Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 conversion on BAT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_in_NH
I noticed a different engine mount arrangement on this conversion. It uses a steel square tube mounted using 911 motor mounts in the standard 914/4 receivers. No idea what the engine console mount looks like though.

It looks like a less involved conversion mount if there isn't much fabrication at the engine console.

Here's a link to the auction/photos:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-914-124/

brant
believe this is the quick six type of conversion part that was available in the 80's before bulkhead conversion mounts became the standard.

many of the quick six type cracked and had failure problems
don't believe any of the bulkhead style have this problem these days
mepstein
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 21 2024, 03:14 PM) *

believe this is the quick six type of conversion part that was available in the 80's before bulkhead conversion mounts became the standard.

Also didn't handle heat exchangers - iirc.
eric9144
I had that on my 1st conversion way back in the 90's, was an easy button but not ideal by any means and it creates a low point under the car--I remember scraping it on a high speed bump at one point. Go with a bulkhead type mount if at all possible, much better beerchug.gif
Thunderchief
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 21 2024, 12:14 PM) *

I have that type on one of my -6's. Where does it crack/fail?
Steve
QUOTE(Thunderchief @ Mar 21 2024, 03:30 PM) *

It depends on the manufacturer. MSDS used to sell them. I never had a problem with there bar. I used it over 20 years and only changed to the Rich Johnson center mount so I could run heat exchangers. PMS used to sell a curved one that scraped the ground and had other problems.
IMHO Pretty kludgy to put a heavy oil tank in the rear trunk. Just to save a couple hundred bucks on a retro tank?
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 21 2024, 07:40 PM) *

It depends on the manufacturer. MSDS used to sell them. I never had a problem with there bar. I used it over 20 years and only changed to the Rich Johnson center mount so I could run heat exchangers. PMS used to sell a curved one that scraped the ground and had other problems.
IMHO Pretty kludgy to put a heavy oil tank in the rear trunk. Just to save a couple hundred bucks on a retro tank?

“The Targa top is no longer stowable in the rear trunk due to the installation of an aluminum oil tank and spin-on oil filter adapter.”
sad.gif

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 21 2024, 04:40 PM) *

What's happening my friend @Steve ! ¿ The short story on my Qwik-6 conversion mount started in 1977 when I converted my '74 2L. I started out with the "Goodspeed" (bar) style mount, which failed in about 6 months and the 2.7 turbo six was saved by hanging on its AN#12 and #16 oil lines blink.gif
So I reinvented it with thicker, cold roll steel tube bar, .375" welded cradle, and gussets...still with the car today. The 5L Cayenne v8 in the 8gtt runs a bar style but it's 1.25" square /solid steel and 2) .375" welded cradles. Engine weighs just a bit more than a 930 engine, and
the bar does not hang much lower than the floorpan; no deflection either.
marty914.jpg
Karl R
I'm kinda in the market for one of these types of mounts. I don't weld and don't want to get hung up trailering to a welding shop and such. I'd like to use the easy solution while I sort out oil lines, fuel system, etc then drive it to a welder.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Karl R @ Mar 21 2024, 10:14 PM) *

I'm kinda in the market for one of these types of mounts. I don't weld and don't want to get hung up trailering to a welding shop and such. I'd like to use the easy solution while I sort out oil lines, fuel system, etc then drive it to a welder.

Do a search for a mobile welder that can come to you - as other has said it is worth doing the firewall mount.
live free & drive
There is a quick six bar for sale recently in the for sale area:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=369622

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.