Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: eBay dispute, what would you do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
If you purchased this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=7995508917

Would you expect it to come with an O2 sensor?

The person I sold it to has now put a hold on $2000+ in paypal because he expected it to come with the stock narrow band O2 sensor. He wants $112 refunded. Granted, I'm not going to loose to much sleep over $112, but I really don't feel like I am at fault here and this guy already got a steal on the kit.

I'll admit that if I was going to do this again I would have been more explicit that there is no O2 sensor (not that there is no optional wide band O2 sensor). My language wasn't 100% clear, but I certainly never intended to be misleading and I think he was assuming things that he shouldn't have. I said it was missing two things (plug wires and O2 sensor [which isn't needed]), it was never pictured... ?!?!

Stick to my principles, or send $112 and get on with life... ?

-Steve

p.s. Here is his complaint as submitted to Paypal:

Buyer's Comments: This kit includes a part that was not shiped. Here is a copy of the email to the seller. The Clewett kit includes a narrow band sensor (I called and confirmed this) and you paid the difference for the wideband sensor and kept it. It's for this reason that you put a disclaimer in your ad. This is obvious or you would have never mentioned this option in the first place and sold this kit with no sensor. Here is a copy. I'm not an expert, but I believe this includes everything you'll need except for (i) spark plug wires, and (ii) (optional) wide band O2 sensor. You may not be an expert but you don't have to be as the kit that was represented the Clewett engineering C2 kit came standard with a narrow band sensor and does not require a wideband it's "an option" "not required" and I'm not asking for that I just want what I purchased. You sold a kit, and did not itemize each part you sold it as a complete kit that does not include one of the OPTIONAL components. I have never had a problem before on Ebay. When I emailed you and we made a deal the money was sent as we spoke that instant. I'm not fishing for money, but I feel strongly that you are incorrect and because of the many missing parts I have been considerably inconvenienced and I'm not looking for any compensation. All these missing items have to be shipped at my expense, taxes paid,duties paid, and I have to drive 40 miles to pick them up at the post office. My car will be at the shop for weeks longer. What I am asking for is VERY FAIR and is what you sold me. I will still leave you positive feedback even though I was greatly inconvenienced.
Gint
First of all...

"eBay drama is always fun, right?"

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There. That's out of the way.

Recent ebay transactions I've NOT been a party too, but whiners forced be to be involved in thier personal business anyway, have caused me to realize that it's not that important. Refund him the $112 and move on.
Mr.C
Give him YOUR hundred odd dollars and move on.

I was at my buddies VW shop today and he had a complete set of new chrome tin laid out. Story is he tore down an engine to be rebuilt for a customer over a year ago and she never came back. Well she finally shows up a few days ago wanting her parts, but doesn't want to pay the tear down fee. She calls the bureau and makes a complaint. My buddy caves because in his mind it's better to move on and not deal with this sort of customer. Problem is he threw away her nasty rusted bent chrome tin because he was going to throw it in with the rebuild. So he throws in a new set just to get her out. Now he's out the tear down cost and paying for new tin! John is a real good honest guy that works hard for his money. It bothers me to see people take advantage of him.
Bottom line, out of every 50 customers your going to get a something for nothing whinner.

rhodyguy
you clearly stated the 02 sensor and spark plug wires were NOT included in the auction. buyers fault for not paying attention. your call. worry about a neg feedback?, send the part?, don't send the part?, your call. how generous are you feeling today?

k
Gint
This guy will easily end up wasting over $100 of your time if you fight it. What's your time worth?
rhodyguy
shit! nearly 4 large retail. tell him he can have the 02 for $100 to include shipping. keep the spark plug wires. letting it go for $2.2k must hurt a bit. OUCH!!

k

eric914
He paid a reduced price for this kit. A signifigant % off retail.

How can he expect a retail $ refund for the sensor. Offer a refund for the sensor based on what discount he paid for the kit. Fairs fair. He got a great deal.
aircooledboy
Sorry Steve, but but based on your ad, I would have expected that kit to come with the narrow band sensor. confused24.gif

I see how you thought you told buyers about the absence of ANY O2 sensor, but I think an equally reasonable reading (and probably "more reasonable", honestly) is that the kit included everything that came with it originally but the plug wires. As far as the pictures go, you can't tell whats in those boxes very easily.

On the other hand, I think the buyer is being more than a bit of a wee-wee considering the great deal he got over retail, and you ought to tell him "fine, deals off", re-list it, and probably get more for it anyway. beerchug.gif
bondo
Just buy a universal $35 narrow band O2 sensor and send it to him. It'd probably work, right?
BMartin914
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 14 2005, 04:11 AM)
you clearly stated the 02 sensor and spark plug wires were NOT included in the auction. buyers fault for not paying attention. your call. worry about a neg feedback?, send the part?, don't send the part?, your call. how generous are you feeling today?

k

agree.gif

What an a-hole. He either didn't read the description closely, or wants something for nothing. dry.gif
Richard Casto
QUOTE (aircooledboy @ Sep 14 2005, 07:41 AM)
Sorry Steve, but but based on your ad, I would have expected that kit to come with the narrow band sensor. confused24.gif

I see how you thought you told buyers about the absence of ANY O2 sensor, but I think an equally reasonable reading (and probably "more reasonable", honestly) is that the kit included everything that came with it originally but the plug wires. As far as the pictures go, you can't tell whats in those boxes very easily.

On the other hand, I think the buyer is being more than a bit of a wee-wee considering the great deal he got over retail, and you ought to tell him "fine, deals off", re-list it, and probably get more for it anyway. beerchug.gif

agree.gif

It does sound like the narrow band was to be included, but that the optional wide band was not. This is on the assumption that the narrow band was part of the initial kit.

But I would say, "sorry for the confusion", offer him his money back and mention to him that he got a deal even with the missing part and that you feel you could get more than he paid even with the missing item.
Joe Bob
Screw the guy....moron can't read. Tell him to send the whole thing back and refund the money.

Relist it for a higher Buy it Now price, ding the weenie with bad feedback and suggest he get better reading glasses....
jasons
I can't read the ad because I am at work so maybe this may not be a prudent reply

But.....

If he got a smokin deal on the product and if the ad is "accurate", I would tell him he can have the kit "as is" for the bid price or he can have a full refund. If he chooses the full refund, you reserve the right to cancel his bids on the relisted auction. If he got the kit for half price like the thread says(again I can't read the ad) he will probably cave in. Obviously he doesn't want to miss the chance at a "Deal".

If you feel you weren't accurate, you should take care of him. If you are neither here nor there, you could always offer to split the cost of the O2 sensor ($50 or $60).

I resent re-negging a price after auction. I offer a refund, if I feel its justified. Or I tell em to sit and spin if its not finger.gif
Toast
QUOTE ("Z" @ Sep 14 2005, 12:04 PM)
Screw the guy....moron can't read. Tell him to send the whole thing back and refund the money.

Relist it for a higher Buy it Now price, ding the weenie with bad feedback and suggest he get better reading glasses....

agree.gif
siverson
Not that anyone cares, but just FYI this was resolved - I liked the idea of just getting it all back and reselling it to someone else (I also offered to pay for return shipping), but no response. Instead, he has dropped his complaint but asked for 1/2 of the sensor cost ($56 instead of $112). I sent him $56 and we're done. grouphug.gif

On tomorrows episode see how... smile.gif

-Steve
jasons
QUOTE (siverson @ Sep 15 2005, 07:07 AM)
Not that anyone cares, but just FYI this was resolved - I liked the idea of just getting it all back and reselling it to someone else (I also offered to pay for return shipping), but no response. Instead, he has dropped his complaint but asked for 1/2 of the sensor cost ($56 instead of $112). I sent him $56 and we're done. grouphug.gif

-Steve

Yeah, thats the best way to back those guys into a corner. Buy it or lose it. He wasn't going to bet his $2000 savings to win $100, who would?

Splitting the cost of the O2 sensor is a reasonable resolution.
Grimstead
QUOTE (siverson @ Sep 15 2005, 08:07 AM)

-Steve

Good Deal smilie_pokal.gif
That's the way I would of tried to do it.
mharrison
Sounds like the best resolution for all involved. I noticed that it only had 1 bid. Was it a Buy It Now, or just one bid? If it was only one bid, then I think working this out was definitely the best course of action.

my .02 cents.
siverson
No, there were many people interested in it (17 bids or so), but it didn't meet reserve. We then agreed on a price and I relisted it so that "he would still be protected by eBay/paypals mechanisms". I guess that protection turned out to be really important to him...

-Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.