Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Arm Freeplay and Starter Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gnomefabtech
Hello Gang-

I'm finally getting everything on my project assembled and I noticed that the clutch are has very little freeplay. Around an 1/8". Regular 901 trans with a Kennedy pressure plate. I have heard that there can be shims under the pivot ball but I'm not sure what the freeplay should be so I'm not sure if I should remove any shims.

Next question is if there are any lightweight starters for our cars. The OG starter is pretty giant by modern standards. Will a starter off a Bug work because there seem to be a lot of options then.

Thanks
rick 918-S
No Free Play on th clutch arm.
gnomefabtech
Thanks for the reply. Just seems odd that the throwout bearing would be in constant contact with the clutch diaphragm but I guess a tiny bit of play is enough. Any thoughts on a compact starter?
peteinjp
I went through all of this earlier this year. I have all parts to replace the clutch also using kennedy stuff. Check out this thread, and see if it get, you started with your questions:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...;hl=Kennedy+arm
gnomefabtech
That makes sense now. Looks like I'm in good shape with the maximum clutch release action.

Does anyone know if a Bug starter fits our cars? Because there are some nice lightweight options there.
peteinjp
Look for a WOSP for a 914.

Pete
brant
Get a tilton starter
Gear reduction and lighter

Don’t think a bug starter would work
peteinjp
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 20 2024, 10:38 PM) *

Get a tilton starter
Gear reduction and lighter

Don’t think a bug starter would work

I had bad results with the Hi-torque brand.
Steve
hijacked.gif
I just went through this mess with my SBC 914. I have a KEP stage 3. Everything seemed fine until I installed a new trans that had a washer behind the pivot ball. Now the clutch cable was too short, so I extended the cable versus pulling the trans. Everything seemed wonky, so I pulled the trans removed the washer and installed a new Gemo cable. To get the clutch to disengage correctly, I now have no free play at the pedal. The throw out bearing is probably riding on the pressure plate, but at least it’s working.
gnomefabtech
Engine is still out of the car. I'll pull the trans off and see if there is a spacer under there. The arm is so far forward that it touches the housing of the pressure plate if you don't pull it back.
worn
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 18 2024, 12:19 PM) *

No Free Play on th clutch arm.

Right. Not knowing this caused me a great deal of money and time. Seems strange but it isn’t the only ball bearing in the car constantly spinning. Go figure though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.