxy and fabric.
Good luck on your project..

Thanks, I was hoping to fill with PC 7 epoxy or maybe 18 gauge with rivets

Or maybe just start over with 18 or 20 gauge and return the ill fitting fiberglass ones
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.