Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BD's status
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
The shifting issue is fixed...reached for my "close enough" allen wrench set and tightened the bolt down....question is...can i locktite it when everything is covered in oil?

Trekkor
NO NO NO!

No loctite mad.gif

Ask Randal why not...

Let's just say sawzall-smiley.gif

KT
TravisNeff
You need the surface clean if you use an adhesive like locktite. Do yourself a favor and get new cone set screws. There is a hole in teh side where they press in a plastic dowell that acts somewhat like a nylock does.
bd1308
not good picture trekkor.

okay new cone screws are available from the usual sources....

purchase 2.
SirAndy
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 11 2005, 04:42 PM)
okay new cone screws are available from the usual sources....

the correct cone screws have a little piece of metal left in the thread that makes them lock. they're one time use only. and yes, the usual parts outlets should have them ...

cool.gif Andy

PS: it was i who sawzall-smiley.gif the shiftrod on randals car. it was easier and much faster that way. cut it, get it out of the car, deal with the locked up coupler on the work bench, then welder.gif it back together.
was still faster than trying to fiddle with it under the car ...
McMark
Andy, the one's I've seen have a bit of Nylon, not a bit of metal. wink.gif

Add John here in Napa to the list of locktiters. cool.gif
jgara962
Very timely.

Thank you for mentioning this to everyone Mark, I appreciate it laugh.gif

Yes, I just got done trying to drill out the cone screw from the rear linkage. Didn't go as well as I had hoped...ran out of drill bits size before it came out.

Lesson learned, no Locktite on cone screw. Now if you will all excuse me, I have some parts to order biggrin.gif
McMark
Hey, we're all friends here. We all learn from each others mistakes. I've made plenty!

I'll make it up to you with the parts you need. wink.gif
bd1308
how about teflon tape......

or should i just buy/get new cone screws?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.