Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Bay Guide Tube
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Van B
Anyone making the engine bay latch guide tube?

I don't like mine.... too many scars on it.
914werke
I have an OE one I could offer?
rick 918-S
I thought 914 Rubber sold them. Forget it. I was thinking about the plastic tube in the Frunk...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
discontinued by Porsche
Van B
QUOTE(914werke @ Jan 23 2024, 03:38 PM) *

I have an OE one I could offer?

the metal tube with the threaded end right?

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the cable/wire. those are definitely still available.
wonkipop
if worst came to worst you could fab one up out of metal tube using the original as a guide for bending it and doing lots of test fitting. cut a thread on the end of it for the pull handle. likely a metric tube size.

probably what i would have to do stuck down here.

be nice if someone has one lying around on a shelf.
fairly obscure little body shell part.

what happened to the one in yours that it is "scarred".
can't be redeemed?

Superhawk996
RD sell metric tube.
Root_Werks
If Rich doesn't have one, seems like a scavenge part. Not common to need, should be a few out there if someone's willing to do the work to remove properly.

sawzall-smiley.gif
Van B
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 23 2024, 04:25 PM) *

if worst came to worst you could fab one up out of metal tube using the original as a guide for bending it and doing lots of test fitting. cut a thread on the end of it for the pull handle. likely a metric tube size.

can't be redeemed?

Both sides were over flowing with acorns when I got the car. So, when you look at my avatar photo, just know that there is a couple pounds of acorns between the hell hole, driver side, and in both rockers. Ziebart saved the longs for the most part, but the tube got badly pitted. I could patch, but it’s more work than installing a new part.
friethmiller
@Van B - had the same issue with my last build. I'll admit here on this forum that I actually used the return line from my SS fuel line kit from Tangerine racing - sorry Chris biggrin.gif . Didn't need it for my carb setup. I just carefully bent it to match my existing, rusted out one, cut the excess, zap-zip, and "done"!

Click to view attachment
Van B
Stainless would be fantastic.
wonkipop
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Jan 23 2024, 05:23 PM) *

@Van B - had the same issue with my last build. I'll admit here on this forum that I actually used the return line from my SS fuel line kit from Tangerine racing - sorry Chris biggrin.gif . Didn't need it for my carb setup. I just carefully bent it to match my existing, rusted out one, cut the excess, zap-zip, and "done"!

Click to view attachment

thats a pretty top shelf solution. nice. beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 23 2024, 01:25 PM) *

can't be redeemed?

I did it that way. Threaded with a metric die and brazed into place following the original
friethmiller
QUOTE(worn @ Jan 23 2024, 07:04 PM) *

I did it that way. Threaded with a metric die and brazed into place following the original

Nice! I think I just mig'd the tube to the back of the round washer thing that had the threaded end on it. Brazing would be better IMO. Haven't tackled that skill yet. dry.gif
Van B
thanks Rich, I can't quite tell but it looks like the far end is the lower end and has rust on it as well?

NM, I posted too quick. is that a weld repair on the lower end?
914werke
No that is Tar/coat.
The reason it is as nice as Im sure you are experiencing, that lower alternate hell "Hole" tends to catch crap & rust that tube at its lowest point as it passes through the FW.
worn
QUOTE(worn @ Jan 23 2024, 05:04 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 23 2024, 01:25 PM) *

can't be redeemed?

No! I lied. At the firewall you need a brazed on piece with threads. The tap story must have been a fantasy of how things might have been. I rescued the machined bit from the rusted tube, drilled out all the rust and then used my favorite silver brazing rod. Sorry to mislead.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.