Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Cable Too Long?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gnomefabtech
Just got my car running and in order to get it to shift into gear I needed to tighten the clutch cable all the way to the end of the threads at the clutch arm. This doesn't seem right although it's a Kennedy Eng. pressure plate so I don't know what it should adjust like.

Are there more than one cable length? Is there an adjustment at the pedal I don't know about? I added some spacers under the adjusting nuts just for now. Should there be any free play in the pedal? Right now there doesn't feel like there is any and the car barely goes into reverse.

Thanks
Spoke
I believe there is only one length of clutch cable. It is a new cable, correct?

Adding spacers (washers) should be ok.

No adjustment at the peddle.
914Sixer
Yes, there is only supposed ti be ONE length. However I did a thread awhile back ad found the length varied by manufacturer.
VaccaRabite
1 - is the cable routed correctly?

2 - are the clutch cable tube holder welds still in place inside the tunnel?

3 - do you still have the old cable? Can you measure the old cable against the new one?

Zach
technicalninja
I found this in an old thread that was complaining of "cable too long"

It's supposed to help this issue.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/REN....ASABEgKVYPD_BwE
mate914
QUOTE(gnomefabtech @ Mar 31 2024, 12:47 AM) *

Just got my car running and in order to get it to shift into gear I needed to tighten the clutch cable all the way to the end of the threads at the clutch arm. This doesn't seem right although it's a Kennedy Eng. pressure plate so I don't know what it should adjust like.

Are there more than one cable length? Is there an adjustment at the pedal I don't know about? I added some spacers under the adjusting nuts just for now. Should there be any free play in the pedal? Right now there doesn't feel like there is any and the car barely goes into reverse.

Thanks

I have am having the same problem. I however have all new parts, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and cable. I am adding one more washer under ball mount on tranny.

Adding spacers has always worked. One large nut up against the clutch fork should help with the cable tension.
Matt
jhynesrockmtn
Spacer on my 74 with a new clutch and cable. Super slimey in the pics. Engine/trans coming out to figure out where all of the fluids that should not be exiting the trans, are exiting the trans.

Click to view attachment
914Toy
Long shot possibility, your pressure plate may not be cinched up to the flywheel. I recently replaced a Kennedy (or?) with a stock 914 6 clutch assembly - new flywheel and pressure plate, but they require shorter bolts than the old assembly I was replacing. This resulted in my new pressure plate being about 3/16" away from the flywheel mad.gif After replacing with stock length pressure plate bolts, reassembly works perfectly with new stock clutch cable.
gnomefabtech
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'll add spacers. I'm pretty sure the pressure plate is snug but I'll check that. I don't think the cable tube is rusted out but that's worth checking too.

It does feel like the throwout bearing is in constant contact with the pressure plate and there is no freeplay. Is that normal?
r_towle
There were (are) two cables out there in the world.
One is too long.
ClayPerrine
This info came to me from the late Wes Hildreth. Wes worked at the dealer when the 914 was new. He actually showed me the parts referenced here. I found the pictures online.

The original clutch trunion on a 914 was this:

Click to view attachment

It was made of nylon, and had a tendency to tear the ears off due to stress. The extra length is there to make the cable adjustment easier.

Porsche superseded it with this:

Click to view attachment

This is what everybody sells for a 914. If you noticed, it doesn't fit the end of the clutch arm correctly, and it doesn't have the extension like the factory one does. The cable manufacturers still build cables based on the original specifications, so we end up with a cable that is too long without a spacer.

A better solution is this:

Click to view attachment

This is an aluminum clutch trunion for a 70-71 911. It fits the clutch arm correctly,and doesn't require a spacer that could be lost. The only drawback is it is about 15mm too long. So I buy them and cut them shorter. I would suggest that if you use this, you measure yourself before you cut it down.

Hope that helps.

Clay
FlacaProductions
Sounds like a job for 914Rubber....
Steve
The Gemo is a different length than the Tarret cable. The Tarret also wouldn’t slide over the tube at the firewall. Gemo worked fine.
Gemo has the white plastic sheath.
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
I have never used a Tarrett cable. But I have used factory Porsche cables and Gemo cables. The Gemo cable is exactly the same length as the factory Porsche cable. It may even be the same cable in a different package.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
all one length, probably the clutch tube has come loose in the tunnel, resulting in too much cable because the tube is moving

QUOTE(gnomefabtech @ Mar 30 2024, 09:47 PM) *

Thanks

gnomefabtech
I think the cable housing is collapsing. I'm ordering a new one and I'll see if that solves it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.