Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hate to do this but I need a battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
I am not real excited to spend 300 for a new optima red top. What other options do I have and does it need to be AGM?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 12 2024, 08:32 AM) *

I am not real excited to spend 300 for a new optima red top. What other options do I have and does it need to be AGM?

I gave up on the AGM’s. Too finicky. I just use a regular battery on a 1amp trickle between drives. Going on four years. Starts strong…
914Sixer
Battery is a Group 42, however size does NOT appear on some charts. There is also some other batteries that are close in size
mlindner
Ben, I'd stick to Optima. Had in many cars and never had to replace. Hard driving, no driving, long storage, in the 914 haven't even had to charge. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
PlaysWithCars
I have to give a plug for Odessey battery. I'm running the diminutive 625 on my 2.4l without problem.
technicalninja
I've had crappy luck with Optimas...

Even recently!

I've seen 10+ that didn't make it over 3...

Others, including Clay Perrine have had stellar results. Had I seen results like they have I'd be a staunch supporter.

I have a 2-year-old popped yellow top that Interstate will not warranty as it went through Autozone/Orielly's, someone I didn't know bought it, and without their telephone# I'm screwed.

I WOULD NOT use a lead acid battery in the stock location.

I'd not use LA in an enclosed location (like the frunk).

I would use a normal looking AGM in the stock location.

They are a bit cheaper than the Optimas, 250 is really common.

Now, if the car NEVER got wet a lead acid might be applicable. They are closing on 200 now...
FlacaProductions
A couple of entries in my BATTERY file:

Eric shea says; optima 35 fits and works.

Personally - i think 96R looks right to me

From 2023:
Duracell AGM Automotive Battery, Group Size 47 (H5)
By Duracell | Item # 136036 | Model # 47 / H5

From 2022:
DieHard Platinum AGM Battery: 96R Group Size, 590 CCA, 735 CA, 80

burton73
The red tops have worked well for me as long as I don't let them sit for too long

Red Top put in by PMB

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment
technicalninja
I'm selling a MTX 47/H5 to a customer today on the old price list of 251.

Interstate had a price increase late May (that they didn't tell me about) and the new price is 275...

This is going in a 19 Subbie outback.

So, I have recent pricing on a group 47 AGM battery.
930cabman
My 356 had an Optima when I bought it in 2003, sold her in 2022 with the same battery. Needed a charge every so often after napping for the winter

I'd call that value
sb914
Yet another battery thread.
FlacaProductions
Yeah - but...it's a relatively convoluted space with a lot of choices and experiences. Additionally, it's a purchase that's only done every few years and the tech and choices change. Just like tires...
Literati914
I'm considering an AGM battery for a Miata application - in my 914. From what I've seen they seem to be at least 10lbs lighter than the alternatives and have a smaller footprint. But then, I've relocated to the trunk.

mb911
QUOTE(sb914 @ Jun 12 2024, 08:12 AM) *

Yet another battery thread.

I know I know sorry. My red top is from 2013 so it has lasted a long time and is always on trickle but it is getting tired.
JamesM
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 12 2024, 03:32 AM) *

I stopped using Optima's after they moved production to Mexico, the quality became really hit and miss. My original early 2000s optima lasted over 10 years, its replacement didn't make it to 2. Also worth noting that Costco stopped carrying them, I asked them why and they told me it was due to the high number of returns they got on them. I use Odyssey batteries with a mounting kit from Rennline now.

Buying the mount adds initial cost over a Optima Red top but replacement batteries are slightly less(the PC680 is about 200 bucks and the PC925 is about 250), installation is easier and you save something like 20+ lbs. Im sure you could make your own mount too, I just like the convince. I have them on all 4 of my 914s and my 951 and can confirm they handle discharing far better than the Redtops do these days, though I have cutoff switches on them all now as well as they all get stored for over half the year. Between the 680 and the 925 I Prefer the 925 due to its lower height(despite being the larger battery) but the 680 does weigh less and spins my motor over just fine.
gereed75
Went with a red top recently based on the outstanding 10 plus years of service I got from the last one. After hearing about switch to Mexico I will get fingers crossed. Also very much respect Costco’s opinion. There supply chain management is really good

Have had great luck with PC680. Have had maybe eight in my plane. Out of those have had one marginal one and one dead one that was accepted back on warranty. Get a good one and they are really good!!
JamesM
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jun 12 2024, 11:04 AM) *

Went with a red top recently based on the outstanding 10 plus years of service I got from the last one. After hearing about switch to Mexico I will get fingers crossed. Also very much respect Costco’s opinion. There supply chain management is really good

Have had great luck with PC680. Have had maybe eight in my plane. Out of those have had one marginal one and one dead one that was accepted back on warranty. Get a good one and they are really good!!

Agree on Costco, and when they did carry the Optima's they were a good deal less expensive than anywhere else as well.

I have had 5 PC925s and 1 PC680 so far and to date its only been the first 925 that I bought some 15 or so years ago that wore out and it spent a good deal of time fully discharged over winters (i didn't take the best care of it).

Had 3 red tops, the first was a good battery, the newer ones died faster than any battery I have ever owned. May have been partly related to care and feeding as I did let them go flat over the winter and I have heard they don't like to deep cycle, but the first never had a problem where 2 and 3 did. The Odysseys dont seem to mind a bit of abuse, they even advertise them as such

"twice the overall power and three times the life of conventional batteries—up to 400 cycles at 80% depth of discharge!"

So far i have zero complaints
mb911
Ok ordered a 925 we will see
FlacaProductions
Report back, please - on my list....
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 12 2024, 01:22 PM) *

Have a PC925 in my six for 4 1/2 years. Wired for a batter minder, but almost never use it unless the 914 will sit more than a month. Cranks right over even 3-4 weeks sitting.
windforfun
This one was purchased in 2008. I cooked the first one from 2007 when I shorted the terminals. Optima replaced it for free.

Whenever I put a flat washer on plastic, I install it burr side up. I do the opposite for metal to minimize lateral slippage. And it's burr side down with a lock washer. The flat(s) on the lock washer go burr side down too.

Whatever...

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
fiacra

My Odyssey 925 lasted only two years before it died. I'm back with the larger Odyssey 96R as my last one was 10 years old and going strong when I sold that car. I'd keep the 925 on a trickle charger at all times. If you are putting this in the stock location you will need a "frame" to put it in. You may also need the terminal posts. You can have mine if you want them. PM me with your address and I'll send it to you gratis.

@mb911
trick-e
Reconsider the Odyssey 680. Less $, smaller and lighter. I’ve used it for 3+ w/out issues.
Chris914n6
Technically we don't need a group 42 battery anymore, as capacity has improved over the decades.

Battery sizes also follow similar dimensions, so there are shorter and/or smaller width options.

Lately the 914 gets whatever battery I have in a non running car at the time. My next 914 specific battery will likely be a pc680 or 925.
I've had good results with the Walmart Maxx in the dailies, and the price is cheaper than the auto stores by a bunch.
Justinp71

I put my car on a diet a year ago went with Odyssey PC680 battery, have a hi-torq starter and starting relay. Has been fine to start the 3.2 six. PC925 not a bad idea though incase you need a little extra umph plus your in a little colder climate, not sure do AGM's get as effected as the normal lead acid batteries in cold weather?
mb911
QUOTE(fiacra @ Jun 12 2024, 03:25 PM) *

My Odyssey 925 lasted only two years before it died. I'm back with the larger Odyssey 96R as my last one was 10 years old and going strong when I sold that car. I'd keep the 925 on a trickle charger at all times. If you are putting this in the stock location you will need a "frame" to put it in. You may also need the terminal posts. You can have mine if you want them. PM me with your address and I'll send it to you gratis.

@mb911

Ordered the posts. What frame did you buy/use?
FlacaProductions
https://www.rennline.com/lightweight-batter...-sku-el36v3-35/
-or-
https://www.rennline.com/lightweight-batter...25-sku-el36-35/

Not sure the difference between the versions - both the same price. Different SKU's..
windforfun
So the mount is $150. How much is the battery? $250? What a deal.

https://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-802...MSBU9U&th=1

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
FlacaProductions
$215 here (after you add it to the cart) and free ship
https://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc925-battery.html
windforfun
How do you attach conventional battery wiring to the thing? Those terminals load from the top & not from the side. I guess it's time for new wiring too. That'll run another 10,000 pesos in parts & labor, especially these days.

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
technicalninja
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jun 12 2024, 07:56 PM) *

https://www.rennline.com/lightweight-batter...-sku-el36v3-35/
-or-
https://www.rennline.com/lightweight-batter...25-sku-el36-35/

Not sure the difference between the versions - both the same price. Different SKU's..

Those are cool little mounts.
I'd get the "remote cut off switch model".
So much easier to just pull a knob!

The little baby battery looks neat.
900amps for 5 seconds is STOMPING for something that size.
It's really affordable too! (For AGM technology).

Hope it lasts better than the old style Optimas...

Thanks for the Links Flaca!

And, regardless of windforfun's comments, that stuff is NOT priced badly.
@mb911 what do you think you would charge for a battery mount like that?
I'm betting it's more than 160...
No way I'd try to build that for less.
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 12 2024, 06:43 PM) *

How do you attach conventional battery wiring to the thing? Those terminals load from the top & not from the side.

https://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-sae-terminals.html
bkrantz
IMO there are two critical battery rules for 914s.

1. No matter brand or size, the battery must be sealed, especially if it mounts in the stick location. No more 914s need to die from leaking battery acid.

2. Unless you drive your 914 at least 2 or 3 times a week, you need to leave the battery on a charger. Do this religiously, and your battery will last far longer than the stated life.
Artfrombama
Click to view attachment
windforfun
The fewer the parts the better from a reliability point of view. This is especially the case if the battery gets wet. Besides, the location of a heavy battery helps to balance the load of the driver. Pick your poison. BTW, my Optima rig only gets connected to a tender in the winter time & even if I forget to do this, the car starts up flawlessly. This battery is a "Die Hard" like Sears used to sell. BTDT with the VWs.

dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif
fiacra
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 12 2024, 05:51 PM) *

QUOTE(fiacra @ Jun 12 2024, 03:25 PM) *

@mb911

Ordered the posts. What frame did you buy/use?

@mb911

IIRC I got it on eBay. Pictures below. It fits perfectly into the stock battery tray but you cannot use the stock battery hold down. However it is such a tight fit that the battery can't move, unless you roll the car. If you know anyone with metal fabrication skills they probably could easily modify this to fit the stock hold down biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

mb911
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 12 2024, 05:43 PM) *

How do you attach conventional battery wiring to the thing? Those terminals load from the top & not from the side. I guess it's time for new wiring too. That'll run another 10,000 pesos in parts & labor, especially these days.

What you have side mount wiring? Installing this battery is pretty easy to me. I can fabricate whatever is needed. Ps my car stays on a tender all the time with the power to the car shut off as well
mb911
QUOTE(Artfrombama @ Jun 12 2024, 06:48 PM) *

Simple and easy I like that
mb911
To give you all an idea. I will make sure the wiring is cleanClick to view attachment
mlindner
Nice job Ben, talk about clean and organized. The best I've seen. Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.