Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tired Springs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
black914
According to "Tech Tips 700", page 38, item #265, I may be suffering from weak spring syndrome! I have attached photos showing the left rear, right rear, right rear fender clearance and a side view to show front to rear difference.

As near as I can tell, the springs currently on the car have two green marks. If I need new springs, what do you people recommend?
I have Bilstein shocks (do not know their current age) which came with the car.
black914
Here are the other pictures...
black914
another pic...
black914
and the last one...
black914
oops, here is the right side photo...
Midtowner
Thanks for asking this question! I've got OLD red Koni's and think I'm sagging too! sad.gif
Mueller
one thing to consider is that "as delivered" the 914 was normally higher in the front...so it has an illusion of having weak rear springs wink.gif

the Koni reds should be hydralic, they should have no bearing on the ride height, only gas filled shocks would have an impact on ride height (Koni Yellows, Bilstiens, KYB's plus a few others (or air shocks as well)
Tobra
Stock super beetles are set up higher in the front too. Isn't there a ride height adjustment for front and back?

On IRS bugs, you have torsion bars on the back that set ride height, shocks have little to do with ride height, as I understand it. You have some excessive negative camber too, so somethin' ain't right, have seen that on VW, MB and BMW on the rear.
Midtowner
Well, I didn't know that about teeners riding higher in the front. Thanks! smile.gif
John
Due to the fact that there is no published factory rear ride height dimension given (only a difference from side to side), there can be no sagging springs.

Way back when 914's were new, it appears (from old pictures) that the cars came from the factory with a slight nose-up attitude.

If you are concerned with the stiffness of your rear springs and you use the car for street, I would suggest not going much stiffer than 140lb rear springs.

just my $0.02
Andyrew
double green marks where what.. 105 lbs? if that?

Just get yourself a set of 140's, and live happy.
redshift
Lots more camber on the right though... unsure.gif

M
SirAndy
QUOTE (redshift @ Aug 29 2005, 12:51 AM)
Lots more camber on the right though... unsure.gif

agree.gif
check your suspension ear for cracks ...

how many (or not) alignment shims do you have on each side?
idea.gif Andy
black914
Andy,

I do not know the number of shims at this time...I will have to jack her up tomorrow and try to produce a count. Let's assume there are no shims present (which is highly probable, knowing the things that were done by the previous owner). I highly suspect the springs are probably shot by now. It would be best to replace the springs and then get the alignment done, would it not?

Which leads me to the next question. I would think that a 4-wheel alignment would not be something that your local alignment shop would be able to accomplish, particularly to a 1975 porsche 914. Would it not be better to take it to the nearest porsche dealership that would hopefully have the proper shims necessary to do an appropriate alignment? My nearest dealership is about one-hour's drive away.
SirAndy
QUOTE (black914 @ Aug 30 2005, 05:15 PM)
I would think that a 4-wheel alignment would not be something that your local alignment shop would be able to accomplish, particularly to a 1975 porsche 914.

yes, your local "american iron" alignment shop will *not* have the needed shims.

and yes, i agree, get new springs/shocks first, then worry about the alignment.

while you are in there, examine the suspension "ear" (where the trailing arm mounts to) for cracks, especially the pass. side ...

get some good shocks like bilstein or koni with the threaded collars which will allow you to set *any* ridehight you desire.

someone here on the board (engman?) makes reproduction alignment shims ...
beerchug.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.