Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fitting Carpet at the Hand Brake..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
I'll be installing carpet soon - specifically it's wool German square weave, if that makes a difference. I know that the longs piece(s) typically get glued down but this is not really a stretch-able carpet from my initial impressions. I'm feeling like the hand brake area is gonna look like crap in general because the rows/lines will be distorted there, but I guess that's beside the point. Anyone have experience with (this type of) carpet in this area .. or just a good technique for getting that area to fit in the hand brake recess nicely?

tygaboy
Here's what I did. Check post # 59
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...arpet&st=40
Literati914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 21 2024, 12:33 PM) *

Oh Ok, that doesn't look bad at all, good job!
Do you remember the process/order you used specifically? - Did you spray the entire carpet length with glue, as well as the entire length of the long prior to glueing (set up period)?, Or did you glue in sections then only set the rear part first, followed by the indent without letting the front and top touch? Sorry, just trying to formulate a plan here.

ps - Sorry for the word salad, I'm getting really proficient with run-on sentences type.gif

iankarr
The trick is a good and strong spray adhesive. Here's what I did, much like Chris's method:

– Glue and the carpet from the backpad to the point of the indentation. Allow the glue to set up.
– Spray the carpet and the indentation part on the body.
– Pull firmly to the left as you smooth down the carpet a little bit at a time along the indentation.

The first time I carpeted a 914 I made relief cuts at the deepest points of the e-brake indentation. Then I discovered this wasn't necessary. Good glue and a stong pull is all that's needed.
burton73
German square weave made in Italy installed my Dale in number 41. All I have are pictures

Best Bob B
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jan 21 2024, 01:09 PM) *

The trick is a good and strong spray adhesive. Here's what I did, much like Chris's method:

– Glue and the carpet from the backpad to the point of the indentation. Allow the glue to set up.
– Spray the carpet and the indentation part on the body.
– Pull firmly to the left as you smooth down the carpet a little bit at a time along the indentation.

The first time I carpeted a 914 I made relief cuts at the deepest points of the e-brake indentation. Then I discovered this wasn't necessary. Good glue and a stong pull is all that's needed.

pretty much how i did it on my rhd car.
don't try and do the whole length in one hit.
i double hit the recess too. carpet and metal.

i used brushed on contact adhesive. not spray.
which made it easier to apply glue in sections.

the original factory carpet in that section had a plastic backing that was heat formed into the shape. centre tunnel section and one of the pieces behind the seats also had same kind of backing. you won't get that these days. biggrin.gif the centre tunnel section with a modern carpet kit also deserves a bit of attention when you put it in so that it takes shape nicely. i only glued that one along the sides. so i could get it up easily again it i needed to access the tunnel for shift lever adjustment etc. the factory original was not glued down. it took the form of the tunnel and just sat there.

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
agree.gif with what others have mentioned: I glued each section separately.
Literati914
Thanks for the tips !!

mepstein
Heat it with a heat gun. Beat it into shape with a rubber mallet. Non maring mallet if you aren’t using black carpet.

Love the square weave. That’s what I’m using in my ‘67.
rgalla9146
I had the same concerns as the OP.
I was afraid the square weave would end up wrinkled and would not conform
to the recess.
I took a different approach.
I fabricated a fiberglass piece that conforms to the shape of the longitudinal.
I'm happy with the results.
I do intend to change the screws to black countersunk ones
Literati914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 21 2024, 04:43 PM) *

Heat it with a heat gun. Beat it into shape with a rubber mallet. Non maring mallet if you aren’t using black carpet.

I was thinking someone might have a tip along these lines, I'll give it a try, thanks!

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 21 2024, 10:17 PM) *

to the recess.

Wow, I like that.. If I had the same, I might cover it in my seat vinyl. You didn't happen to make a spare did ya? pray.gif

Bucci
I visited Autos International years ago and I noted they would install burlap cloth material first and then glue the carpet afterwards. I’m sure the burlap smooths the contoured surface and holds the glue better. A heat gun and steamer helps immensely. There work is beautiful..!

I had my 914 seats/ interor covered in green leather by them.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Bucci
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jan 21 2024, 08:57 AM) *

I'll be installing carpet soon - specifically it's wool German square weave, if that makes a difference. I know that the longs piece(s) typically get glued down but this is not really a stretch-able carpet from my initial impressions. I'm feeling like the hand brake area is gonna look like crap in general because the rows/lines will be distorted there, but I guess that's beside the point. Anyone have experience with (this type of) carpet in this area .. or just a good technique for getting that area to fit in the hand brake recess nicely?

Pull the E- brake handle first, it will be much easier and that’s how the factory carpets were installed.

(Literati914)
bkrantz
You do have to decide where you want the rows distorted. You can have straight rows on top of the long and curved across the hand brake level recess (and below). Or the rows can be straight near the floor but curved on top of the long.

I decided to keep the rows straight on top.
Literati914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 22 2024, 08:21 PM) *

You do have to decide where you want the rows distorted. You can have straight rows on top of the long and curved across the hand brake level recess (and below). Or the rows can be straight near the floor but curved on top of the long.

I decided to keep the rows straight on top.

Good to know, 'cause I probably would have started at the bottom and worked my way to the pinch weld seam, thanks. beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jan 22 2024, 12:27 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 21 2024, 04:43 PM) *

I was thinking someone might have a tip along these lines, I'll give it a try, thanks!

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 21 2024, 10:17 PM) *

to the recess.

Wow, I like that.. If I had the same, I might cover it in my seat vinyl. You didn't happen to make a spare did ya? pray.gif

No, did not make a spare...but with my current schedule might happen by spring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.