Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repairing outside mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
My outside rearview mirror has clouded a bit. Is there a method for replacing the glass part. I would suspect that a glass shop could cut a piece of mirror to fit, but how to secure it?

Anyone ever done this?

Figured it would be a common problem, but search did not really help.
Dave_Darling
If it's a stock mirror, you can remove the glass several ways. First, you can just break it, then deal with the pieces. Or you can carefully pry out the black plastic stuff around the glass--that is what holds it in. The plastic tends to be somewhat fragile by this point in time, so it is easy to break. Did I mention it is NLA?

That said, I konw a number of people who have successfully removed the glass from the mirror.

Or heck, you could just have a new piece glued on top of the old glass.

--DD
Hammy
Couldn't you just glue the sucker on there ? cool.gif
Tobra
so it can't be done with the OEM plastic seal, perhaps I will take a broken one and see if any glass shops have any ideas. Black silicone caulk would be pretty ghetto, but you would probably have to closely inspect it to notice
porsche944Turbo
Hey man, that happened to me too. On my 944, the right view mirror started coming off little by little due to the sound system and bass that a 1200W amp makes, anyway, i was able to save the mirror, took it out completely ,and crazy glued it back on. Its been two weeks and no sign of weakness. for me, crzy glue worked. by the way, i put the mirror on top of the black film thats under it. Hope this helps
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.