Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teener has sad stance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jacco
Hi all!

last week I walked into the garage and noticed the left front side of the car was hanging very low.
I drove it quite a lot and hadn't noticed anything really strange in road holding or handling when I parked the car there...

I jacked up the car and the wheel lifted at the same rate as I raised the car so the shock didn't push the wheel down... I think this means my shock is toast... but would the torsion bar also be toast... what do you guys think?

If I replace the shock does the car need an alignment after that? I guess so but I'm not sure.
And is there a way to check if the torsion bar is broken without unbolting the left front side of the suspension and taking the actual bar out?

Hoping to find some answers..

thanks in advance
Jacco
Cap'n Krusty
Shocks don't really hold the car up, the torsion bars and springs do that. If it dropped a substantial amount, my money's on the torsion bar, the end cap, or the housing. Likely the bar. The Cap'n
SpecialK
agree.gif

Might also check the tightness of the forward attach bolts.
Jacco
tnx guys!

I'll have a look at it sometime soon to check it all out.

greets
Jacco
Jeroen
Hey Jacco,
If you wanna check if it's broken, just try the adjuster bolt (making adjustments shouldn't do anything/much)
I'll see if I still have some t-bars laying around...
Jacco
Hey Jeroen,

tnx, I'll check it when I'm back home at the parents place cool.gif
I should have some torsion bars myself, I have a scrap extra front suspension but I'm not sure if it still has the t-bars.

Is there any difference in 914 t-bars in years and models?

greets
Jacco
Jacco
Hey guys

Well it's been a while but the problem has been solved.
As you can see on the pics the torsionbar is definately broken. laugh.gif

user posted image

user posted image

The crack started out as a smal rust spot combined with rubbing of the bar on the housing which in part is probably caused by crappy suspension bushings

Tnx to the Cap'n for giving the right answer right away.
Tnx Jeroen for offering to look for a tbar, we still had one laying around, but maybe next time wink.gif

greets
Jacco
SLITS
Just remember that they are right and left and are marked so on the ends.
Bleyseng
agree.gif

I hoped you looked! Its stamped on the end R and L. Even in Dutch it means the same
davep
About 15 years ago I was replacing them for customers several times a year. I doesn't look like much remains of the gasket. Once water gets in there and starts causing rust, then the bits of rust serve to grind away the paint on the bar. Then the bar starts to rust and you wind up with a two piece bar. A lot of guys put a grease nipple on the tube and filled the tube with grease to prevent water from getting in.

You were lucky that it happened overnight, as is typical. I have had one go while driving. An interesting experience to be sure.
Toast
hijacked.gif

There is only ONE toast. biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE (davep @ Nov 20 2005, 01:18 PM)

You were lucky that it happened overnight, as is typical.

Had a rear one go in a customers 911...right in front of us in my driveway...quite the bang!

At least he was standing right there when it went.

rust of course dry.gif
Eric_Shea
Calling Grimstead. Bill may have some extras. I may have some extras as well (if you can't find one locally...)

Edit: Nevermind... just read that you had one.
Jacco
QUOTE (SLITS @ Nov 20 2005, 07:08 AM)
Just remember that they are right and left and are marked so on the ends.

Yup sure did, we extracted one out of the left side of a spare front suspension and double checked for the marking wink.gif
I lightly coated the bar with grease before putting it in.
That whasher thingy that is supposed to keep water out was pretty much wasted, I put it back never the less, should've put a new/different one in there... blink.gif

Well anyways the car is back on the road again which is always good right before winter starts and they start to put salt on the roads screwy.gif

greets
Jacco
hannuz
Heya Jacco,

Good to read your are back on the road. I know what you went through. Had the same thing a few months back.....just happened to me on the highway sad.gif

This is how mine looked.

Cheers,
Marc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.