Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailer Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
richardL
Can someone explain the standard types of connectors between the tow vehicle and a typical trailer.

Mostly I recall seeing a circular plug, 6 pin I think. However, my Explorer and other vehicles I've looked at has an inline 4 pin connector attached.

So, if I wanted to tow do I have to buy an adapter to the circular connector, or do trailers have a 4 pin inline connector or what? What type of connector would be found on most car trailers?

Thanks,
Richard
tryan
four pin is most common. my trucks always come with a 7 (round)to 4 (rectangular)adapter. pollack? is the brand name.
Mueller
Trailer Wiring Connectors

My truck has the 7-pole round connector which uses an adaptor to go the the 4-pin flat connector of my trailer.

4-pin, basic lights

7-pin, lights plus electric brakes if trailer is so equipped (and truck has the modual)
URY914
What Mueller said.

Paul
EdwardBlume
Like you my 4Runner had the inline 4 pin. When I bought a trailer (great deal BTW) the shop told me to go to a round 7 pin so I could control the brakes on the trailer.

I went to an RV shop and for $400 got the wiring and brake controller bought and installed. I think it only uses 6 of the connections, with the 7th available for other apps.

Good luck!! cool.gif
URY914
The 7 pins are for:
1. right turn
2. left turn
3. brake
4. ground
5. back-up (optional)
6. brakes (optional)
7. extra pin (use for running lights, interior light, etc)

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.