Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Very cool wheel question - 914-6 flared fitment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roundtwo
Hey brain trust,

Anybody know about fitment for 914 six with flares for these wheels? They are just way to cool.

8, 9 by 16s. Group 4 wheels

Seller says zero offset for both wheels.

I have Brembo brakes with carrera rotors.

I’m not sure if these wheels would fit my car, and if the use of spacers would allow them to fit.

Have 7 and 8 x 15 fuchs.
Quite a bit of clearance on the rears. Using about a 1 inch spacer on the front to keep the front wheels clear of the brake calipers. Still have lots of space between the outside face of the tire in the inside space between the outside of the tire and the inside lip of the flareof the flare

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
You're right, cool wheels

This is the offset calculator I like https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/
Shivers
I hope they fit. Very cool
sixnotfour
@914dave
He has em..
Click to view attachment
BillJ
You cant risk it. Send them to me for fitment test. Will do a comprehensive 2 year test and let you know.

The calculator should help a lot but flare installation varies enough such that it may or may not work. The fact that Dave runs them is a great sign
rick 918-S
I would buy them anyway. drooley.gif
peteyd
I have a set of 7 and 8 x16 coming and I have flares on my car. I currently am running 7/8x16 fuchs with about a fingers width of room, so I'm sure the 9 would not fit my car.

If you had planned to add 9's in the rear when you installed the flares and made sure there was clearance they probably could work.

Pete
Superhawk996
Don’t forget about scrub radius effects that come with changing the wheel offset so radically.
mepstein
@914Dave
tygaboy
The Group 4 9", 0 offset are Turbo fitment. They won't fit under GT flares. I believe Dave milled some material off the face to get them to fit.
Fuchs 9" are 15 offset, my Ronal 9" are 13. They're tight on my car.

Everyone get's wrapped up about having 9" rears. I had my wheels off the other day and set my 225/55 (on 8") next to the 245/50 (on 9") next to each other. Not a lot of difference in width.
IMO, unless you really need the extra width, push the easy button and go 8" rears. OR run 9" Fuch, (or buy my Ronals!), or have custom wheels made. Check out Augment Wheel.

I'm leaning toward 7s and 8s for the Ferrari build. Easier fitment, less weight, etc. Plus, my car steers heavy with 8s on the front. But again, all this is just my opinion.

Bring your car over and you can put a 9" Ronal on it to see what clearance you have.
infraredcalvin
I have 16x9 fuchs on the rear of my flared 6, factory flares installed by the PO. On my 4, i installed fiberglass flares, both fit the 9” fuchs with a 25mm spacer, it’s a perfectly snug fit. The fuchs have a 15 mm offset, so that means at 0 offset, these wheels fit 15 mm closer to the inside (the trailing arm) than 9 in fuchs would with the same spacer. I’v never thought to measure how close the wheel/tire is to the trialing arm or inner fender well, all I know is that they don’t have any signs of rubbing with a 245/45 tire. Here’s a pic of my -6.

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 14 2024, 09:47 AM) *

… my car steers heavy with 8s on the front. But again, all this is just my opinion.

Not an opinion, it’s a fact of steering geometry and physics that car will steer heavier with a larger scrub radius.

@tygaboy smilie_pokal.gif good that you that you sense it, and know it was related to wheel swap.

Other issues that come with a large scrub radius:
Poor vehicle stability on split mu surfaces

Poor steering stability if braking forces aren’t exactly the same side to side (brake failure or pad mu variation)

Increased tire wear

Sensitivity to tire pressure variances side to side
BillJ
The only reason i have 9s as an option set on my car is sidewall stiffness. I use exactly the same tire on the 8s and 9s and while there is a little outer diameter sidewall extension with the sidewall on the 8s, the 9s are dead flat.
roundtwo
914world think tank speaks! agree.gif
A lot of solid reasons not to pursue these wheels. Too much downside, fitment performance, unknowns. It seems like the consideration and proper steps would need to occur way upstream during the preliminary build versus after the flares are in. Best suited for our 911 brothers.

If anyone’s interested, the wheels are on Facebook in Los Angeles. I can send you the info.

@tygaboy

I’ll reach out to you about your wheel garage sale! My sevens and eights might take a while with the refinisher and I don’t wanna miss another driving season aktion035.gif Click to view attachment
mepstein
I think Dave has put thousands of miles on his car with those wheels. They sure look awesome.

The time to check fit is before paint. It’s a huge hassle to dry fit parts to check clearance but really important if you are fitting a non standard set up.

Eric Shea had told me years ago that 7x8 was really optimal for a flared 914. I completely agree. I’m not in any way saying other sizes are wrong, they just require more care for fitment and understanding how they might change the driving experience.
tygaboy
agree.gif And this is after living with 8/9, as pictured. And no spacers, FYI.
No question the wider combo looks 'da bidness but, believe it or not, I'm (mostly!) over that and want what performs best.
And we can't end a thread in this forum with a pic of a 911! poke.gif
roundtwo
@tygaboy

Agreed, have to end the thread with a picture of a 914 body and soul!
poke.gif lol-2.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
@tygaboy

Are these the Ronal wheels you have?

IPB Image

If so, you need to put them on the 914 Ferrari.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(roundtwo @ Mar 13 2024, 11:46 PM) *

Hey brain trust,

Anybody know about fitment for 914 six with flares for these wheels? They are just way to cool.

8, 9 by 16s. Group 4 wheels

Seller says zero offset for both wheels.

I have Brembo brakes with carrera rotors.

I’m not sure if these wheels would fit my car, and if the use of spacers would allow them to fit.

Have 7 and 8 x 15 fuchs.
Quite a bit of clearance on the rears. Using about a 1 inch spacer on the front to keep the front wheels clear of the brake calipers. Still have lots of space between the outside face of the tire in the inside space between the outside of the tire and the inside lip of the flareof the flare

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 14 2024, 01:37 AM) *
QUOTE(peteyd @ Mar 14 2024, 08:32 AM) *

I have a set of 7 and 8 x16 coming and I have flares on my car. I currently am running 7/8x16 fuchs with about a fingers width of room, so I'm sure the 9 would not fit my car.

If you had planned to add 9's in the rear when you installed the flares and made sure there was clearance they probably could work.

Pete

to the OP , as seen above there are 7's available you might consider a staggered set of 7/8 - Dave's car is awesome, wheels too, and i dont think he would change but consider that he has a lot more HP. i do thinkg performace and handling they just are not necessary unless you are higher HP, i also agree with the commend about heaviness of steering, i would not want more than the 205/55-16 on the 6" i have in front now. i have same tires on 7" 16's on rear on narrow body car that has stretched fenders to help that fit, but when i had 15" 5.5's the car was more nimble , that is the word i would use, however i will not be changing from where i am now .
- if they made 6" wide rims i would consider it.

BillJ
Todd

What is your engine and specs as well as use? For example i need max grip out of corners while full throttle in race conditions. You may need just fun street driving.
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 14 2024, 08:48 AM) *

I think Dave has put thousands of miles on his car with those wheels. They sure look awesome.

The time to check fit is before paint. It’s a huge hassle to dry fit parts to check clearance but really important if you are fitting a non standard set up.

Eric Shea had told me years ago that 7x8 was really optimal for a flared 914. I completely agree. I’m not in any way saying other sizes are wrong, they just require more care for fitment and understanding how they might change the driving experience.

Curious.. Using 7x8, would the recommended tires be 205x55x16 front and 225x50x16 rear? When I bought my car back it had 8x9x17 on the car with 235 up front and 255 rear racing tires. I replaced the racing tires with street tires, but due to the rib rubbing on the street Michelin pilot sport tires, I downsized to 245 rear and 225 front. Yes, even with 225 up front it is hard to steer at slow speeds. Replacing the 350 steering wheel with a 360 steering wheel helped.
ClayPerrine
I run 225/50-16s on the front, and 245/45-16s on the rear. The wheels are 944 turbo wheels, and I have no rubbing issues at all.

mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 14 2024, 02:25 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 14 2024, 08:48 AM) *

Curious.. Using 7x8, would the recommended tires be 205x55x16 front and 225x50x16 rear? When I bought my car back it had 8x9x17 on the car with 235 up front and 255 rear racing tires. I replaced the racing tires with street tires, but due to the rib rubbing on the street Michelin pilot sport tires, I downsized to 245 rear and 225 front. Yes, even with 225 up front it is hard to steer at slow speeds. Replacing the 350 steering wheel with a 360 steering wheel helped.

I have a pair of 7&8x15 with 205x55 & 225x50. Tires are new but aged out. Bought for my project that never got done by the guy in Virginia.
When I started working at the Porsche shop, the owner told me he only likes the look of 15’s on Porsche’s. Didn’t like how 16’s look and had me sell every one we took in. So now I’m the same way. Only 15’s for my cars.
Also, any real Fuchs thats 9” wide is crazy expensive.
The 380mm vdm/914 wheel is my perfect steering wheel. I’m even mounting one on my 67.

All just my opinion. It would be boring if everyone did the same as me.
roundtwo
@billj
@Drphil915
@tygaboy

Yes, I’m convinced 7” and 8s are the way to go for me for many of the reasons noted. Was just kicking tires on these rims. Sounds as if these wheels are available new in various sizes which I didn’t know.

The engine builder estimates my engine output in the 225-250 range. 3 L, 930/02 block. 9.5 to 1 with modest cams. 48 PMOs.

I’m hunting for good 60s tires but they’re hard to find for 15 inch wheels . Radial TA is available in 205/60 and 225/60. Probably not the best performer but confused24.gif I like those sizes. Anything smaller than 60s look dopey small in the rear. Looked at Pirelli, Avon, etc…. 50’s a little too short side wall for my taste and the circumference is a little small. I’d like to bring down the RPMs at freeway speeds.
r_towle

What is the manufacturer of these wheels?
Where can I get them?
mepstein
I originally wanted the 55 & 50’s to keep the car low but the next set of tires I buy will be 60’s. I agree it’s a better look on these classic cars.

I still want at least one 914 that can duck under a tractor trailer. biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 14 2024, 09:26 PM) *

What is the manufacturer of these wheels?
Where can I get them?

https://www.group4wheels.com/store/
r_towle
Oh man…..17 inch ones that look like the ones in the pic above.

Hmmmmm
sixnotfour
https://www.facebook.com/erik.lind.92

Eric Lind
does alot of group 4 wheel orders
914dave
I had to modify the 9’s to fit. Removed .100” off the mating surface and trimmed the lip on the flare substantially. I have switched to 7/8 combo. Better turn in with less scrub radius.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.