Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No key for the ignition. HELP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
I have the steering wheel off and the t. signal levers out and I need to know what to do next. I have no key and the steering is locked in place. It won't matter if the switch is mangled.
Help
Thanks
CCLINSTRAIGHTISTHEONLYWAY
boxstr
Okay have to go. If you have a solution call me 503-799-5794.
Heading to CAMP 914.
Craig
goose2
run Craig!! The COPS are coming!
mk114
did that work?
boxstr
Michael I got my new tires and wheels from Coker for the hot rod. So I worked on that instead. Saturday.
CCLINALONGWAYHOME
TravisNeff
The locking pin will stop you from getting that bugger out. Take out the passenger door handle and take it to a locksmith to make a key. Easy 'nuff.
bd1308
but what if his door handles arent matched, like mine?

ohmy.gif
TravisNeff
driver side door, trunk locks (either) or the glove box lock. Actually the rear trunk lock would be the easiest to pull. Aside from that, your fuched. Actually not, you can have a mobile locksmith come out and make a key for you on the spot. They did that for me about 10-15 years ago for about $50.00 Of course the next day I found the key I lost wacko.gif

I tried like hell to get the switch out of the ignition, using dental picks and crap to try to push in the locking pin. It wasn't working for me, at that point I was looking for a chainsaw.
Allan
Don't feel bad Craig. I was in London one time driving my MG Midget to a wedding reception. Got drunk and lost the key. After the reception the weather was in the single digit area. Tore the entire culumn apart and even talked a shop owner into selling me a hacksaw at 2:00 a.m.

Finally got the car started and as I was driving away one of the cleaning guys from the wedding hall ran over and handed me the key. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
Rgreen914
I once locked the key to my state vehicle inside while the car was parked in the tunnel under the Long Beach PD station; cars are only supposed to park there while unloading prisoners as the booking area is just inside and the tunnel is often congested by black and whites (the watch sergeant gets highly upset if this tunnel is blocked, especially if it's not one of their cars). Luckily for me, lots of cops carry "slim-jims" in their "bag of tricks" and the problem was quickly solved.

Ron
bondo
Didn't I read somewhere that if you know where to drill you can drill a little hole and depress the locking pin through that? Or was that for something else?
boxstr
Michael Harris called and gave me a few pointers, so Saturday I will see what happens and get back to you all with the out come.
CCLINKEYINC.
boxstr
Okay here we go. The ignition switch can be removed if you do not have a key. I removed the igniton switch by poking a small pin into the small hole you see int eh switch assembly. After that was done you can then push the lock assembly that sits down inside the switch to the right and pull the whole thing out. and VOILA unlocked.
Thank you one and all.
CCLINFREEWHEELING
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.