Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some eBay Product advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grimstead
Should be getting pretty close to putting the engine back in but I will need new CV gaskets.

So I figured why stop at gaskets and not get new boots & bolts.

Then I saw this on the eBay...

914 4 OEM Rear CV Joint Boot Kit

Any opinions on this deal? Seems good to me. confused24.gif
MikeP
Ne experience with the seller but a word of caution. You know about keeping the same bearings in the same holes and what a bitch the CVs are to reassemble right? Cost looks killer though.
mightyohm
Seller looks sketchy, but the kit looks useful. I didn't even know you could buy those old style boots anymore.
Part Pricer

Why does the seller look sketchy? I don't understand. I guess 100% satisfaction with 749 user ratings isn't quite good enough. sad.gif

mightyohm
Sorry. Flashy ads and cliche website names are an immediate turnoff for me. No rational reason. The seller could be totally legit. It's just kind of random for them to be selling 914 parts, that's all.
Part Pricer

They are an IMC reseller. They've picked parts from the IMC inventory that they feel can gather them some attention.

BTW, the current price on the auction is well below their cost.

Grimstead
Thanks for the feedback everyone. In the beggining I was hesitant for the same reason Jeff had but hearing the rest of you (Paul) I gave it a shot.

So far I am really glad I did. I bought on the afternoon of the 19th and it showed up today, not bad in my book. Everything looks good. The one thing that really stands out about these guys (getcoolparts) was that they even left feedback for me right after I paid (seems most sellers nowadays, wait to see what kind of feedback you leave before they leave before they do, if they do). At this point, they have a new customer.
Aaron Cox
you have a messy job ahead of you...

can you take a close up of the clamps smile.gif
ArtechnikA
you still get to go buy 16 8mm Schnorr washers...
Grimstead
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 23 2005, 05:12 PM)
you have a messy job ahead of you...

can you take a close up of the clamps smile.gif

A. "We" have a messy job ahead of us (Sucks to be my friend huh?).
B. Just put the stuff in the garage, I'll take some more tonight (or you can just come over).

ArtechnikA: Can I resuse my old washers or where can I get new?
Cap'n Krusty
Wrong clamps. They're gonna cause an imbalance, cut into the boots, and be awkward to install. The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 23 2005, 05:27 PM)
Wrong clamps. They're gonna cause an imbalance, cut into the boots, and be awkward to install. The Cap'n

thats what i was lookin at.... they lool like hose clamps....
Grimstead
Yeah, those are hose clamps, any pictures of the correct clamps?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Grimstead @ Sep 23 2005, 08:19 PM)

ArtechnikA:  Can I resuse my old washers or where can I get new?

they perform a very important function. ask any of the guys who've had bolts back out at speed...

they're available here for example, or any of the usual suspects, or McMaster-Carr.

8mm Schnorr washers. the factory used about 6 kinds of lockwashersw throughout the car. with all those to choose from, they used Schnorr washers in only this application. they'd have used one of those others if they'd been up to the task.

as we've seen recently, it's a good idea to re-torque after some time (a week?) in service.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.