Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need some help identifying 2 wires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
captjm
I need some help identifying the purpose of the two wires located just forward of the driver near the brake reservoir. The color of two wires terminated together are brown/white and the single wire is brown. This 914 is a 1971 edition . Any ideas?

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
I’m thinking they may be to the brake switch on the MC.
captjm
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 23 2024, 08:08 PM) *

I’m thinking they may be to the brake switch on the MC.

The black protected covered wires behind the brake overflow tube caries wires down to the brake master cylinder so it still is a mystery. I think in 1970 the 914 had a fuel pump in the fuel tank area just below the mystery wires . Maybe they might have used the same harness and used them for a fuel pump?
SirAndy
The only brown/white i recall in the front trunk are for the horn(s).

No idea why that would terminate there though.
confused24.gif
Dlee6205
What's the story with the car? Is this a restoration? Has the harness been replaced? Has the harness been rewrapped?

The two wires to the MC brake switch are brown and brown/white but they're obviously not long enough.
ejm
The colors and location make me think they are for a brake reservoir cap with a low level sensor.

Touch them together and see if the brake light flashes.
Shivers
Here are mine. 1972. Connected to nothing. Must have been an option mine didn’t get.

Click to view attachment

@captjm
captjm
QUOTE(Dlee6205 @ Mar 24 2024, 04:37 AM) *

What's the story with the car? Is this a restoration? Has the harness been replaced? Has the harness been rewrapped?

The two wires to the MC brake switch are brown and brown/white but they're obviously not long enough.

I have owned the car since High School 1975. Took it apart for restoration in 1995 for restoration but life and family took priority and now its time to finish it. The harness was removed and rewrapped so probably they belong in the cab and would end around the fuse block. Mystery solved once I know for sure where they terminate. Thanks guys!
captjm
QUOTE(captjm @ Mar 24 2024, 07:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Dlee6205 @ Mar 24 2024, 04:37 AM) *

I have owned the car since High School 1975. Took it apart for restoration in 1995 for restoration but life and family took priority and now its time to finish it. The harness was removed and rewrapped so probably they belong in the cab and would end around the fuse block. Mystery solved once I know for sure where they terminate. Thanks guys!

Hold the phone, I just saw Shivers post....?
914Sixer
Only option that comes to mind would be a RARE gasoline heater
Shivers
I’ve had this car since 1982, and never messed with this area. I didn’t even know they were there until I looked.
davep
What is the width of the spade terminals? quarter inch or half that.
I was thinking the door switch
No way for a reservoir cap with a low level sensor or a gas heater!
Shivers
M4 90 = electric antenna. In my pic that is the antenna coax coming through the inner fender
Shivers
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 24 2024, 07:34 AM) *

What is the width of the spade terminals? quarter inch or half that.
I was thinking the door switch
No way for a reservoir cap with a low level sensor or a gas heater!

Both the same size, about 1/4”
FlacaProductions
I don't think i'm right but the only other thing that would have been optional in there - the wiper delay relay?
mate914
QUOTE(ejm @ Mar 24 2024, 09:44 AM) *

The colors and location make me think they are for a brake reservoir cap with a low level sensor.

Touch them together and see if the brake light flashes.

Ed,
Bingo, that sounds right...
Matt
Ishley
I think EJM is correct. At one point Porsche was experimenting with a low fluid indicator on the brake circuit. There was a cap the had leads which would set the brake light on the dash when the fluid was low. I remember seeing a post about this. My 72 has these wires in the same spot…not terminated.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/i...hp?t128210.html

SirAndy
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 24 2024, 07:50 AM) *

I don't think i'm right but the only other thing that would have been optional in there - the wiper delay relay?

The intermittent wiper relay wire is brown/black and if i remember correctly was not part of the harness on early cars.
idea.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 24 2024, 08:55 AM) *

Damn, now I want to do it. sad.gif I found one that mentioned a year that is close 1985. Could someone with a 85 911 go eyeball your brake fluid reservoir cap and see if they are the same? Or if someone knows if the 914 and the 911 in 85 share the same size cap. Thanks
rgalla9146
IIRC there was a black plastic relay that attached to the cowl support on later cars
('75-'76 ?)
Anyone else remember it ? the support had a hole in it and the relay had a metal clip
to attach through the hole.
But yours is a 1970-71 ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 24 2024, 12:23 PM) *

IIRC there was a black plastic relay that attached to the cowl support on later cars
('75-'76 ?)
Anyone else remember it ? the support had a hole in it and the relay had a metal clip
to attach through the hole.
But yours is a 1970-71 ?

That's the intermittent wiper relay, which was not available for early cars.
They don't have the needed wiring in the main harness.

And as mentioned already, the wires shown don't match the colors of the intermittent relay anyways, so no, that's not it.
popcorn[1].gif
JeffBowlsby
I could not find them on the schematic. You might get your ohmmeter out and find the other end. Not that many brown/white circuits on the car.

https://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/doc...4_MAIN_1971.pdf
Shivers
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 24 2024, 12:59 PM) *

I could not find them on the schematic. You might get your ohmmeter out and find the other end. Not that many brown/white circuits on the car.

https://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/doc...4_MAIN_1971.pdf

This is a piece of a 1972 914-6 schematic. Upper left hand side I put two arrows. Colors and number of wires is right. What is that?

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
There should be a number in a circle by that component. You look the number up on the key for the diagram.

A quick look at the four-cylinder wiring diagram shows the turn signal bucket connections there. Might or might not be the same on your six-cylinder diagram.

--DD
r_towle
I have a 71
I will go take a look tomorrow and see if I have those wires.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.