Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PMS Throttle Cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NARP74
Does anyone have pics of this part installed on the car, above and below? I am missing most of the 911 style accel cable parts for my 3.2 and want to see if this means not having to buy them. Like the $100 coat hanger, etc.

https://patrickmotorsports.com/collections/...63033&_ss=r

930cabman
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Mar 21 2024, 02:48 PM) *

Does anyone have pics of this part installed on the car, above and below? I am missing most of the 911 style accel cable parts for my 3.2 and want to see if this means not having to buy them. Like the $100 coat hanger, etc.

https://patrickmotorsports.com/products/eng...31da9&_ss=r

I have installed this on my /6 conversion with twin Webers. The core portion of the cable was about 1 1/2" too long and the connection at the rear might need a bit of attention.

I can probably get some pics tomorrow

Either way it looks much easier than the coat hanger/bracket affair.
NARP74
I hope it is easier. I sent PMS a note and asked, they said I still needed all the 911 stuff. I asked for a pic and they said check the PET.
Better, I am checking with the real knowledge base!
Steve
Is it this one? https://patrickmotorsports.com/collections/...63033&_ss=r
It looks like it just eliminates the bell crank, but still uses the coat hanger. The other link didn't work.
NARP74
Yes. I fixed the original link.
mb911
@sirandy and A few of my customers use the long cable with no bell crank. If I were to do mine again I would use that cable for sure.
NARP74
@mb911 what parts do I need then? I seem to be getting differing info. Some say I need all the original parts, some say it bypasses them. Still need help.
mb911
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Mar 22 2024, 06:06 AM) *

@mb911 what parts do I need then? I seem to be getting differing info. Some say I need all the original parts, some say it bypasses them. Still need help.

It bypasses all of it. You need a threaded ball cup on the end to operate the bell crank on the intake manifold and a way to secure the cable sheathing
SirAndy
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 22 2024, 07:01 AM) *

@sirandy and A few of my customers use the long cable with no bell crank. If I were to do mine again I would use that cable for sure.

Correct, i routed the cable in a loop in the back so it comes up through the back opening in the engine tine where the rod from the bell-crank would normally go through. The cable attaches directly to the throttle body on my 3.6L

I don't think i have any good pictures of the setup, let me see what i can find.
idea.gif
SirAndy
Best i could find, the cable comes out of the firewall, goes under the engine and loops up through the opening in the engine tin and goes straight to the throttle body.

popcorn[1].gif

IPB Image
NARP74
A topside pic would be great if anyone has one.
SirAndy
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Mar 22 2024, 08:56 AM) *

A topside pic would be great if anyone has one.

All i got is this crappy pic

IPB Image
930cabman
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 21 2024, 05:59 PM) *

Is it this one? https://patrickmotorsports.com/collections/...63033&_ss=r
It looks like it just eliminates the bell crank, but still uses the coat hanger. The other link didn't work.

Coat hanger not required with this cable. I will try to get a topside pic later. I have this cable installed, but shortened the core portion by 1 1/2" to get everything correct
930cabman
Click to view attachment

and

Click to view attachment
NARP74
I am getting closer, thanks for the help.
PMS was being lazy or snarky or both.
The 1.5 inches too long is becoming a thing.
Great topside pic. I will need several threaded ball cups and the rod on top.
Now a good pic showing how the underside connection and adjustment are made.
930cabman
My experience with PMS has been they are OK and could use a bit of help with their customer service end of things.

Does the shot from below indicate what you are looking for?
NARP74
QUOTE(930cabman @ Mar 22 2024, 02:51 PM) *

My experience with PMS has been they are OK and could use a bit of help with their customer service end of things.

Does the shot from below indicate what you are looking for?

I can't exactly make out how and where the cable attaches under the tins. In the PMS pic, there is a CAD plated part that attaches somewhere and has a threaded adjustment barrel on it. Where does that go?
How did you account for the 1.5 inches too long?
I'll post some pics of what I have as well.

Thanks again
NARP74
This is what I am dealing with.
Click to view attachment
NARP74
So the PMS part, a bracket, bolts to the trans just before the cable goes through the tins? Is that where a cable slack adjustment would be done?

Is the PMS cable considered a stock cable, like a 914/6 or 911 cable? Or is it custom. I think it was Brant that mentioned the benefit of using stock parts that could be borrowed in a crunch.
930cabman
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Apr 17 2024, 08:08 AM) *

So the PMS part, a bracket, bolts to the trans just before the cable goes through the tins? Is that where a cable slack adjustment would be done?

Is the PMS cable considered a stock cable, like a 914/6 or 911 cable? Or is it custom. I think it was Brant that mentioned the benefit of using stock parts that could be borrowed in a crunch.

Correct, the bracket furnished with the PMS cable attached to the trans bolt and there is a small adjustment available there.

From what I can tell it's a custom product, after shortening the core about 1 1/2" it seems to be working fine. Time will tell
Steve
It looks close... You might have to make your own bracket. With my 3.2, I used a stock 914-6 throttle cable, Rich Johnson's bell crank and coat hanger as they call it. Everything bolted right up with no drama. I used this setup for over 20 years with no issues. The pedal was super smooth. I bought the special 3.6 PMS throttle cable for my current build, but I am keeping the previous setup just in case...
NARP74
The bell crank and coat hanger and other parts I would need are over $600, maybe more now. This was discussed in another thread. Then someone mentioned the PMS cable to eliminate the need for most of the parts below the tins. Going done that route now.
930cabman
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Apr 17 2024, 09:32 AM) *

The bell crank and coat hanger and other parts I would need are over $600, maybe more now. This was discussed in another thread. Then someone mentioned the PMS cable to eliminate the need for most of the parts below the tins. Going done that route now.

I have a couple of the parts necessary for the bell crank assembly, but when I happened on the PMS setup, it was the EZ button for sure and around $150. I still need to speak with them with regards to the core being about 1 1/2" too long.
NARP74
QUOTE(930cabman @ Apr 17 2024, 11:34 AM) *

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Apr 17 2024, 09:32 AM) *

I have a couple of the parts necessary for the bell crank assembly, but when I happened on the PMS setup, it was the EZ button for sure and around $150. I still need to speak with them with regards to the core being about 1 1/2" too long.

Interested to hear what they say about that. Good luck...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.