Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When best to check Oil Level?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott Carlberg
Ok, with my '73 1.7, the [COLOR=green]Green[/COLOR=green] Oil Lite keeps
flickering on & off.

When exactly is the best time to check the Oil Level?

Cold?
Hot?
Warmed up a couple of minutes?

If the lite is coming on, I usually check the level 5-10 minutes after getting home.
Is that Good or Bad?

And finally...
is the Green Lite ONLY for the Oil Level, or does it serve another purpose also?
Brad Roberts
Scott.. your going to burn up another engine.

Check the oil once a week.

The volume of oil doesnt change with heat... but it does drain back quicker to the bottom of the engine (which could read more).

Check it hot or cold... just check it once a week. Dont wait on the light.

B
MarkV
Ummm... the green light comes on when you have no oil pressure. I suppose you could call it a oil level indicator because if you have no oil you have no oil pressure. icon8.gif

The oil level is best checked cold before you start the car. Cold will give you the most accurate reading on the dipstick.
redshift
Check it cold, and when it's full, add one pint.

Uhh, make sure the car is level.

(thanks for reminding me karl.. your sig file..)

M
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 29 2003, 10:36 PM)
Scott.. your going to burn up another engine.

Check the oil once a week.

The volume of oil doesnt change with heat... but it does drain back quicker to the bottom of the engine (which could read more).

Check it hot or cold... just check it once a week. Dont wait on the light.

B

I'm NOT doing it!

When I drive the car alot, I'm putting a quart in every 10-14 days.
It's leaking (NO! a german aircooled engine leaking?) but the oil is also
going right thru the engine somewhere.

My local mechanic still thinks I got a good deal: $500 including the
install. unsure.gif

Ok, thanks all. I will check it when it's cold.
I've been checking it when it's warm, because I thought that was the way
to do it. It's really no wonder why I don't do stuff to my car confused24.gif
Mueller
500 for a motor and an install??

That is a great deal, even if it is leaking some oil..........
ChrisReale
I have read that it is best to check the oil level when the car is warmed up. What is the final answer?
redshift
When it's cold, and level, you know where the oil is, so when it's on the line, you can still add that extra pint or so with complete confidence.

M
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Jul 30 2003, 08:12 AM)
I have read that it is best to check the oil level when the car is warmed up. What is the final answer?

Hi,
I check my 911 when the engine is hot and running. I check the914/4 when it is cold and stopped. Since my 914 hasn't run in 8 months I check it everyday!! laugh.gif
Cheers, Elliot
rhodyguy
take a paper towel and check it EVERYTIME, before you start it for the first time during the day. it takes what, 30 seconds?

kevin
nebreitling
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 30 2003, 11:41 AM)
\
I check my 911 when the engine is hot and running. I check the914/4 when it is cold and stopped.

agree.gif

this is precisely what i thought.
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 30 2003, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Jul 30 2003, 08:12 AM)
I have read that it is best to check the oil level when the car is warmed up.  What is the final answer?

Hi,
I check my 911 when the engine is hot and running. I check the914/4 when it is cold and stopped. Since my 914 hasn't run in 8 months I check it everyday!! laugh.gif
Cheers, Elliot

Hot and running? So, do you have somebody else steer while you climb into the engine compartment? laugh.gif

I check my Subaru while it is cold. I just read om Pelican you should do it while the oil is warmed up. It makes sense to check the level when it is cold headbang.gif
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Jul 30 2003, 06:23 PM)
It makes sense to check the level when it is cold headbang.gif

Think about it...
the car is cold (been sitting 6-8 hrs.) all the oil (or most of it) is drained down sit'n around that stick thingy that lets you know where the oil level is??? idea.gif
Less chance of an over fill cool_shades.gif
bruce
Mark Henry
Hot or cold it doesn’t really matter to me.

The big issue is to make sure the car is on level ground!
The Type 4 engine dipstick is grossly affected by how the car is sitting.

I check my cars cold in the shop (my drive is on a hill) and/or I only use gas stations with a level pad at the pumps. I pump my gas then check my oil, religiously.
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.