Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help - Seat Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom1394racing
I am ready to test fit my new GTS Classic seats in my GT project. I have done this several times in a 911 but never in a 914 before. The 914 seat removal process was pretty straightforward. Simply slide the seat forward and release the pin spring to slide the seat all the way out.

I tried doing the same thing for installation but getting the seat rails lined up with the rails on the seat slider/tilt assembly seemed to be near impossible. I did make sure the seat/seat slider assembly went together and that the seat slid smoothly in the rails before trying the installation but working alone there was no way I would be able to line up the seat rails.

I am guessing that the best way to do this is to install the seat slider/tilt assembly on the seat rails slid part way so that the holes for installing the slider/tilt assembly are still accessible and then installing both in the car.

How should this work?

Click to view attachment
mb911
Correct on the seat first then into the chassis
mepstein
Be great to see what you picked out and how you like them.
87m491
Not sure I 100% follow your work flow, but having had my seats in and out a bunch recently for work, this is one where "installation is the reverse of removal" holds true IME. If you slid the seats right off the installed tracks, they go right back in the same way as long as you "relieve" the position spring like on the way out.

QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Feb 16 2024, 01:16 PM) *

I am ready to test fit my new GTS Classic seats in my GT project. I have done this several times in a 911 but never in a 914 before. The 914 seat removal process was pretty straightforward. Simply slide the seat forward and release the pin spring to slide the seat all the way out.

I tried doing the same thing for installation but getting the seat rails lined up with the rails on the seat slider/tilt assembly seemed to be near impossible. I did make sure the seat/seat slider assembly went together and that the seat slid smoothly in the rails before trying the installation but working alone there was no way I would be able to line up the seat rails.

I am guessing that the best way to do this is to install the seat slider/tilt assembly on the seat rails slid part way so that the holes for installing the slider/tilt assembly are still accessible and then installing both in the car.

How should this work?

Click to view attachment

NARP74
I had a heck of a time getting a set of aftermarket seats on one of my rails, happened to be the passenger side. I just could not make it work. They were installed when I bought the car but would not slide. I finally got it out but i could not get it back on. I took a spare stock seat and put it on, worked just fine. Long story short, I think the seat was torquing the rail if I installed it off the car. I did not want to reach under it at the car, so I pulled the rail and seat mount both out of the car and did it on the floor. I had to do some mods to stop the twisting. But really it was trial and error to get the right amount of pressure on everything and adjust as I got it all tight. Then some lube, forgot what I used and installed the whole thing back in the car. Took a long time to get there. I was taking measurements, comparing parts, bending, twisting all kinds of things. I broke the cast slide handle, bought a 2nd set of seat mounts. Really kicked my butt.
scallyk9
I had a similar experience and my final attempt worked by loosening the rear bolts so there was a little side-to-side play on the rails. I then slid the seat back with the rail at a low position, then slid the seat only slightly forward, just enough to tighten the rail bolts. Of course, my restored seat frame may have been slightly bent out of square. Not sure.
jim_hoyland
I fitted the rail assembly with the seats out of the car. IIRC, I may have enlarged a couple of the holes. The seat slide fine now
Montreal914
Just had a long conversation with Stefan at GTS as I am interested in getting a LeMans seat. He did mention that enlarging the holes in the rails may be needed to perfectly fit the seat. My take from this comment is that the tapped holes in his seat frames are good for the 914 but the tolerance might be just a little off.

Good luck and post the progress. Show the seat to! drooley.gif driving.gif
gereed75
Yes can be a serious PITA. If you think about it the tolerances have to be fairly close.

I have always used the technique of starting one rail just barely on, then getting the other. Yes it starts a bit cock eyed, but once both are just slightly engaged then you can straiten the alinement and work it on.

Good luck.
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 16 2024, 04:46 PM) *

Be great to see what you picked out and how you like them.

Mark

I bought the Spa Francorchamps seats from Stefan. They are a close repro of the original Scheel seats. You can see a photo in my build thread.
Tom1394racing
Thanks for all the input. As I thought about this overnight, it seemed like enlarging the holes on the seat rails slightly would help to get the rails lined up and to slide more easily. I’ll hopefully get a chance to give another go this weekend.
rgalla9146

Even original seats that have been in the same position for many years can be difficult
to move
With the seat and the mount out of the car and upside-down use the mount to adjust
the rails square and parallel.
Enlarge the holes, add shims and lubricate as necessary.
With the mount installed in the car I've found that kneeling next to the car and
cradling the seat with hands front-and-rear is the best approach.
Get the inside rail just started, then the outside.
Tom1394racing
This morning, I opened up the holes in the seat rails slightly and mounted the rails and the slider/tilt assembly to the seat and then installed the seat. Much easier.

I found the forward and aft sliding to be too stiff and the seat does not slide back far enough. I will have to take it back out and then apart to investigate.

I do love the seats!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Easy to see why you like thm.
They're beautiful.
Great choice.
NARP74
Lots of trial and error. I thought mine would be easy, I'll get this knocked out in an hour or two at the most. Messed with it for days. Just had to keep at it. Good luck.
Tom1394racing
I enlarged the holes on both seat rails then loosely attached them to the seat bottom. Then I installed the tilt/slider assembly onto the seat, so it moved freely and finally tightened the Allen screws on the rails. Reinstalled the seat and all works like it should.

Thanks for all your help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.