Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ceramic Heater
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
okay, my heating system is marginal at best...i still freeze when driving and full heat.

i have seen some examples of ceramic heaters offered online from various retailers, so question is how well do they work?
tanner
I have one in my 911, and it works pretty good unless it's below 40 degrees. The one I have is called Back Seat Heat. I have seen them at NAPA for around $50.00 or so.
bd1308
do you have the cigarette lighter one....I was going to look at getting the high-amp version taht would be hard-wired to the power.
scotty914
britt, dont waste you money on an electric heater, you would need at least 700 watts ( on 30 degree days )to really make a difference. which works out between 50 and 60 amps ( 12 to 13 volts ) or about as much as your alt puts out. the best thing you can do is to get some in seat heaters, then you will be warmer with out trying to heat the whole car.

or get some new HE's
bd1308
the jag and the rover both have heated seats, but they never work....both keep blowing fuses.

crazy english types.

how hot can these things make the person sitting on them?
Jeroen
seat heaters will make you feel all warm and fuzzy... like when you pee in your pants laugh.gif

check with Craig from Camp914, he has the seatheaters listed on the resources forum
rhodyguy
fine tune your marginal heating system. it should blow HOT air.

k
SGB
I've got one from Harbor Freight (oooh, how long will it last?) that plugs into the lighter. My heat works great, though. I've got it for emergency windshield defrosting in case I gotta get a clear WS some February morning before the engine heats up. I've actually never plugged it in....
I've never had insufficient heat, I made sure the various connections 'tween HEs and J-tubes and impeller housing were nice and tight by bending and reshapping the bent up little screwed on "compression plates" that hold the parts together. Recently I put SS on heat exchangers and now it doesn't even smell!
bd1308
well my 2.0 leaked so much oil I just ended up drinking oil after awhile....

I'll have to see what I can do with this motor....but right now it's running too hot and therefore leaking oil and such. I think I can end up with a leak free car.

The last "straw" was the breaking of my heater pull cables...can't get much heat without the pull cable....

and the first cable on the 3 way selector for air comfort needs to be looked at....I need to get into the fresh air box and clear out the garbage that is siezing the flap inside blah blah....

but I see the light at the end of the tunnel...I just didn't know what to expect with all of the heating options..
iamchappy
This one does a pretty good job at temps in the 20's you wont cook but your cabin will be warm. It needs to be hardwired to the battery. I mounted it to a spare ashtray.
rhodyguy
so, spend money on a fan/aux heater, etc, for tepid heat. or buy a new control wire from the bird and be done with it. unsure.gif

k
Rand
Britt, I'd have to agree with Kevin. Man, my heater will roast me out in no time. I know your climate gets colder than mine, but still, it should put out plenty. The system is simple. Are you sure yours isn't just in need of some attention? Or do you think it's working perfectly and still doesn't put out enough heat?

You could always install one of those gasoline heaters... THESE THINGS put out more heat than a 12v electric.
rhodyguy
wow. diesel or kerosene too. ohmy.gif . to heat the car!! WOW!!. biggrin.gif

k
davep
The only heating solution for a 914 is stainless steel heater boxes and a properly functioning stock heater system. You are certifiably nuts to think about electric heat.

BTW, I know the SSI boxes work well from years of winter experience in Canada.
bd1308
i have the SSI exhangers....

flapper valves look fine.

spongy NASA hoses look fine...i forgot where i put them though.
GeorgeRud
Don't know the prices for one of these, but a Espar B1LC heater is only 14x5x5.5 inches, I think that could fit somewhere in a 914 engine compartment, under the back trunk, or in the front trunk. Would 7500 BTU be enough to heat the 914 interior? With the prices of original Heat exchangers @$2200/side, and marginal heat/fit of aftermarket 914-6 units, a set of headers and one of these heaters may be the way to go on a conversion. Anyone done one yet?
Rand
There's something wrong with your heating system, and it shouldn't be complicated or expensive to fix. Start breaking it down. Does your blower work? If you take a hose loose at the driver's side footwell - front/top of long, it should be blowing a pretty good amount of hot air there. If it does then the problem is at least narrowed down to the dash area, vents, controls... and you'll have temporary heat in the cabin. If not, then you know it's at the back... HE connections, ducts, flappers, blower... Does the airflow change there when you move the heater flap lever?
bd1308
well i took it all off when i did the engine swap, then plugged the ports when i leaked a ton of oil....

i'll have to put it back together...i'll do it during fall break sometime.

i think it would be really cool If I could make the fall foliage or something..
Hammy
The stock heating in my car seems to work fine too... confused24.gif Although in winter it doesn't get THAT cold here in Cali.. Since the hot air just dribbles out, it does take the cab 5-10 minutes to actually feel warm, but once it's warm, you notice it. smoke.gif
Katmanken
That's not a resistance heater in the middle of the dash,

That sucka's a mini-microwave.....

Always have hot coffee and donuts with one of those, ohmy.gif

Extra heat if you leave the door open while it's running..... blink.gif

Ken
Rand
If hot air only dribbles out, you've got a leak or obstruction somewhere, or the blower isn't working.
Hammy
QUOTE (Rand @ Sep 13 2005, 11:05 PM)
If hot air only dribbles out, you've got a leak or obstruction somewhere, or the blower isn't working.

I don't know how the whole heating/air system works, but my fresh air blower does not work, does that blower also drive the hot air?
TravisNeff
No, your fresh air blower just blows outside air in the car. The fan in the engine compartment pushes the heat, also your engine cooling fan pushes air through your exchangers and will trickle warm air into the cabin when you have the lever pulled up part way.

I am with Kevin, you can make your car into a freakin oven on the coldest of days with properly working exchangers/plumbing.
Hammy
So my heater must not even be working correctly then? dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.