Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with rear brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kevin@ojai.net
So, a few minutes ago I tried replacing my rear brake pads with out success. I was unable to retract the pistons far enough into the calipers to fit the new pads in. All I did during my failed attempt was remove the old pads, then pry against the pistons. This process has worked for me on other vehicles, but I had almost no luck on the 914. I was able to retract the pistons a little, but not nearly enough to get the new pads installed. What am I forgetting to do? What am I doing wrong?

-Kevin

Aaron Cox
back out/in the adjusters.
venting clearance that is...

outer adjuster you turn clockwise to move the piston out (retract), inner piston you turn anti-clockwise

allen head ~4mm
davep
I'd read up on rebuilding the calipers before doing anything else. That will give you a grasp as to how they work. The last thing you want to do is break them as I have seen so often. Also do a seach on venting clearance. You will need to know the proper value and it is wrong in the books.
Kevin@ojai.net
Thanks, I'll give the vent adjusting screw a try later this week -- don't feel like jacking the car up and pulling the wheel when its starting to get dark.

-Kevin
davep
You will need the time to do the proper research. It is not a trivial operation if the calipers are seizing. I have twenty calipers in process right now, and it is a difficult process. I'm sure Eric Shea has even more in process. Look for his posts.
John
Good luck in getting the inner adjuster access plugs off/out if you have never done it before. Those can be a real bitch if the previous owner either never had them out or stripped them.
Kevin@ojai.net
Is there more than the one adjuster on the wheelside of the caliper? Is there a similar adjuster on the engine side of the caliper? I don't remember seeing anything other than the one adjuster.

-Kevin
John
The outer adjuster only adjusts the outer piston. It had a plastic cap covering it. There is a jam nut to loosen, then the adjustment is made with the socket head screw (allen screw).

The inner piston adjuster is accessed through the hole in the trailing arm. (That's why that is there). The inner adjuster came with a socket head bolt as a cap. There was an improved part that was a hex head bolt cap. The adjuster is another socket head screw exactly like the outer adjuster except that the inner adjuster has no jam nut.

The adjusters are used to retract the pistons as well as to adjust the venting gap for the rear brake pads.

Good luck and read your manual.
davep
Just to get you started, in addition to all the good advice so far. I would start by removing the caliper from the car and using a big bench vise to hold the caliper while working on it. I like to use old brake line ends with the line cut off flush and welded closed as plugs on open lines and ports. I'd open the bleed valves and drain the caliper, then blow out any more fluid with compressed air. I use small drill bits to clean the inside of the bleeders until you can see daylight coming from the small hole in the end. Scrub the caliper as clean as you can, and rinse with rubbing alcohol or use brake cleaner. Remove the piston dust boots carefully. Clean and flush the exposed piston carefully. I use small brass brushes

The outer adjuster is supposed to have a brown plastic cap with a 13mm hex head. Carefully remove the cap if it is there. Underneath is the threaded adjuster with a 13mm jamb nut. Loosen the jamb nut, but don't remove; there is a C clip that is supposed to keep the jamb nut from coming off. You should now be able to turn the adjuster with an Allen key; clockwise threads the shaft into the piston and pulls it into the bore. In the event that the piston is seized, very common, the adjuster just seems to spin and does nothing. If this happens, then very seriously consider talking to Eric Shea about his exchange program. What happens is that the internal mechanism has become unlocked from the piston. The mechanism has a lock ring that fits into an internal groove. If you turn the adjuster counter-clockwise enough you should hear an audible snap as the mechanism is repositioned in the groove. You can try again to see if the piston will retract. If you can get the piston to move, push it out about a half inch and clean what you can. Then retract until the step is flush with the bore. Reinstall the dust boot, then retract fully until the piston face is flush with the bore.

If the piston does not want to move, you can try this procedure to push the piston out. Carefully remove the C clip; I use two small screwdrivers to put on both sides until it is loose, then put one screwdriver into the gap and pry off; if you are not very careful you can loose this clip, so go slow and easy. Then unscrew the jamb nut to the end of the adjuster. Tap on the adjuster & nut with a hammer to drive the piston out. If it moves, very good, and when the nut bottoms out just unscrew the adjuster and try again. Eventually you can drive the piston completely out. I often use a green kitchen scrub pad to remove rust from the pistons. If the piston is pitted, you need to replace it; call Eric for a rebuilt caliper. If you get this far, you will probably have to get the rebuild kits and replace all the seals. In particular, the small O-ring on the adjuster shaft tends to disintegrate and will leak if not replaced. While many people are able to do this, it is not a trivial task and should be left to experts. That is why the factory said never to disassemble the calipers; they didn't trust the dealership mechanics to do the job properly let alone a customer.

The inner adjuster is also under a cap; it is supposed to be a round flat cap with an Allen key hole. Use a drift that about covers the cap, and hammer firmly to try and break the rust locking it on. Hopefully an Allen key will remove the cap after the hammering has loosen it. If not, and this is very common, you will need a cold chisel and the hammer to remove it. A dull chisel is best so that it doesn't cut the material off. Suitable application of heat and penetrating oil etc is also reccommended. Note that there is supposed to be a copper washer under the head of the cap. There is supposed to be a gear with an Allen key hole within the adjuster bore. If not, you will have to check the other caliper. I would hazzard a guess that most cars will now only have one adjuster for the two calipers; this was true almost 20 years ago. Because this adjuster is geared it works in reverse to the outer adjuster. You also have the parking brake lever to assist in moving the inner piston. The lever has an internal cam that acts on the end of the internal adjuster shaft moving the shaft and the piston together. Since you don't have direct access to the shaft to tap with a hammer, you are limited to turning the geared adjuster clockwise, then pulling on the lever to force the piston out.

The internal mechanisms are designed to retract the pistons by spring action after the brakes have been hydraulically activated and released. In the front calipers the retraction mechanism rides on a shaft which it grips securely enough for applying a retractive force, but slides easily enough to be forced out as the pads wear, and forced in to be reset when new pads are installed. On the rear, these mechanisms are threaded to the adjuster shafts. They only have a small amount of travel, say a few millimeters. If you do not constantly adjust the venting clearance (0.004")as the pads wear, say every 10,000 miles, then the mechanisms will be pulled out of the pistons. It could happen that the parking brake is not effective due to the mechanism becomming unlocked from the piston. You need to turn the adjuster clockwise until the mechanism snaps back into place, then the lever should move the piston.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif Dave did a brain dump on you. READ IT. All good advice. wink.gif

I seriously doubt you'll be able to get the inner adjuster cover off with just the 4mm. If you want to attempt to put in new pads without pulling the caliper then I would suggest a MAPP torch on the rear adjuster before you even "attempt" its removal. Once you get it off you should be good to go. Use a long socket extension and a 4mm hex socket. If you can't get it then plan on Dave's route of removing and benching it. Plan on bleeding etc. (you and the car) biggrin.gif

It would probably be best to remove the brakeline clip and at least take the 19mm's out to remove the caliper. Good time to inspect the dust cover boots as Dave suggested. They are the #1 cause of stuck pistons (those and shitty brakefluid) as a torn one will allow water in to rust the piston top and bore.

You're in for a dime right now... the dollars come quickly. On a positive note, most pistons will move if done properly. Can they work better with a rebuild? Sure, but you should be fine if you can get them adjusted. Good luck.
Kevin@ojai.net
Wow! Thanks for the write up, very good information!

Right now the car is under a shade tree in my apt. parking lot, so I want to avoid taking the caliper off at all costs. I took the pads off to investigate a rubbing sound, and discovered my inner pad was destroyed and f-d up the rotor. So I am trying to get a new pad in there so I can drive the car to a garage where I can replace the rotors and pads on all four corners. Hopefully I'll be able to retract that inner piston with the caliper still on the car. I'll resort to towing it to a better place to work on it before pulling that caliper in the parking lot.

-Kevin
davep
Okay, but remember, you cannot force the piston back, you must use the adjuster. In the last 10 years I never seen the adjuster cap come off without a fight in a bench vise. Also, never use a tool on the pistons. I've seen Vise-grip marks on some sides and missing faces on others. That means a scrap caliper and very big bucks. If you don't know what you are doing, send it to someone who does.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.