Full Version: WOT - Home Theatre Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
soloracer
I just bought the following:

1 Pair Martin Logan ReQuest Speakers
1 Pair Martin Logan Quest Z Speakers
1 Martin Logan Logos Center Channel
1 Denon AVR-5800

I was planning on buying another pair of Martin Logans and a sub to finish things off. My question is regarding the amplifier and whether it's a good "economic" choice. I realize separates are probably better but usually are way more expensive. I've heard that the Martin Logans are brutal on amps and was wondering if the amplifier is suited for the job. The other thing was regarding all the different surround choices that are out there today. Is there a "must have" in terms of home theatre modes or digital TV modes (HDMI? THX ES?) I used to be into the home stereo scene but haven't been for 10 years and things have really changed.

MJHanna
Well I would try it. The Martins you have are not a full electrostatic so they might not be as bad. If you’re mainly running the system for the surround I think it will work great. If you’re listening to music……. There are better combinations that will sound better.
mike_the_man
Dunno too much about that particular Denon, but I've always heard good things about Denon. You can always get better, just depends on how much you want to spend. Hook it up and have a listen. If you like the sound, then it's good.

Sounds like you're going to have a pretty nice system. What type of display are you using?

I'm slowly building my basement into a home theatre. I think this hobby may be even more expensive than cars. wacko.gif

soloracer
For a display I have a BenQ PB6100 projector projecting on a Daylite screen (80"). Works good in the basement but would definately wash out somewhere that had ambiant light coming in. I have had the projector for a couple of years and have been happy with it. There are probably some out now that are better and cheaper but for now I'm going to concentrate on the sound system. My old system is about 15 years old (Pioneer) and was one of the first surround sound systems made (5 Channel Dolby Pro-Logic). I think I paid $6000 Canadian for it back then and I figure it's more than done it's job for me. It's just time to step up to some newer, higher end gear.

I was considering going with Bryston or Krell for amplification but I couldn't resist the $1400 price tag that I got the Denon unit for. I figure to do the same thing with the separates I would be looking around $5000 (Processor, Pre-Amp, Amp). The Denon unit also does Dolby 7.1 which I believe requires 6 speakers and the sub in which case I will look at getting one more pair of Martin Logans (probably a pair of Scripts). The thought is I would put the ReQuests in front, Logos in the center, Quest Z's in the back and the Scripts at the back/center. For a sub I was looking at either a Descent or Grotto.

Where I need help is understanding all the new formats. Seems like there are several types of DVD format coming out that may or may not be compatible with the amplifier. There are also a bunch of different surround sound modes - much more than I am used to anyway. Can anyone tell me what is important to know and what is chaff?
richardL
There are two new DVD formats - HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. As far as I recall, the Blu-Ray (which is primarily a Sony format) holds more on a disk, but disks are more expensive to produce. They seem to be 'leading' at the moment - most HD-DVD content providers were promising releases for this Christmas, but they have ALL delayed. Blu-Ray has some big hitters on board.

But who knows... I always preferred Betamax ( sad.gif )

Best thing is to wait until a real leader emerges - probably by Christmas 2006.

Also, if you buy a display. make sure it has HDCP input. All digital (good), but supporting Digital Rights Management (DRM) (bad) which you *might* need for some content (otherwise they will force a downconvert to analog 'just in case' you are a pirate). Its the wave of the future. Also 1080p displays are now coming - we just need some 1080p content!

HTH,
Richard
campbellcj
I have an AVR-5600 (a predecessor to yours) and it has been very good to me. It is running almost constantly every day and has been trouble free since new (1996 or was it 1998?)! Built like a tank; no DTS decoding though, which was added just after that timeframe.
snflupigus
see the new technology review magazine? holographic dvds.... multiple layers on clear vs 1 layer as we all have now.... = 9 dvd's on one disk smile.gif

just wait... smile.gif

Almost anything can be made sound good for surround sound and movies. almost.
redshift
You need a DLP, and a 110" screen..

smile.gif

M
Richard Casto
I used to have a pair of Martin Logan Aerius. Even with them being a hybrid speaker (not full electrostatic) they can be hard to drive if you have a really cheap Amp. I recently downsized my HT setup and moved from seperates to a receiver that used digital amp technology that are very populate these days. I wanted the digital amp due to it's small size, low heat output and what is considered to be actually good sound for the price. It was unable to drive the Aerius. It would shut down and go into protect mode. I eventually had to sell the Martin Logan and put in place some regular dynamic Paradigm speakers.

So in short, I would try the Denon first and see what you think before swapping out amps. I suspect it will work fine. Prior to moving to the inexpensive receiver I was using an Adcom 5503 which worked great. Before moving to the 200W 5503, the Martin Logan worked pretty well with a 60W Adcom 535!
snflupigus
http://www.ambrosia.com/

The owner is a Porsche man... see if he'll tell you what the skinny is. He is a pro. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.