Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best replacement turn signal switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chaznaster
Hi All. I am looking to replace the turn signal switch in my 74 1.8. PET looks like it is part number 914 613 913 14 but the same is listed for the wiper switch, as well. I searched around this site and there are a lot of recommendations, but most are from quite a while ago. Can anyone recommend a current reliable source for this part? Thank you.
914Sixer
I have a NOS SWF replacement. Not cheap but the real deal.
JamesM
Best one I have found came from my local air cooled VW shop in a unlabeled white box.

Ordered a few online before that and all 3 of them both had poor fit and failed in short order, if I recall the Mahle were especially bad.
914Sixer
Think you mean Meyle.
JamesM
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 28 2024, 03:29 AM) *

Think you mean Meyle.

yup
Chaznaster
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 27 2024, 10:38 PM) *

I have a NOS SWF replacement. Not cheap but the real deal.

Looks nice. I'd like to find an aftermarket one ... considering the price of most NOS parts. And my car is bit of a rescue.
windforfun
BTW, don't tighten the mounting screws. Let the thing sort of float.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
Chaznaster
QUOTE(windforfun @ May 29 2024, 03:24 PM) *

BTW, don't tighten the mounting screws. Let the thing sort of float.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif

Got it, thanks. I read that tightening it down is not exactly best practice!
campbellcj
I found a NOS SWF switch apparently for the MkI Golf/Rabbit that worked great on my 73. P/N on box is VW-171-953-513
mgarrison
I ordered mine from JBugs. There are two versions though...had to order both to figure out the correct one - one extra connector on the first one I got. Physically would not fit into the column opening.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/111953519H.html

Here's a pick comparing the Jbugs levers/switches with the originals:
Click to view attachment

Hope that helps! popcorn[1].gif
FL000
I just replaced mine with one sourced from Sierra Madre. Works great and happy to have the auto cancel functioning again. Had to bend the horn contact slightly for the horn to work, but luckily that was pretty easy to figure out.
Chaznaster
I just received a Dansk unit. I know their stuff is sometimes problematic. I'll let you all know how it goes ...
Chaznaster
QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Jun 7 2024, 08:21 PM) *

I just received a Dansk unit. I know their stuff is sometimes problematic. I'll let you all know how it goes ...

... and done. The part fit perfectly and I have a self canceling turn signal for the first time since I bought the car. I still reach to turn it off after turns. Old habits are hard to shake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.