Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can 911 cylinders be fitted on a type 4?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
some cool materials available, along with some in between bore sizes....

things to worry about...
stud pattern?
lip where they meet the head?
Bottom where they meet the case?

just curious if it had been done, IIRC ive seen it...
Mueller
964 or 993 cylinders and heads have been adapted before, I thought at one time Jake was even going down this path.....

A shop in England has done it with good results...if you have ask, you cannot afford it applies here smile.gif
jonwatts
I don't know, but if it were easy I don't think they'd have gone to the trouble of making nikkies.

bernbomb914
There was a post from a fellow from europe on shoptalkfourm who was doing this with pics. It has been some time thou.

Bernie
Jake Raby
doing it as we speak... The only advantage to using them is if you need the extra head sealing capability of the RSR cylinder/Head gasket from the Big Turbo engine... OR if you want to run 911 heads. I'm doing it for 4 other reasons on this engine that I'll share later on another channel-

I am using a set of Charles' 911 cylinders in the 102mm bore size (3.8 RSR) to create a 2680cc Intercooled Turbo for a customer in Germany. We just started the case mods now and the project will take clear through May 2006 to finish because of so much one off work.. (FYI Charles has an RSR customer pumping 40 PSI boost through a set of these same 911 cylinders)

The key to make it all work you need to attach two pieces of blanchard ground Aluminum plate to the case with several different attachment methods and then rebore the new stud pattern into the plate as well as the cylinder registers. I used .700 Aluminum plate because the RSR cylinder is .650 shorter than a TIV cylinder from seating surface to seating surface and it will allow me the capability of creating equal length head studs to overcome another engineering faults that our buddies at VW gave us.....(wit till you see how we are doing this- you'll freak)

So....... Don't even think about doing this unless you have a full machine shop at your disposal- The normal person would never have to even worry about it- Just buy TIV Nickies and be done...

But making 400 Reliable ponies and holding 25 PSI boost is another whole world.... We need all the help and tricks we can throw at it. Hell I have 30 hours labor in it so far and I don't even have the welding and initial machine fitting done yet!!!!!
Dave_Darling
It's also been done by modifying the cylinders, rather than all the stuff Jake is talking about. I'm not sure how well it worked, though. Didn't Wes over at H&H have something to do with one setup like that?

A whooooooole lotta machining was required though.

--DD
Jake Raby
Yes, you could relocate the stud pattern by boring the holes larger and offset in the cylinder- But thats the half assed way to do it and it weakens the cylinder. You'd still need a .650 shim under the cylinder to even get back to zero for a stock engine- a stroker may need .900!

scotty914
what about the guy who makes 4 cylinder motors using 911 pistons and cylinders, his own heads, his own case, and basicly a cut down -6 crank. what he makes is basicly a 4 cylinder -6 motor
Gary
This one: 356 cab with 4 cylinder 911 motor?

Very cool, but bring cubic $$$.
Jake Raby
Yeah.. about the same cost as one of my "Super Heros" that will make MORE TORQUE!

The 911 engine does not supercede the girth of the TIV bottom end and case- the TIV had to hold the weight and load of a 5,000 pound bus, not a 3,500 pound sports car...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.