Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CA vs rest of US cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JohnB
I recently bought a '75 2.0 and it was originally a California car. It has all the smog stuff but I wondered if California cars had any additional anti-smog/pollution items added to them?

macpro
Wow! Great looking car. Looks like white interior...it it?

Sorry, I not sure of any other CA Smog requirements. But John, I'm certain that others in the 914Club will comeback with any info you need.

Greg idea.gif
tod914
Cat. Conv. and EGR. The other states I believe just had the air recirulation system and air pump on the 2.0s. Im not familiar with the 1.8s. Nice looking car btw.
SLITS
It should also have a Kevlar Vest, 45 in the glove box and Respirator installed biggrin.gif

Nope, you've got it all covered in the previous posts
JeffBowlsby
The only difference I know of John between the CA and 49 state cars was the catalytic converter. All else was the same. There should be a label on the rear drivers door jamb that indicates what you have i.e. cat/non-cat.

Superebamente color combo... biggrin.gif
JohnB
I'll look for the info on the door sticker, thanks Jeff. I know the 75's and 76's had lower HP than the 73/74's but is that due entirely to the air injection/EGR stuff? If so, would backdating that set-up to the system used on the 73/74 return the additional HP? I know it'll lower the engine temperature. Cats can be rodded out, I think, to improve exhaust flow but that may have other negative implications.

Yeah, this has the white interior and it makes a big difference in cabin comfort here in Virginia in the summer months. I agree this is a great color combo and the first like it I'd ever seen. I never heard of the white interior but Johnson's restorer's guide says it was a 75/76 option.

Evidently this car won a San Diego Concours in 1996 but I'm not a CCW so that just tells me it's been well maintained. It was "restored" meaning it got a new paint job but it's the original color. Runs/drives great, ~74k miles.
dmenche914
Having a catalyst means the car also had the catalyst unique heat exchangers. These exchangers are rare, no repro's made, and are required for calif cars to pass smog tests (1976 car require tests every 2 years).

If you do not need to smog the car, replace the special exchnagers with early units or the SS aftermarket ones, and sell the rare ones to some calif 914 owner that is required to have them. the early exchangers flow better, and the SS ones flow better still, and wiegh less.

I believe compression ratios dropped on the last two years of the car, for smog reasons. I believe it was done by changes in the cylinder top, flat verses dished. But that might have been a USA vs. europe thing rather than a calif. vs 49 state thing.

need more research on this.

PS the fuel injectors on the 2 liter also changed in 75, differerent part number, but still green in color, there were different brains, and pressure sensors used also.

good luck
Joe Bob
The 1.8s and the 2.0s shared the same heat exchangers....2.0s had an air pump with injectors, while CA cars also had a cat....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.