Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73 2.0 Timing/Emissions Sticker?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gokart73
Anyone have a source for a correct repro of the silver foil/red font VW Timing/Emissions sticker in the upper left corner of the engine bay for a '73 2.0?

AA makes a silver/red sticker for '73 1.7, and also a white/red sticker for a '74 2.0, but not the silver/red version correct for '73 2.0.

Beyond that, I've been unable to find anything from the usual sources.

Thanks!
JeffBowlsby
If you have a decent image perhaps contact Carbone. They will create new artwork so your image does not need to be perfect. They have excellent service.

https://www.carbone.pl/
914_7T3
Contact @Jett

He just had a set made @Carbone
Jett
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Mar 18 2024, 04:28 PM) *

Contact @Jett

He just had a set made @Carbone

Yeah, not the best experience. No matter how clear the instructions the end product was not correct. Over the last two months I have been trying to get this fixed and although they say it’s fixed there is no communication. Worse I get a form response that they are on vacation, for over two months.

Not sure how this works, but seems like once you pay that there is little or no recourse to get something corrected. I’d pay again if we thought that would help.
Jett
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 17 2024, 07:47 PM) *

If you have a decent image perhaps contact Carbone. They will create new artwork so your image does not need to be perfect. They have excellent service.

https://www.carbone.pl/

We provided pictures, exact dimensions, material type, and font size… two decals were correct and two were not. The instructions were clear and repeated, yet stickers were printed backwards and instead of using foil paper it was just paper…
JeffBowlsby
The decals Carbone made for me were perfect, with excellent communication and fast shipping. Wonder why the inconsistency?
914Sixer
Check with AA, seems like I have seen them on the web site.
Jett
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 19 2024, 06:24 PM) *

The decals Carbone made for me were perfect, with excellent communication and fast shipping. Wonder why the inconsistency?

Not sure, contacted them yesterday and responded this morning that the corrections were sent. That said, they may just be busy but I have heard from others that my experience is not unique.

Will see if on Friday they arrive and are corrected.
Jett
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 20 2024, 04:16 AM) *

Check with AA, seems like I have seen them on the web site.

They only had the 73 1.7 decal that I could find.
Superhawk996
There are some days I think 914’s have turned into an alternate reality.

I used to shake my head over Corvette guys making sure bolts had the appropriate head markings.

Now 914s are sweating the font and color of labels. huh.gif

I say this jokingly because those that have posted here (not me) have beautiful cars that rightly should be kept as close to stock as possible. beerchug.gif

wonkipop
QUOTE(gokart73 @ Mar 17 2024, 09:16 PM) *

Anyone have a source for a correct repro of the silver foil/red font VW Timing/Emissions sticker in the upper left corner of the engine bay for a '73 2.0?

AA makes a silver/red sticker for '73 1.7, and also a white/red sticker for a '74 2.0, but not the silver/red version correct for '73 2.0.

Thanks!

you could try contacting these guys in Australia.

https://pistongraphics.com.au/

see if they could make you a custom one that is correct.
might have minimum run order quantity though.
Jett
Carbone sent another batch and this time the engine emission decal continues to be printed on paper (requested foil twice) and the font is now black.

We will try again .I think these are window stickers
r_towle
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 20 2024, 09:59 AM) *

I used to shake my head over Corvette guys making sure bolts had the appropriate head markings.

I say this jokingly because those that have posted here (not me) have beautiful cars that rightly should be kept as close to stock as possible. beerchug.gif

We have arrived at the vintage classic retirement home.
Please pull up a free chair, many of the 356 guys have departed us.
Keep the flame going.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 25 2024, 07:17 PM) *

Carbone sent another batch and this time the engine emission decal continues to be printed on paper (requested foil twice) and the font is now black.

Maybe those are only draft artwork for review? I know they have printed onto clear plastic, adhesive backed with the correct slits, per the originals.
wonkipop
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 25 2024, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 20 2024, 09:59 AM) *

We have arrived at the vintage classic retirement home.
Please pull up a free chair, many of the 356 guys have departed us.
Keep the flame going.

we have indeed.
i guess we are the generation for whom the cars were once new.
(even though i was a mere 12 or 13 year old the first time i saw a 914, probably the only one in australia when it too was new or newly arrived.) biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

.......remaking stickers is something that is inherently forlorn.
i don't say that meaning anything negative. just that its all about something that will no matter what disappear from the world.......eventually.

personally i don't think it matters whether the sticker is there or not.
and if an original sticker is there its nothing to boast about.
rather its just something to be enjoyed as having survived.
same really as an intact L jet fuel injection system. its a wonder half the stuff made it.

when it comes to my car i never set out to preserve it necessarily.
but due to fate its remained intact (and i must say not driven enough as a consequence).

but anyway i now feel obliged to preserve it.
but i hesitate sometimes at the idea of remaking.

i think its better to not have a sticker rather than have a sticker that has gone wrong as a recreation. there is no historical value in a reproduction when you think about it.

but then again the japanese rebuild their temples over and over again.
its never the same temple in their philosophy. but it is the same idea. that goes on forever.

which if you think about it totally legitimises the guys who rebuild a 914 from the ground up all over again but don't necessarily get hung up whether you can do it the same way it was done in 1970.

beerchug.gif

anyway good luck with trying to get a remade correct emissions sticker.
if you are going to do it, close enough is not good enough.
its got to be the same or why bother.
wonkipop
QUOTE(gokart73 @ Mar 17 2024, 09:16 PM) *

Thanks!

maybe try contacting this guy on thesamba website.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=2413799
Jett
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 25 2024, 10:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 25 2024, 07:17 PM) *

Maybe those are only draft artwork for review? I know they have printed onto clear plastic, adhesive backed with the correct slits, per the originals.

Agreed, I got both the corrected reverse window sticker and these.

When submitting the original order last year we were very specific, adding pictures, dimensions, color, font, and media type. The first round had two decals correct and two with the correct text but one was printed on paper instead of foil paper, and the other was printed with adhesive on wrong side. Second go, we just received the window decal now correct and no engine bay foil decals. Carbone said that they will try again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.