Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much oil in dry sump tank stock 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
morehills
I'm changing oil in stock '71 stock 914-6 set up for the first time after a day at the track yesterday. Rather than disconnect lines under the engine, I'm drawing out oil from the dry sump tank with a suction pump. Does anyone know the capacity of these tanks at proper fill? Just need an estimate for what to extract. Thanks, John
mb911
QUOTE(morehills @ Apr 7 2024, 06:33 AM) *

I'm changing oil in stock '71 stock 914-6 set up for the first time after a day at the track yesterday. Rather than disconnect lines under the engine, I'm drawing out oil from the dry sump tank with a suction pump. Does anyone know the capacity of these tanks at proper fill? Just need an estimate for what to extract. Thanks, John

Factory setup is 9 QTs
morehills
Thanks. I was asking about capacity of the oil tank mounted in the fender.
Superhawk996
Didn’t like the answer ? confused24.gif
technicalninja
You're going to have to figure that out by yourself.

Get oil level perfect and then go to town with your sucker.

My first question is why?

Are you only going to change the oil in the tank?
mlindner
Extract all you can get, maybe 8 8 1/2 quarts. you will have oil in the filter and some in the engine case if your not going to drain that. Like mb911 said 9 quarts. Then top up as needed, warn running engine on dip stick.
brant
You need to drain the engine case also
Any motor that’s broke in will allow oil past the pump and into the case as it sits overnight
morehills
Thanks. Perhaps my question wasn't clear or I double posted. I've drained the case. Now I'm draining the tank from the top with a suction oil remover rather than disconnecting the oil lines under the car. Simply wanted to know the capacity of the stock oil tank so I'll have an idea when it's complete. If anyone knows it please let me know.
rick 918-S
How are you getting the suction tube past the screen?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 7 2024, 02:25 PM) *

How are you getting the suction tube past the screen?

agree.gif Rick... Beat me to it.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(morehills @ Apr 7 2024, 02:11 PM) *

Thanks. Perhaps my question wasn't clear or I double posted. I've drained the case. Now I'm draining the tank from the top with a suction oil remover rather than disconnecting the oil lines under the car. Simply wanted to know the capacity of the stock oil tank so I'll have an idea when it's complete. If anyone knows it please let me know.

Dude - get real. You have been given the answer multiple times by multiple people - all running a six.

I’m not trying to be rude but it’s rude to keep asking, especially when the answer is readily available to be verified by google if you don’t want to believe the guys running a six, and the guy that makes tanks.
mskala
I'm pretty sure the OP is interested in how much oil stays in the tank vs. stays in the 'pan'. This is a perfectly normal question. Unfortunately, there's no solid answer, as it has been said, some will drain out of the tank depending on oil itself and how long car has been sitting. Also, most of these cars leak and burn oil, so me, personally, I never know how much is in the car anyway. Disconnecting the lines is not a big deal.
gereed75
So just to reiterate really hard to know. Started out 9 qts. Some stays in filter, lines and the case and some burned . So how much is in tank is a guess

And regardless, don’t think you can get a siphon tube into the bottom anyway. There is a screen and separator baffles

Many people put some sort of drain in the connector between the tank line and the cooler line. Without a drain, cracking the fittings is the way.
mb911

Gosh this is not that hard. 9qts empty system. Drain tank and sump and it should equal 9 QTs. Refresh with 9 QTs in the tank and run the engine to circulate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.