Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stainless GT bumper in progress
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
Started with a brand new bumper. I will share progress pictures as I finish it out.Click to view attachment
Freezin 914
Lookin good!
Chris914n6
You see bumpers all the time... how's the fit and finish on the Stainless?
raynekat
Saw that on FB for..... you know who.
mb911
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 9 2024, 08:28 PM) *

You see bumpers all the time... how's the fit and finish on the Stainless?

Looks to fit in my fixture pretty good. Polishing is pretty good.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(raynekat @ Apr 10 2024, 12:55 AM) *

?
davep
I don't do Facebook either, and also do not know source of stainless bumpers. We need more information for context.
JeffBowlsby
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=361087

https://groupharrington.com/brand/porsche/

Also available through AutoAtlanta.
mb911
This bumper came from auto Atlanta for one of their customers. It was sent to me for the conversion. Dropping off at the polisher today..left the welds very proud for him to take down. The polisher gets very particular Click to view attachment
Shivers
Nice work.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
WHO?

QUOTE(raynekat @ Apr 9 2024, 09:55 PM) *

dr914@autoatlanta.com
One of your friends provides those bumpers, Dave!

QUOTE(davep @ Apr 11 2024, 04:41 AM) *

I don't do Facebook either, and also do not know source of stainless bumpers. We need more information for context.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
One can always depend on Ben McFarland to do perfect work, do it on time, keep in constant communication with his customers, and deeply convey honesty, conviction, friendliness, and honor.

I personally cannot say enough about Ben.
gandalf_025
Group Harrington is the manufacturer of the Stainless Bumpers.
They make bumpers for many different classic cars.

They have a presence on e-Bay and they sell to suppliers or you can by direct.
Their factory is in Vietnam but their offices are in the U.K.

Excellent people to do business with.
I bought my bumpers direct from them and they arrived at my door via DHL..
and even FedEx has trouble finding my house.

I just looked on their web site and they list the pair bumpers for 1861.19 and that includes shipping..
jim_hoyland
Great looking bumper ! smile.gif what do you use to cut the SS ?
mb911
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 11 2024, 08:55 AM) *

Great looking bumper ! smile.gif what do you use to cut the SS ?

Cut off wheel on a grinder and do it very carefully.
Cairo94507
I remember considering the SS front & rear bumpers about 12 years ago and thought, "that's expensive"... today that seems like a deal for 2 beautiful bumpers including shipping. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 12 2024, 06:50 AM) *

I remember considering the SS front & rear bumpers about 12 years ago and thought, "that's expensive"... today that seems like a deal for 2 beautiful bumpers including shipping. beerchug.gif

Agreed
rick 918-S
Nice work Ben! sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
mb911
And just back from the polisher. Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
Yowzer that's nice
rick 918-S
Very Nice. No Plating needed! That may be the way to go.
burton73
That is very nice and with the cost of platting today I think this is the way to go when building your M-471 clones.

Best Bob B
gandalf_025
I just checked Harrington's web site and the price for a pair of bumpers today
is 1851.21 which includes shipping.. They might make a deal and sell 2 fronts as a pair, instead of a front and back pair, can't hurt to ask...

mb911
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Apr 24 2024, 03:19 PM) *

I just checked Harrington's web site and the price for a pair of bumpers today
is 1851.21 which includes shipping.. They might make a deal and sell 2 fronts as a pair, instead of a front and back pair, can't hurt to ask...

That would be awesome
jd74914
Looks great!!

Does it get passivated before polishing?
mb911
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 26 2024, 03:38 AM) *

Looks great!!

Does it get passivated before polishing?

I weld it proud and drop off at the polisher and they do everything after that. They do food grade work so not sure what they do but turns out amazing
jd74914
Never thought of a polisher in that market, but it makes sense. Sanitary grade work is huge. I’m sure they do passivate then.

Again, looks absolutely awesome! This seems like a big upgrade over chrome if you don’t need the ultimate shine.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have another BIG order of stainless coming from OUR tooling, but in august if anyone wants to get on the list call Sean Traywick and order, have 100 sets coming and 42 committed, so should have plenty for everyone when they arrive
seanery
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 24 2024, 05:01 PM) *

Very Nice. No Plating needed! That may be the way to go.

Its totally the way to go drooley.gif Right!!?!!
live free & drive
I bought a set of the stainless bumpers and they have a thick black paint on the back - does this need to need to be removed before GT cooler modification, passivation polishing?
914werke
Ah I had to re-read this ...
STARTING with a polished SS bumper, got it.
So if doing such a conversion with a OE bumper after modding it still needs to be
massaged then chromed.
Ben, thats not something you are handling? Up to the customer.. correct?
seanery
QUOTE(live free & drive @ Apr 26 2024, 03:06 PM) *

I bought a set of the stainless bumpers and they have a thick black paint on the back - does this need to need to be removed before GT cooler modification, passivation polishing?

You can still see the black paint on Ben's finished pictures. Look through the fog light holes, both left and right.
mb911
QUOTE(live free & drive @ Apr 26 2024, 11:06 AM) *

Nope just in the weld area
mb911
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 26 2024, 11:26 AM) *

Ah I had to re-read this ...
STARTING with a polished SS bumper, got it.
So if doing such a conversion with a OE bumper after modding it still needs to be
massaged then chromed.
Ben, thats not something you are handling? Up to the customer.. correct?

So I have a core bumper sent to me I do the mod and send it back and they deal with chrome.

SS bumpers come polished and I do the mod and then have a polisher finish it out
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.