Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me identify this new part I made No luck on PET
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
So, it seemed that these were often rusty and thought that I'd do up some of these so they could easily be replaced. Problem is I can't find them in PET to label them. I did find the shake washers (which I can easily make part of the kit), but no luck. I know they existed on my 85.5 951 (944), but not on that diagram also.

1st one to post up a factory part number( and PET reference if there is one) gets a free set mailed out.
Mikey914
You can win this x2 + 8 shake washers all in chromate.
8 x hardware +4 plates

Note the split washer in the one picture is just a reference pic, the other is from my 71 low mile car.
wonkipop
i would say its this.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

there are 8 of them?
number stacks up on listed part as quantity.
wonkipop
thanks for prompt.
i checked mine.

drivers side of mine. (meaning passenger side of your USA cars, this ones is RHD converted but pretty original car).
i'd say this is original.

Click to view attachment

but lo and behold - this on passenger side. (what you call drivers side).

Click to view attachment

i think i must have lost the bolts 30 years ago when we were doing the conversion.
and used some replacements.
must check out further. interesting.
wonkipop
ah its the actual flat plate with the twin holes.
hmmm.

my conclusion and its the best i can do - if i can trust my drivers seat (on rhs) is that it did not have shake proof washer listed as 13 in PET but instead the flat twin hole rectangular washer. all i have there is the bolts and the flat washer. but again can i trust my car. i had those seats out for the conversion 30 years ago so.........?
wonkipop
blink.gif sad.gif confused24.gif

gets worse the deeper i dig.
turned to factory workshop manual.
now i am getting an illustration that looks like my passenger seat.
mayby heinrich ran out of bolts and flat twin hole washers when he was trying to finish my car off. or went to lunch with 5 beers between seats.
i give up. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

still think my passenger seat is a north antarctica invention.
these look like pan head socket bolts in the factory workshop manual.
confused24.gif

only thing i can think of is early cars had the bolts and a sprung washer (what they are calling a spring ring is listing).
because often the factory workshop manual has illustrations from cars at the start of production and they did not always update images.
and somewhere along the way they did an update.
obvious place for an update would have been introduction of movable passenger seat in 72.
either that or its at chassis # 4742913361 mid construction. biggrin.gif beer.gif

and of course they never updated the PET because the guy doing the updates had a 10 beer lunch that day. wouldnt be the first time i have come across big lapses in the PET.
Mikey914
This is what I was running into. If you look very closely at the factory maintenance manual. It looks like the upper one has the plate. I was starting to doubt they were original, and I was thinking about my 944. It can socket cap screws and the plates I know for sure. Thought I might be able to cross reference to the 944 part, no dice.

I'm wondering where they are in the manual. if they are even documented????

Came across a few other parts like this but not many.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 30 2024, 06:42 PM) *

This is what I was running into. If you look very closely at the factory maintenance manual. It looks like the upper one has the plate. I was starting to doubt they were original, and I was thinking about my 944. It can socket cap screws and the plates I know for sure. Thought I might be able to cross reference to the 944 part, no dice.

oh i see what you are saying.
it does look like the flat plate is on the furtherest pair away in the photo.

which might mean when i put my car back together 30 years ago i got it wrong but the parts might have all ended up in one seat and the other seat instead of being mixed.
ie two bolts and one plate per seat inboard and two pan head or socket screws and washers out board. (edit - actually the other way around re inboard and outboard - RHD induced dyslexia apologies)

it is so long ago i cannot remember. but sure does look like it could be your theory taking a close look at that fuzzy factory manual. i only have a pdf scan of manual.
probably quite a clear picture in the original print version?

beerchug.gif

the bolts and plate on mine look original to me.
still got cadmium coating as per factory porsche VW hardware.

i'm not so sure about my passenger seat hardware.
could be. looks like other phillips head bolts on the car.
i don't think the washers are though. they are just flat washers.
we probably lost the spring washers on mine.
its all lost to the dim recesses of my age ravaged memory. biggrin.gif
i can remember some stuff about the conversion vividly.
other stuff i shrug and think "did i do that?"

someone here is bound to have a pretty original car with that bolt stuff unmessed with for reference.

we had all those seat rails etc out of the car for conversion.
you have to do work in that area shifting the hand brake across.
so.....i know they came out. and likely never went back in right.
back then no digi cameras to make photos along the way.
ChrisFoley
Can't help you with the part number, but I'll say that there's a definite shortage of those two hole plates for the seat rails. They are much better than round washers for that application.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 30 2024, 07:42 PM) *

They are original. I have quite a few from cars I’ve parted.
Mikey914
Thanks, I was pretty sure they were. I have an unmolested LE that I was going to check tomorrow, but the really odd thing is they are missing on the 944 PET also…….or they are buried too. I can see the 914 not being fully documented, but I know there is crossover.

Mark, any others you can think of that might use these too?
wonkipop
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 30 2024, 07:17 PM) *

Thanks, I was pretty sure they were. I have an unmolested LE that I was going to check tomorrow, but the really odd thing is they are missing on the 944 PET also…….or they are buried too. I can see the 914 not being fully documented, but I know there is crossover.

you inspired me to get the seats out.
been meaning to grease the seat rails for about 6 months.
heat of summer here now and they were getting stiff.

here is what i found.

Click to view attachment

one of the plate and bolt sets had lost its cadmium color. not unusual.
but one set still had it.

Click to view attachment

and one set of socket (phillips head) bolts still had its cadmium coating on the washers.

Click to view attachment

which leads me to believe the socket bolts and washers likely are original.

and the set up is according to your theory.
there is a plate and bolts one per chair.
and socket (phillips) bolts and washers - one per chair.
and that its not a spring washer but a flat washer.
at least by this stage. this is jan 74 car.
wonkipop
got me going now @Mikey914

here is an advert for a 914 set of seat rails for sale in europe.
if you enlarge photo you can see its got one flat plate each side.
with one bolt in it.
seller must have thought this hardware important for sale or went with rails.
probably placed them in rails as they were in car maybe?

fits your view of what you can see in factory manual photo.
outboard rails

Click to view attachment

this set up might have had something to do with the assembly line.
a procedure for fitting the seat rails and getting them alligned correctly for the 3 position tilt adjuster engagement?

i want to get to the bottom of it, to see if i ought to unscramble my hardware if its scrambled original hardware that i mixed up 30 years ago. biggrin.gif
StratPlayer
Are those plates available? In need of 1
saladin
Interesting @Mikey914 ,

The factory workshop manual shows a 1972 and later adjustable seat rail that has plates on both sides of the seat rail.

Thanks,

Ken

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
At least the late model original cars always have those plates on each side of each seat, 4 per car.
rjames
My ‘75 has them.
wonkipop
QUOTE(saladin @ Jan 30 2024, 11:03 PM) *

Interesting @Mikey914 ,

The factory workshop manual shows a 1972 and later adjustable seat rail that has plates on both sides of the seat rail.

Thanks,

Ken

Click to view attachment

yep thats good.
i should have gone a few pages on in my manual. biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
at least my passenger (drivers) seat conforms to the factory manual. biggrin.gif

......but the passenger seat (left in your world and drivers seat) also conforms kind of to the earlier picture.
with the phillips bolts. but maybe not the washers. but one is def cadmium plated.
biggrin.gif

and here is a bit more food for thought.
the early passenger seat bucket bolted straight down.
is that the twin bolt (spreader?) plate there? so it does not stress the fibreglass shell?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

mr b. ( @JeffBowlsby ) knows me. devil's advocate when it came to the 1.8s. biggrin.gif

only reason i am thinking this is i don't want to stumble into the over - restore get it right angle on life with my car. i was at least as nutty as i am now back in the michael hutchence hair cut days. i reckon i have got whatever hardware i had back in and probably where it was. which is making me think maybe the dealer messed with my car possibly way back when freshly born. fixed a seat rail whatever. and lost hardware?
and used the earlier version bolts.

in which case i think i will leave it all alone and trust my judgement of 30 years ago when i must have made some sort of put it back the way it was kind of decision which is what i usually did. beerchug.gif
mepstein
The fixed passenger seat, sets on studs. I don’t see any special hardware on mine. There are no torsion forces acting on it. Double faced tape would probably be enough to hold it in place.
930cabman
My '75 has the plates
StarBear
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 30 2024, 07:52 PM) *

someone here is bound to have a pretty original car with that bolt stuff unmessed with for reference.

I’ll take a look and pics of mine when I can - still rather laid up and not too mobile. I recall hex bolts and the plates.
technicalninja
I'll look at my 75 as well.

Good chance the seats have never been removed.

Most of the stuff I've taken apart I can tell that I'm the first.

It's nice as all the hardware is in the right places.
Mikey914
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 30 2024, 05:34 PM) *

here is what i found.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

and one set of socket (phillips head) bolts still had its cadmium coating on the washers.

Click to view attachment

I have 2 theories on the mix match.
1- Came from factory with plates, later to loose one and a diligent tech or PO, looked up PET and replaced with what was noted.
2- The factory was running low on this part at some point and to stretch inventory, cut the number installed in half, because ............ say it with me..............It's not a "REAL" Porsche biggrin.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jan 30 2024, 07:43 PM) *

Are those plates available? In need of 1

Yes, kind of. I'll do a GB for a set that can be mailed out inexpensively domestically. I was in the process of trying to properly identify the part so it could get listed on the site.

Hopefully soon we may have something. I dug around in the PET as sometimes they get listed on pages you wouldn't expect, but I had no luck. But, soon I'll have these up.
-Mark
914e
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 31 2024, 10:24 AM) *

here is what i found.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

1- Came from factory with plates, later to loose one and a diligent tech or PO, looked up PET and replaced with what was noted.
2- The factory was running low on this part at some point and to stretch inventory, cut the number installed in half, because ............ say it with me..............It's not a "REAL" Porsche biggrin.gif

Maybe there was recall or service bulletin adding those plates.
johnlush
Timely post - I have a WTB looking for a couple. From memory, pretty much every 914 seat I've removed had these. I've also searched long and had and haven't found a part number reference. Look forward to your repops - what kind of timeline are you thinking?

John
wonkipop
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 31 2024, 11:24 AM) *

here is what i found.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

i'll go with theory 1 or 2. both plausible.
screw bolts in the lh chair match the screw bolts in the rain tray.
not quite everyday hardware in aus so don't think it was me that did it.
i think i just put back in what was there where it was.

safe to say from factory it would 99% have had the plates and hex bolts.
irrational to do anything else. identical seats. beerchug.gif

give them a 914rubber part no. and refer to as factory install for the two part #s in PET confused24.gif beerchug.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(johnlush @ Jan 31 2024, 10:58 AM) *

Timely post - I have a WTB looking for a couple. From memory, pretty much every 914 seat I've removed had these. I've also searched long and had and haven't found a part number reference. Look forward to your repops - what kind of timeline are you thinking?

John

Should be able to start selling these by end of the week. Was trying to elicit a correct part number to list, but may have to make one up??
johnlush
Following up. Are these available yet?

@Mikey914
Mikey914
QUOTE(johnlush @ Feb 20 2024, 11:58 AM) *

Following up. Are these available yet?

@Mikey914

Will be soon. Classifying and listing is harder without a part number or PET reference.
They got stuck.
Should have up shortly, and will do a group buy
windforfun
"73 1.7.

The socket bolts & plates are original stock for both sides of both seats. There are also star lock washers which I may have added. It's been many years since I disassembled my entire interior for cleaning. It was filthy when I got the car.

barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif

I'd post a pic, but you won't like how clean my car is.

Major OCD dude here.

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
StratPlayer
Any word on these?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
please make them gold cad color
76-914
I was thinking maybe these were for non EU cars until the "For Sale" post came up. FWIW I have them on the '76, '73 & the '70.
Mikey914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 4 2024, 01:32 PM) *

please make them gold cad color

They are, just need to get the correct picture up
L-Jet914
"someone here is bound to have a pretty original car with that bolt stuff unmessed with for reference." @wonkipop

Here is a photo of mine. 4/74 production build. 4 plates total, star washers underneath the bolts. I only removed my driver seat to clean and re-grease with MBZ Gleitpaste that I acquired a few years ago when replacing sunroof tracks and cables on a C-Class as the instructions stated the grease was required for the repair so I made the parts department order me the stuff. Great stuff by the way and I only used a small amount for the job so I have a 90% full tub of the stuff that I feel will last a lifetime. the tracks a few years ago. I believe the star washers to be original but I could be wrong. I also sifted through the PET and you are correct that they are not listed in the seat section. Driver side (US) first 2 photos. Passenger side (US) second 2 photos. All 4 plates and 8 bolts are gold cad plated from what I can see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.