Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lost low beams
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikelsr
I went to take the teener for a night drive and found that I don't have the low beams anymore. The high beams work fine. The only thing I did was to pull out the old antenna lead and put a new one in. I am looking for single point of failures since both lights don't work. One is the fuse (hich is good), second is ground (need to find and check that), and third is a relay (can someone point me to the correct relay). Any other thing I should be looking at?

TIA
lapuwali
There are two fuses (right and left low beams), and two ground points. There's no relay, unless a PO has added one. There may be only one wire leading in to your fuses (the fuses are bussed together in the fusebox). Fuses 3&4, the large yellow wires, counted left to right. Check to see if the yellow wire from the switch is plugged in, and then check to see if you have power with the headlight switch pulled completely out. If you don't, start looking at the switch itself.
goose2
Actually there is a relay that controls the bright/dim function and if it's not working, either brights or dims are a no show. The relay is on top of the fuse panel with the others (round ones)...it should be rectangular, upper right if I remember correctly, as the fuse panel is hanging vertically. With your lights on, you should be able to hear and feel it click when you work the dimmer switch. Not sure that this is your problem, I'd check Lapuwali's suggestions first, but this caused similar problems on one of my cars. I think it's NLA but I found a VW part that worked.
Tab914
agree.gif

Had that same problem. It is a square relay on top (underneath when panel is still screwed in) of the fuse panel. The relay has a metal cover. Pull the tabs back with a screwdriver and remove the cover. You'll probably find a wire or contact in there that has come loose and just needs to be resoldered. Tack it back on and that should save you the trouble of having to buy (find) another.
Worked for me. wink.gif
mikelsr
Thanks for all the info. I will check tonight to see what is going on.
Tobra
I have the same problem, but it is the high beams, interested in what you find.
mikelsr
Well I found out why my low beams weren't working -- the fuses were missing, gone, nada... confused24.gif

I was looking at the wrong end of the fuse panel at first but got the book out and found the correct location.

Put a new set in and they are working fine.

Don't even ask, I have no idea where they went to.

Thanks for your input.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (mikelsr @ Sep 6 2005, 11:28 AM)
Well I found out why my low beams weren't working -- the fuses were missing, gone, nada... confused24.gif

Don't even ask, I have no idea where they went to.

Thanks for your input.

They're on the floor, where they fell when you kicked the fusebox. See it all the time ............................. The Cap'n
mikelsr
Nope. I had the seats out and didn't find them. Maybe they attached themselves to my shoes and went for a walk with me! rolleyes.gif

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.