Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystery Paint Code... "L63E"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Richard Casto
Ok, I this is for a 1972. PO had painted the car a bronze color which is going to go. I was curious as to what the original color was (might put car back to original, might not). He didn't paint under the hood and part of the front trunk area. Looks to be original paint and is a dark green.

Paint code on Karmann tag is "L63E". As far as I know, there is no "L63E". There is an "L60E" and and "L63K" for my model year. Based upon looking at the color examples here http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html I would say that the color actually looks like the "L60E" (Irish Green).

I am going to eventually send off for the COA, but after buying welding equipment, etc. this month, I will have to wait another month or more before I am ready to spend $100 or so on something like that. Tools and other stuff comes first. biggrin.gif

Anyhow, does anyone have a clue as to what is going on? Is this just incorrectly marked? Do I have the only example of this paint color rolleyes.gif (I can't find any mention of any "L63E as a valid volkswagon paint code)? How do they mark custom colors? Is this a custom color?

I have attached a photo that shows the tag. I used a paint remover to remove the bronze as the PO didn't mask off the tag. You can see some of the green under the bronze.
davep
I'd say you are correct. Irish green L60E. Whoever made up the stamp got it wrong. Thanks for posting the picture. What is the VIN for this car?
Richard Casto
VIN is 4722916581
wilchek
my tag is incorrect also. It appears that my tag was for the car built 2 after my car as the body build number in the rear trunk floor and the tag are two serial numbers off. Not so much quality control going on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.