Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This engine is everything I hoped for
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
As I get the tuning closer this thing just keeps getting stronger. The hardest thing is keeping from mashing it. I still have less than a hundred miles on it so it's still roll on and off the throttle.

Great news, it's not using any oil.

Dave
Root_Werks
So Dave, do you think you will still look into going seperate throttle throats vs the stock 2.0 intake?

Great news man! smilie_pokal.gif
seanery
smilie_pokal.gif Congrats!

We're gonna need an audio file when you get it all tuned up!! drooley.gif
davep
You are an inspiration to all of us with the 4 cylinders. I may very well go this route in a few years.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Sep 12 2005, 06:54 AM)
The hardest thing is keeping from mashing it.
Great news, it's not using any oil.

Dave

Whats wrong with mashing it? biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
Anytime that one is working out the kinks of an FI system its not good to "Mash it" simply because you never know just how rich or lean youmay be- thats what happened to Dave the first time around.... The break in period is VERY particular.. (Thats why I have a dyno and break in every engine with 30 channels of data acquisition)

Dave, glad to see its working well and that my kit made it happen.
Eddie914
Dave,

Congrats. I'd love to get a ride. We have switched roles. Your teener is running great and mine is now the car on jackstands.

Look what I found when I finally got the courage to empty the sump on the 2.7 - 6 ...
Eddie914
I think it may need new rings!
Curvie Roadlover
ohmy.gif
OMG!!!
rhodyguy
dave's engine will be a prime example of the capabilities of the stockish induction system. he told me last night that it was still pulling hard at 6.4k with room to go. when i drove the car last sat i told him it wanted to spin pretty far up the scale. i'll report with the ears pinned back info on wed.

k
DNHunt
Yep

It wants to spin. I keep having to move the RPM bins higher on the fueling map. My heads have single springs because the valve guides had been replaced before and Len didn't think that the second springs would fit. Jake used some motorcycle springs I think. Anyway, I set the rev limiter at 6800.

The issue of the stock intake is still up in the air. So far at the least amount of negative pressure I've seen is 4 kpa as compared to 2 kpa on the stocker. So, it may still want a little more air. It's good enough for breakin that's for sure. I've got a couple of plenums so I may cut the top off one and raise it a touch and adapt a larger throttle body off who knows what, then add a cold air intake.

I kind of like the snake in the grass thing. Under the hood looks stock enough to fool casual lookers. The stock airbox is so big you can hide a lot of tricks under it. The 911 guys at the last AX (still had Old Smokie in but it had the FI, ignition and other changes) didn't know untill I told them about the changes I made.

Dave
billd
Dave, Please provide details of what you've done to this engine for those of us who haven't been following your progress - or point us to the appropriate thread.
Jake Raby
billd,
Its one of my engine kits- Nuff said...

The only thing it has other than a normal kit is a set of Nickies and I made a substitution to the cam for better behavior with EFI- its nothing special and nothing more than any normal "Jake kit".. it a prime of example of just a tad of what I can do if you'll open your wallet.... boldblue.gif

The sky is the limit here fellas...

BTW- Nice piston above.. looks like a dropped valve to me... I thought sixes didn't break, WTF??
DNHunt
Jake

I've got to disagree with you on one thing. It's nothing unusual for you but it's pretty special to me. Having said that, here's a big public thanks for ALL your help. You're the man! smilie_pokal.gif

Dave
Jake Raby
OOps!

I knew it was special to you... I just wanted to let the guys know it wasn't even built to "Super Hero" specs.. and was based on one of my kits, not even a full engine from me..

Dave did an excellent assembly job- He is to be commended for his attention to detail and persistence/ patience...

Hell I'd let him do me a root canal any day!
billd
Can you say which kit? Or tell us displacement, compression, cam, valve chain enhancements? I'd like to hear what works and what doesn't work for folks.
JmuRiz
From the sig I'd guess it's a rusty 2270 kit.
With those kits I think jake could tell you compression, cam details, headwork needed etc off the top of his head if you quoted him the HP and TQ figures you wanted, haha.
Jake Raby
Billd,
Those recipes are proprietary because I have literally had to develop them from scratch and its taken my whole life to do so..

His kit is a 2270, based on my "C" specs. It has HAM/RAT modified 2.0 cylinder heads with I/E ratios that compliment the camshaft designed for EFI with a single plenum.

I wish I could share more, but as the Germans once said:
"VORSICHT!
bei Gesprachen feind hort mit"
Meaning that the enemy is always listening and I have had enough proprietary stuff stolen this year already anyway by sleazebuckets that are too lazy to figure it out on their own..

I have 133 PROVEN combinations for the type 4 engine, ranging from 1911cc to 2980cc with the highest concentration of those being the 2270 displacement that Dave has- almost 40 of those combos are 2270s.

Its just a matter of paying for my past efforts and experiences that are instilled in the parts and combinations that make people just as happy as dave on a daily basis, every time they turn the key...

"Its all in the combo" No one particular component is magical, it must all work like one well oiled machine...Right down to the exhaust system.

And yep- I have dozens of them memorized-
JmuRiz
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Sep 13 2005, 09:28 AM)
"Its all in the combo" No one particular component is magical, it must all work like one well oiled machine...Right down to the exhaust system.

Understatement of the week after reading of your CFR header saga on the other thread!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.