Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Height of needle bearing unit in the lower steering shaft
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chaznaster
I received a new lower steering shaft needle bearing/bushing today from the Bird. On a whim, I compared it to the old one and the new one is a good 6mm shorter (see below).

Looking at how the mounting works, I think it will hit the sweet spot where the bearings ride on the machined bit in the lower shaft itself. So it might not be a big deal.

However, I'd prefer not to put everything back together only to find it causes a problem ...

Has anyone seen this before? Would you install the part or return it and find one of the taller version? Fortunately there are a number of suppliers who make this part.

Many Thanks.

Click to view attachment
Chaznaster
QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Jan 17 2024, 07:28 PM) *

I received a new lower steering shaft needle bearing/bushing today from the Bird. On a whim, I compared it to the old one and the new one is a good 6mm shorter (see below).

Looking at how the mounting works, I think it will hit the sweet spot where the bearings ride on the machined bit in the lower shaft itself. So it might not be a big deal.

However, I'd prefer not to put everything back together only to find it causes a problem ...

Has anyone seen this before? Would you install the part or return it and find one of the taller version? Fortunately there are a number of suppliers who make this part.

Many Thanks.

Click to view attachment

Bumping this. Has anyone run into this before? Thanks!
theer
Might be an early vs late difference? I know the early steering columns are different, but no idea of this part changes. Sorry I don’t have actual info.

You’re not too far from me in Concord, MA… would love to see a local 914!

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.