Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ducts for engine cooling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
groot
In another thread some of us discussed a variety of methods to get fresh, cool air to the engine to assist in engine cooling.

I ran this setup at M-O last weekend and my CHTs dropped to under 400 degrees for the first time since my engine rebuild. Before these ducts, I could only run 1 or 2 hot laps before my CHTs got too hot. Now, I can run 20 laps at M-O and the temps stay under 400 degrees.

2-3" ducts from each turn signal opening.

Front view with the fender off:
groot
Under side of modified NACA duct attached to the turn signal opening:
groot
Into the fan housing....
groot
Another view of the hose running in the front fender:
Allan
How do you get it all the way to the engine compartment? Through the rocker panels, passenger compartment??
groot
Passenger compartment.... maybe not the best option for a street car.
ChrisFoley
Good deal Kevin, looks like a winner!
Aaron Cox
easier than a naca duct in the rear qtr?? confused24.gif

looks good
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Aug 28 2005, 10:41 PM)
easier than a naca duct in the rear qtr?? confused24.gif

looks good

We're only allowed to use existing openings in the bodywork Aaron. Tends to complicate things a bit.
Brett W
Do your tires not hit the ducts in bump and roll?
maf914
I remember seeing Bob Kirby's black 914 at the runoffs when they were last held at Road Atlanta (a few years ago!). His car had a round duct routed from the front trunk to the engine fan inlet and a fan with no or few blades. In the front trunk there were rectangular ducts in a Y-shape feeding the round duct from the headlight buckets. Similar concept to Kevin's.
URY914
Nice work. The sheetmental duct at the engine inlet is a good chose.

Paul
groot
No interference... I'm running a bit more ground clearance than you're planning, ~4" in the front. I need to run this much to give me 1.25" of travel before the jounce bumper comes in. My strut could be a little shorter to give me more travel, but I'm living with what I have for now.

Many SCCA 914 have the sewer duct, but my package layout does not allow me to run one through the middle of the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.