Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tarrett Engineering High Performance Axle Set
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Phantommw
I bought some HP Axles for my 1975 914 from Tarrett Engineering. I believe these are the ones Renegade use for their cars.

When I went to put them on though, I noticed that they were significantly shorter, even with the spacers on both ends. Anyone else have this issue?

I haven't tried installing yet but wanted to make sure it will work because it looks like it won't.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
bdstone914
Are the CV joints fully extended on both sets of axles?
Call Tarrett.
Montreal914
I have a set of those axle. Currently the spacers are removed but I will try to do two measurements; extended and compressed and post here later today. My shafts are red.

BTW, those Tarret Engineering axles are actually using Loebro VW bus CVs PN 301137. These CVs are 100mm x 32mm with 33 splines. Adaptors are obviously custom machined and I don't know if the shafts are standard VW bus. It surely would make the whole thing easy to put together from available components if it was. I don't have a bus shaft on hand but I would be curious to compare the lengths. idea.gif
Montreal914
Measured from inside to inside:

Pushed in: ~15"
Extended: ~16 3/4"

Hope this helps! smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Steve
I had a set come loose in the SBC car I bought. No schnorr washers or locktite on the bolts. The pins got boogerd up a bit, so I bought a new set from Tarret. They bolted up same as the previous ones with no issues.
Chris914n6
According to the boots, the left side of the 914 axle is extended.

Yes, bus axles.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 8 2024, 12:29 AM) *

According to the boots, the left side of the 914 axle is extended.

Yes, bus axles.

agree.gif
Montreal914
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 7 2024, 08:47 PM) *

I had a set come loose in the SBC car I bought. No schnorr washers or locktite on the bolts.

I have also read this elsewhere... dry.gif
I got the set with other parts. I haven't installed it yet (restoration rolleyes.gif ), but I plan on looking at how to prevent the loosening...

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 8 2024, 05:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 8 2024, 12:29 AM) *

Yes, bus axles.

agree.gif

Makes sense. Great! All "family" and stock components except the adapters. sunglasses.gif

To the OP: Not sure why but your shafts seem different (other than color). There doesn't seem to be any locating humps on them to set the small end of the boot. confused24.gif
technicalninja
I'm a HUGE believer in Loctite...

Only real problem in this application is the bolts and threaded holes have to be SPOTLESS for the stuff to work.

I WOULD NOT use red here, blue ONLY!

I'd ALSO use brand new Schnorr washers...

On something high powered I might have them drilled and use safety wire (aircraft style).

The safety wire is the ONLY really trustable way, but it is such a PIA to work with.

I would NOT install the safety wire until I was sure I was truly done...

Removing that stuff after you install it properly is "practice bleeding" difficult.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.