Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Deusexmachina77
As I was trying to figure out why my turn signal wasn’t working I inadvertently caused one of the two brake light wires to come detached.

Does anyone have a suggestion or retro fix to reattach the wire? I was thinking of solving it on top of the lead.

Thanks
Victor

P.S. I fixed the turn signal. The connection inside had come undone.
76-914
Are you saying that the crimp terminal separated from the wire? If so, you can strip the plastic sheathing away and solder the wire to the small crimp connector. Just be sure to use some heat shrink to cover the bare spot on the terminal/solder joint. beerchug.gif
Deusexmachina77
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 29 2024, 02:18 PM) *

Are you saying that the crimp terminal separated from the wire? If so, you can strip the plastic sheathing away and solder the wire to the small crimp connector. Just be sure to use some heat shrink to cover the bare spot on the terminal/solder joint. beerchug.gif

Yes, but it didn’t slip out it broke off. I can’t really figure out how to pry the lead open again. It so damn small. I guess I need one of those glasses screwdrivers to pry it open. The plastic is so brittle I’m worried I’m going to break something.
Shivers
QUOTE(Deusexmachina77 @ Mar 29 2024, 03:03 PM) *

Yes, but it didn’t slip out it broke off. I can’t really figure out how to pry the lead open again. It so damn small. I guess I need one of those glasses screwdrivers to pry it open. The plastic is so brittle I’m worried I’m going to break something.

Is it a spade connector? Pic please
Steve
QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 29 2024, 03:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Deusexmachina77 @ Mar 29 2024, 03:03 PM) *

Is it a spade connector? Pic please

agree.gif
If its the rear tail light housing, you should be able to remove it and solder on another terminal or worse case a wire and attach a male spade to that.
Chris914n6
If you are talking about what we think you are, it's just a common spade connector with heat shrink over it. Crimp don't solder.
Deusexmachina77
QUOTE(Deusexmachina77 @ Mar 29 2024, 04:03 PM) *

This connector is very small. I can hardly photograph it. I know this looks and sounds obvious, but these are the kind of small fixes that tend to escalate because I usually make the less than obvious solution. I’d like to try and pry open the connector but it’s so small I’m worried I’m going to just snap it off.
raynekat
I'd just try to solder that wire back right on top of the spade it broke out of.
Should be a simple quick fix with a soldering iron.
Put a small piece of "shrink sleeve" on the wire before you solder it back.
Then use a heat gun on the sleeve and you'll have a fairly professional fix that should last.
Deusexmachina77
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 29 2024, 11:14 PM) *

I'd just try to solder that wire back right on top of the spade it broke out of.
Then use a heat gun on the sleeve and you'll have a fairly professional fix that should last.

agree.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Deusexmachina77 @ Mar 30 2024, 08:40 AM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 29 2024, 11:14 PM) *

agree.gif

Isn't that what I just said in post #2? confused24.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 30 2024, 10:50 AM) *

Yes, it definitely is. You had a great idea!
Deusexmachina77
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 30 2024, 10:43 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 30 2024, 10:50 AM) *

Yes, it definitely is. You had a great idea!

I ended up laying the wire on top of the terminal and using one of those heat shrink tubes with the solder inside. The solder wrapped around the wire and terminal. It works. We’ll see how long it lasts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.