Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Cheesehead Screws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMartin914
I currently have the bulk of my engine tin off and have ruined a few of the cheesehead screws. I am contemplating whether or not to simply buy some new cheeseheads from the local VW place and make sure to use anti-sieze on them, or should I replace the cheeseheads with another type of fastener altogether.

Any suggestions? BTDT?
URY914
The one's at the VW shops are pretty cheap. They are chrome and are real soft.

I've used standard hex heads bolts and used allen head bolts. I like the allen heads. The look cool and clean. You can find stainless steel ones at hardware stores or HD or Lowes.

P
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (URY914 @ Aug 30 2005, 10:27 AM)
The one's at the VW shops are pretty cheap. They are chrome and are real soft.

I've used standard hex heads bolts and used allen head bolts. I like the allen heads. The look cool and clean. You can find stainless steel ones at hardware stores or HD or Lowes.

P

metric socket head cap screws smile.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (URY914 @ Aug 30 2005, 12:27 PM)
I like the allen heads. The look cool and clean. You can find stainless steel ones at hardware stores or HD or Lowes.

P

agree.gif i got a box of cool black allen-heads @ the hardware store...
double-a
i've wondered about this too. what's the thread pitch on those cheeseheads?

~a
BMartin914
Looks like we have consensus about allen head cap screws. There are different lengths though, but I guess that doesn't really matter when you are just attaching 2 pieces of tin together - more so when you re-attach the impeller housing to the case.
type47
6mm
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (double-a @ Aug 30 2005, 09:35 AM)

~a

6mm x 1. VW went to Phillips head screws for the tin in 77 and up, a pretty satisfactory move. As others have said, there are several lengths to consider, but most of the screws are about 12mm long. The Cap'n
Engman
SS Allen head - no more rust and you can actually turn em.

M
yeahmag
Doesn't stainless steel and aluminum set you up for some pretty nasty electrolosis? The stainless steel screws in the aluminum mast of the sailboat always make a mess... Not that I know of anything better, but some anti-seize and a steel screw may be "just as good".

-Aaron
Engman
9+ years installed in the engine - did a little work on it this last w/e. Did not see any issues.

M
URY914
QUOTE (yeahmag @ Aug 30 2005, 12:39 PM)
Doesn't stainless steel and aluminum set you up for some pretty nasty electrolosis? The stainless steel screws in the aluminum mast of the sailboat always make a mess... Not that I know of anything better, but some anti-seize and a steel screw may be "just as good".

-Aaron

That may be a problem in about 100 years.
Qarl
user posted image
double-a
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 30 2005, 11:46 AM)
QUOTE (double-a @ Aug 30 2005, 09:35 AM)

~a

6mm x 1. VW went to Phillips head screws for the tin in 77 and up, a pretty satisfactory move. As others have said, there are several lengths to consider, but most of the screws are about 12mm long. The Cap'n

good deal. i'll pick a buncha these up next time i'm over at a-boy hardware.

~a
Katmanken
Actually,

It's iron and aluminum that cause the iron to rust. The high nickle content in stainless prevents the iron form rusting.

I've seen bolts (used in oceanography) made from an iron/aluminum mix that are designed to corrode in seawater. Bolts are time designed to break after immersion. Attach a buoy to an instrument package with a bolt, chunk it over the side and come back in a week. Bolt corrodes and the bouy floats up so you can find it.

Accurate within 15 minutes. blink.gif

Don't be using these for your car sad.gif

Ken
tdgray
Just FYI.

I went to my local Home Depot yesterday. In thier specialty bolt section they had 6mm x 12mm allen head screws, black, two to a pack. Cost was $1.12 per pack.

I bought all they had, about twenty, $11.82 for all.
goose2
The stainless steel screws in the aluminum mast of the sailboat always make a mess...

You can buy a special thread lube in a tube at a boat rigging shop that will minimize this effect...West Marine may have it. Probably not worth worrying about though.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (tdgray @ Sep 9 2005, 07:28 AM)
Just FYI.

I went to my local Home Depot yesterday. In thier specialty bolt section they had 6mm x 12mm allen head screws, black, two to a pack. Cost was $1.12 per pack.

Ya coulda gone over to John Deere or Catapillar and bought about 50 for that much.
The Cap'n
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 9 2005, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (tdgray @ Sep 9 2005, 07:28 AM)
Just FYI.

Ya coulda gone over to John Deere or Catapillar and bought about 50 for that much.
The Cap'n

or ACE... I bought a box of 50 for $10
tdgray
Well F'in shoot me OK dry.gif

I was just letting you know that they had them there.

You guys both get your period today unsure.gif
Bartlett 914
I usually get my screws from MSC (mscdirect.com) or from Metric and multistandard components. Do a google and you wil find them.

Mark
URY914
QUOTE (tdgray @ Sep 9 2005, 08:02 AM)
Well F'in shoot me OK dry.gif

I was just letting you know that they had them there.

You guys both get your period today unsure.gif

laugh.gif clap.gif
goose2
I think you need to go to Wisconsin to get a genuine cheesehead screw. rolleyes.gif
TravisNeff
I went with the factory style fasteners from the local VW place. Looks good aftere a couple years and the price and availability was right.
ninepfourteen
McMaster Carr has Cheese heads. Use Milk of Magnesia to prevent galling.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.