Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new project, 2.0 fi
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rhodyguy
getting started. try to tidy it up and put a bit of shine on it.

k
rhodyguy
how do i get these f.l. ends off the injectors? i'd prefer not to break stuff.

k
Eric Taylor
If you lossen the clamp on the hose, you can fanagle the rail away from it, sometimes they are very tight, and if worse comes to worse you can take the little hose sections off and replace them with proper high pressure fi hose. They may look like they are on their tight , but they do come off if needed.
Eric
rhodyguy
oh no eric. they will be removed and new hose and clamps. is anybody missing a sparkplug socket?
rhodyguy
it just seems as though it would be so much easier to replace the chts NOW. does it need anything special on the threads upon r&r?

k
TravisNeff
Nothing on the threads at all even antiseize, it'll fuck up the CHT readings so I hear
rhodyguy
this engine cleaned up pretty easily for the initial crud off. a little pointy tool picking, shop vac and then the air nozzle. shop vac and comp running at the same time. what did you say? tomorrow i'll pick up some Oil Eater at costco and let it do it's magic. hose of with hot water and start reassembly. slight seepage on the rear main. so i'll add to the parts order tomorrow.

k
rhodyguy
this oily stuff is pretty superficial. the oil cooler was real clean. i'll use some berryman's and air to flush it well.

k
pete-stevers
looks good Kevin...if only you could have waited another month or two , i coulda sold you my 2.0, biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
asdf
MarkV
Mine is older. flipa.gif
rhodyguy
sprayed the engine down with full strength Oil Eater and let it soak. the hose is hooked up to the hot water faucet for the washer.

k
rhodyguy
rinse and repeat. damn near too bright when the sun is shinning. cool_shades.gif

k
rhodyguy
BONUS!!! ready to pull a few items off the 1.8 and start reassembly.

k
rhodyguy
well... while i'm in there.

k
rhodyguy
cleaned and powder coated. begin assembly tomorrow.

k
sixnotfour
Now get those car parts out of the house , Yes Dear laugh.gif
Lookin Good
jonwatts
mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif
Is that the tin that came with the engine or did you have another set powder coated?
Either way yer movin' fast~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sportlicherFahrer
Damn Kev! Lookin good! Would love to hang around and help while you are doin some of the work and install so I can kinda see how it all goes together. Possible power increase in the future for me. idea.gif
1bad914
Very nice Kevin! The clutch will work great on that!
rhodyguy
jon, some came off of the engine, some came out of the stash. jim, call/stop by during the daytime. all of these pieces ran $156.32, out the door.

k
Bleyseng
Lookin good, gonna have it together today?
fatlando
kevin,

I finally dropped my motor too! I'm going to seattle Friday evening, are you going to be around so I can drop off your MPS? Aren't you seeing Jeff too? Can you give him my MPS to fix?

cya and thanx for the tips. my motor is grungy looking too!
rhodyguy
will adjust the valves, temp put on the flywheel, should double check end play. quite a few items to button up before i start installing the tin. dave, check your pm's. Ken's powdercoating did a great job. they put little rubber plugs in all the threaded openings. i don't have to run a tap to clean the threads. i took the stuff in last fri. it was done monday but i picked it up yest. quick turn around. about 1/2 the price of a large coating shop in tacoma.

k
goose2
Nice work Kevin...curious about "oil eater" having tried various engine cleaners. What and where is it?
rhodyguy
randy, i buy it at Costco. Oil Eater is the brand name. it comes in a 1 gallon jug (about $7 iirc), including a spray bottle. not "fumy" like brake cleaner, as in you don't need to wear a respirator, nor will your garage blow up. spray it on let it work. you don't let it dry out. a little brush action and hose it off. repeat as ness. bio degradable. it works great for degreasing smaller items too. i delute it down, put it and the parts in a 5 gal bucket, let them soak. it also will pull old rattle can paint off too. which is a bonus in my book. but, it will dull the finnish on aluminum if you're not careful. cleans the hell out of it tho.

k
rhodyguy
Ken's also does ceramic with thermal barrier properties, coatings. i'm considering having the intake runners done with that(like chrome finnish). my only concern is that the heat will be kept out, not sealed in.

k
goose2
Ken's also does ceramic with thermal barrier properties, coatings.

Would you trust them to do a set of 6 headers? Cheaper than Jet maybe?
rhodyguy
randy, pm to be sent.

k
rhodyguy
busy day. adj valves, r&r front inboard engine mounts, check end play (thanks dave hunt), drain oil, discover the vw shop sold me the wrong oil filters "sorry dude. don't know what to tell ya", eat a bowl of chili out on the deck with dave, install tin.

k
rhodyguy
asdf. more tomorrow.

k
rhodyguy
too black. way too black.

k
rhodyguy
better. much better.

k
rhodyguy
still a few stray lines to install. new fan belt.

k
rhodyguy
Cerama-Chrome. i put the gear lube in the trans too.

k
rhodyguy
i should be mating the engine and the trans on sat or sun. hang a few items get things ready for install . hopefully next weekend.

k
sixnotfour
Is that really Cerama-Chrome, If it is it looks way better in person
Performance Coating in Auburn, Wa. does a good job Too.
914werke
I was wondering the same thing P.C. did the Cerma-Chrome thing on all my heat and HE and exhust stuff and it came out looking ..almost.. like chrome.

Looks good though Kev, I guess now youll be a FI convert. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
i took the items in for the Cerama-Chrome yest. how's that for turn around. the guy that does the actual coating has this rountine he's done i'm sure 1000 times. when the CC comes out of the oven it is this dull whiteish finnish, that rubs out pretty bright with fine steel wool. the runners are bright and the rest is the white. i start pacing. "i think there's a problem with my parts". "what do you mean?". " these are bright and those are white". "OHHH!!. you have to rub the parts down!". pretty funny, he had me going. you do you own rubbing out.

k

914werke
you do you own rubbing out.
then.....ahh thats just to easy! laugh.gif
rhodyguy
the engine is going in this car.

k
rhodyguy
asdf.

k
Gint
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 16 2005, 09:12 PM)
OHHH!!. you have to rub the parts down!". pretty funny, he had me going. you do you own rubbing out.

k

I'm not touchin that one.

Looking good Kev!
sixnotfour
agree.gif
How wide are those steelies?

rhodyguy
5.5x15. 195/60 tires. tons of room. the chrome trim rings help the wheels quite a bit. i like em'. i've got some koni reds for it too. ext adj front, internal on the rears. progressive rate springs. where exactly does the fuel line that runs across the front of the engine actually sit? right on top? tucked down it? got a picture? the ones i took missed this detail. no telling if it was correct or not anyway.

k
sixnotfour
My dad 20 years ago made a hard line that ran across the front on top with about 6 inches of rubber hose on each end . looked really clean and safe, less rubba hose
rhodyguy
trivial nonsense. salvaged correct zip ties.

k
sixnotfour
Hey hey dude you are missing 2 flywheel bolts.
boy that was close spank.gif beer.gif

Nice grind on the flywheel whats you're C dim.?
Aaron Cox
nice!!!

when did you get that red car??
rhodyguy
don't forget the flywheel o-ring. DOH!!

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.