Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear view mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
I have a rear view mirror that was positioned incorrectly. Does anyone know of a way to safely remove one?

Mark
Midtowner
Just wait. It will fall off on its own. wink.gif
Bartlett 914
Gee why didn't I think of that! wacko.gif

Considering I did this about 10 years ago, Maybe a better solution is around.

Mark
Midtowner
More seriously, I'd try strong dental floss or thin fishing line. You may have to replace the rubber pad that sandwiches between the glass and the mirror base. biggrin.gif
Bartlett 914
Thanks Eric

I think I will give that a try. Maybe some steel wire?

Mark
Jenny
Kragens, pep boys, etc. sell a solvent that will dissolve the adhesive. The trick is soaking the area. You'll be lucky to get a fraction of the liquid on the contact point. Most of it runs down your arms or off the can due to the angle of the windshield. It's especially hard if the mirror's mounted too high (as mine is) and there's no room between the targa pad and the mirror. I've heard people suggest using a straw and dripping it down onto the glass. I suppose eye dropper would work as well. Good luck!

Jen
Bartlett 914
Thanks Jen.

I will look for some.

My mirror is also mounted too high. I am getting tired of looking at the rear frame!

Mark
Joe Bob
Murphy's Law...it will never come off when you want it to....only when it is inconvenient. dry.gif
Tobra
put thread on a needle, enough to hold it up above car, tie it in a knot. Stick needle on top side of double side tape, against glass. Hold thread up, drip solvent on thread, and it should follow thread to needle, and get betwixt the tape and windshield. Protect the dash, as that solvent could not be good for it. I just made that up, but it should work. What do you need to stick it back on? regular double side tape, or what.
Elliot_Cannon
Just give it a good whack. Sucker comes right off.
cheers, Elliot
Ray Warren
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Sep 1 2005, 08:55 PM)
Just give it a good whack. Sucker comes right off.
cheers, Elliot

Be careful
I tried that and a chunk of glass came off with the mirror.
Cost me a new windshield.
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (Ray Warren @ Sep 1 2005, 07:00 PM)
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Sep 1 2005, 08:55 PM)
Just give it a good whack.  Sucker comes right off.
       cheers,   Elliot

Be careful
I tried that and a chunk of glass came off with the mirror.
Cost me a new windshield.

But it came off right? laugh.gif I forgot to put the LOL thing on the previous post. A good whack only works on my starter solenoid. smash.gif
cheers, Elliot
SpecialK
Untested, but I think if you had a heat gun and slowly circled the mirror (spiral motion, mirror being the center), from the outside of the windshield, that it would be enough to break down the adhesive (have an assistant pulling on/ready to catch it), without damaging the glass. But that's all beery.....uh, I mean theory. rolleyes.gif

Weekend started early..........Happy Labor(less) Day Weekend everyone!! beerchug.gif

(Don't hold the heatgun in one place too long or baaaad things will happen headbang.gif )
Jenny
It's usually NOT tape that's holding it on. More like a crazy glue type adhesive. I don't know if that responds to heat at all. I figured it's when the glue gets too dry and baked on, it eventually cracks/flakes off. The thread and needle trick sounds good though. I might have to try that. idea.gif

Jen
MattR
I used a razor blade, some acetone, and took my time. I started at one corner and worked my way around drizzling some acetone in the crack. It soaked in and got easier.
pfierb
Had the same problem so I went to a local glass shop they used a ultra violet heat gun a bunch of razor blades and some kind of solvent before it came off....even then a
small piece of glass chipped off but they filled it in with epoxy so looks perfect now.Take your time don't rush it.

Good luck Paul F.
Tobra
And to reattach, is it just heavy duty double sided tape, or is it super glue? Mine is in my glove box rolleyes.gif
Midtowner
If you are patient, you may want to consider one of Dr. Evil's mirror replacement:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...4&t=24383&st=20
aircooledboy
DON'T USE SUPER GLUE

There is a special glue made for attaching rear view mirror tabs. Go to a glass shop, pay them the 5 bucks, and let them do it once and you are done. "Super Glue" type glues create too firm of a bond between the tab and the glass. Since glass and metal have very different expansion rates, you will end up with a crack on a very hot or very cold day. headbang.gif Saw it first hand dozens of times when I worked in the auto glass business.
Rand
Pick up your daughter, she swings her backpack around as she sits down, knocks it right off. BTDT. biggrin.gif

Ouch, Ray!!! I've seen several get knocked off, but never seen them take glass with it. ohmy.gif
Guess I'll avoid that advice that says the bigger the hammer the easier it comes off.
Bartlett 914
It has been quite awhile since this thread. I think this was my first post here. I put up with that damn out of position mirror all these years. Well the windshield developed a crack and need replacing. This gave me the opportunity to see what it would take to get it off. My spare used windshield I discovered also had a crack so I have 2 to remove. The answer is heat. I used a mapp torch. I held the flame on the metal and made sure not to heat the glass. I held the flame parallel to the glass. I didn't have to heat it too much. I used a hammer to tap the base sideways. I did not hit hard. At first nothing. A little more heat and I tried again. This worked on both windshields. I would probably still be a little squemish if I were looking at a 400.00 piece of glass but this did work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.