Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tie rod refresh
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chaznaster
Hi All. This winter, I pulled the entire front end on my car and am almost done putting it back together. Refreshed the rubber parts and eye bolts on the tie rods. I also pulled the steering rack to refresh the coupling and bearing under the gas tank.

I took care to insert the new eye bolts on the rack back to where they were and even double checked the distance between the eye bolts and clocked them per the manual.

Now everything is back together but when I turn either side to the stop, the bolt head on the yoke hits the locking end plate on the rack.

I thought perhaps to flip the yoke so the bolt head would not get in the way but cannot figure out how to get it in from the other side.

Am I missing something??

Thanks.
r_towle
First glance I suspect you may have not added the spacer for the turbo tie-rods

https://sierramadrecollection.com/products/...AyABEgKh5fD_BwE
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 15 2024, 10:12 PM) *

First glance I suspect you may have not added the spacer for the turbo tie-rods

https://sierramadrecollection.com/products/...AyABEgKh5fD_BwE

agree.gif Sometimes they are sold separately from the kit. Definitely needed on a 914.
914Sixer
Eye bolts have to be aligned on rack jig. There is no room for error. That is why everyone goes to turbo tie rods. No worries, just screw them in. Finding a steering jig is hard to find these days,
Chaznaster
Thanks. This is for the stock setup, not turbo tie rods. I did clock the eye bolts with a homemade jig and felt pretty good about it. 9* if I recall correctly, measured with a digital level on a rod through the eye bolt with the rack on the bench in a vise. Is this the binding issue that I have read about?

EDIT: Maybe just easiest to go with the turbo tie rods and take a loss on the refresh parts for the stock setup ...
Chaznaster
I am exploring the turbo tie rod avenue. There are lots of manufacturers with a huge range of prices. Dansk, URO, Lemforder, etc. Can someone recommend a good choice for an around town driver? Thanks.
mepstein
Turbo tie rods are nice but there’s no reason why stock tie rods shouldn’t fit your car.
Chaznaster
Hi. I am back again on this topic with a new direction. To note for starters, I am trying to stay with the standard setup.

On which side does the bolt come from on the stock inner tie rod? I put mine in from the rear. All the photos I look at has them going in from the front.

If they are supposed to come in from the front, that would solve my bolt head hitting the rack problem. The only trouble is that I cannot get the bolt in that way. No matter where I move the rack there is not enough space to get the bolt started, even if I put it through the yoke before fitting it up.

Is there a trick that I am missing here??

To consider ... Could I have the wrong bolt? Mine is 55cm and is definitely newer than the car, as the zinc finish it still mostly intact.

I appreciate your insights ... Thanks.

mepstein
Check pet for bolt lengths.
Some hardware on the car will look almost new, even after 50 years.
Chaznaster
Thanks. I did look at PET but there is no length. I'd attach the PET page but I cannot seem to upload pics at the moment.

Also looked up the part number at the usual vendors and none that I found listed a length.

Does anyone possibly have one around to measure?
mepstein
This version of the PET has bolt lengths and thread pitch, at least for most of them.

https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/pet/porsche/914/570u/4/
Mikey914
Bolts are here, with new washers
https://914rubber.com/914-steering-coupler-hw-kit
Buy the bolts / washers and pay the shipping both ways I can put this onto the jig to assure they ( the eye bolts) are clocked properly.
-Mark
Chaznaster
Sorry I was not more clear. I am talking about the inner tie rod bolt that attaches the y-shaped end to the rack eyebolt. In both PETs it is simply called Hexagonal Head Bolt.

Edit: it let me attach a pic. My setup above. PET below with the bolt in question being #18.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
r_towle
Not sure, but is it possible the large washer is on backwards,

I can go look if someone else does not already have pictures
rjames
Does the bolt still hit the plate if the bolt head is on the other side?
What brand of tie rods did you buy? My stock ones that I just removed look like they have more room between the plate and the bolt. Plus I just noticed mine are angled and yours are not. Looks like you need a spacer (washer) in there.
Click to view attachment
Chaznaster
QUOTE(rjames @ May 2 2024, 09:22 PM) *

Does the bolt still hit the plate if the bolt head is on the other side?
What brand of tie rods did you buy? My stock ones that I just removed look like they have more room between the plate and the bolt. Plus I just noticed mine are angled and yours are not. Looks like you need a spacer (washer) in there.
Click to view attachment

This is showing exactly what I thought. Your hex bolt head is on the opposite side of the eye bolt than mine, so it does not hit. I'd make that change but I cannot get the hex bolt in as you have it because there is not enough clearance.

And my eye bolt is angled, too. It's just hard to see from the angle where I took the picture.

Edit: the parts are all stock in my case.
rjames
Looks like you need to back the eye bolt out of the rack so you have room to remove the bolt and install it from the other side.
Chaznaster
QUOTE(rjames @ May 3 2024, 10:47 PM) *

Looks like you need to back the bolt out of the rack so you have room to remove the bolt and install it from the other side.

I think that is the only way at this point ... Just will need to make sure I get the eyebolt clocked back to where it was to avoid binding issues.

Thanks to all for the help with this!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.