Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake proportioning pressure regulator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ratrustle
I'm only 44 so both me and the car outa be hard (it's the car that has the problems).

I'm stumped! I just replaced all the brake parts on my car... Lines, calipers, pads, and rotors. I have bleed the lines like Eric's articles says to do and adjusted the rear calipers (.004). Everything has gone real smooth -- except for one thing. I still have a mushy pedal. I have bleed the lines 3 different times starting with the RR, LR, RF, LF and doing the bottom bleeder first on each caliper.

I have read the threads about adjusting the proportioning valve. The Haynes manual calls it the Brake Pressure Regulator? The problem I'm having is that I can't find the darned thing!

Where is this thing? Is it possible I don't have one and have done something else wrong?

Any help, pictures, etc. would be real helpful.

URY914
It is in front of the engine, behind the driver's seat, on the lower firewall. You can only get to it from under the car.
Allan
Does it actually have a bleeder on it?
bd1308
my vote is no....

just have to bleed the air through it, cant directly bleed the valve...
ratrustle
Well, I don't see anything there other than a brass tee that seems to go to both rear calipers.

Do some cars come without this device?

Maybe it's like Microsoft Windows and I just have an "unnannounced feature"!

Lou W
Here you go, upper left of picture;

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (ratrustle @ Aug 28 2005, 12:05 AM)
Well, I don't see anything there other than a brass tee that seems to go to both rear calipers.
Do some cars come without this device?

some owners who believe they are being smarter than the factory replace them with a T.

Question One: Do You Have Stock Brakes ?

if you have big calipers up front from some kind of conversion, you're probably OK.

if not, watch out for the day you put heavy stuff in the front trunk, have a full tank of gas, and hit the brakes on a curve on a rainy day. you'll have a lovely view of oncoming traffic after you've looped to the outside of the curve...

the proportioner *is* heavy and hard to bleed. there are better, lighter versions available now, and if you have stock brakes and stock-ish tire sizing IMO you should run one. the proportioner is designed to save you in a panic stop and keep the rear brakes from locking first, sending you off the road backwards (an unpleasant thing).

if you have some kind of properly engineered brake upgrade, nevermind.
ratrustle
OK, so I didn't have a proportioning valve until today. I had one in the box of spare parts that came with the car. I thought it was a spare master cylinder.

I only spent 3 and a half hours installing this thing and getting the extra air out of the lines.

I really appreciate everyones help with this. I would have never found what I didn't have without the assistance.

RR
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 27 2005, 11:04 PM)
my vote is no....

just have to bleed the air through it, cant directly bleed the valve...

bs.gif you just crack the top line to bleed it!! jeebus Britt!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.