Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 heater blower ductwork
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Artfrombama
I have an early 1974 1.8 with the heater blower in the engine compartment, single outlet squirrel cage fan blows into the heat exchangers through a “backyard engineered” Y.
Can’t find any pictures on what is supposed to be on this car, can anyone shed some light on this system? I would like to return this to the functional factory system.
Thanks!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Artfrombama @ Feb 22 2024, 11:39 AM) *

I have an early 1974 1.8 with the heater blower in the engine compartment, single outlet squirrel cage fan blows into the heat exchangers through a “backyard engineered” Y.
Can’t find any pictures on what is supposed to be on this car, can anyone shed some light on this system? I would like to return this to the functional factory system.
Thanks!

i can take some pictures of mine later, you might get a few pictures if you google this and look at the first references on that search that show threads here in World.

there is a factory part that is a splitter/ Y for sending air to both sides.
I just hooked mine up its been cold here the past monht in the mornings, and makes a big difference! also search on Auto Atlanta you can see the exploded view of these parts on their site, its the factory diagrams.

Phil
bdstone914
QUOTE(Artfrombama @ Feb 22 2024, 10:39 AM) *

Thanks!

74 used a single port outlet and capped off oassenger side J tube. Can you show a picture of your splitter?
87m491
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 22 2024, 12:02 PM) *

Thanks!

74 used a single port outlet and capped off oassenger side J tube. Can you show a picture of your splitter?

Mine
IPB Image
Artfrombama

It's not pretty!
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
bdstone914

You have a stock fan and outlet. Run a hise to the drivers side J tube and cap off the passenger side.
And the clamp that holds the motor to the bracket is missing.
They made a plastic cap that was original. icon_bump.gif
dtmehall
this is from a 74 (not my car)

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
QUOTE(dtmehall @ Feb 22 2024, 07:28 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Not original. Homeaide setup.
Artfrombama
QUOTE(87m491 @ Feb 22 2024, 03:42 PM) *

Thanks!

Mine
IPB Image

Thanks guys, I had no idea what I had!
I see where Auto Atl. has the splitter, looks much better than what the P. O. had fashioned. I'll order the splitter and the hose from Dr. 914.
@87M491 I like the FP gauge!
jhynesrockmtn
I don't know if this pic will help. My 74 BB has a splitter. My buddy's 74 1.8 does as well.

Click to view attachment
friethmiller
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 22 2024, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE(dtmehall @ Feb 22 2024, 07:28 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Not original. Homeaide setup.

If this was my homemade solution, I'd at least flip the "Y" pipe around to get a bit more air to the driver side.
rhodyguy
OP. For now, go to the hardware store, buy 2 caps (to fit the J tubes) and 2 clamps in the plumbing dept. You’ll get plenty of heat if the HE’s, valves and the rest of the duct work is in place.
Artfrombama
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 23 2024, 09:54 AM) *

OP. For now, go to the hardware store, buy 2 caps (to fit the J tubes) and 2 clamps in the plumbing dept. You’ll get plenty of heat if the HE’s, valves and the rest of the duct work is in place.

I hadn't thought of that, thank you!
rhodyguy
Oh, not hard plastic caps. Rubber ones.
brant
QUOTE(87m491 @ Feb 22 2024, 02:42 PM) *

Thanks!

Mine
IPB Image

I've personally witnessed and help put out a carb fire from a fuel gauge mounted incorrectly. you really want a fuel gauge mounted onto the chassis. to reduce any vibration that naturally occurs as the motor rocks and moves on the motor mounts.

otherwise the brass fittings eventually crack and spray pressured fuel onto the hot exhaust.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
j pipe is missing
QUOTE(87m491 @ Feb 22 2024, 02:42 PM) *

Thanks!

Mine
IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.